VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, VAR can intervene even if the referee does not give a decision. In fact, that was the main reason given for VAR: to pick up infringements the ref couldn’t see.

This isn’t true. The VAR can only review decisions made by the referee. There is no provision for the referee deferring a decision to the VAR. He must t always make an on field decision first.

This isn’t true. The VAR can only review decisions made by the referee. There is no provision for the referee deferring a decision to the VAR. He must t always make an on field decision first.
This is not remotely true.

VAR can (and has) intervene when a referee misses an incident, such as with challenges or handballs in the box. Also with potential red card challenges or violent altercations.

Even the act of not calling something they saw is a decision by the ref, so your false logic doesn’t even hold up.

VAR can ask the referee to review many types of incidents, whether the ref saw it and made a decision on the pitch or not.

The ‘clear and obvious error’ threshold creates massive grey area, though, giving far too much leeway to the referee and opportunity for influencing matches.

Rubbish!

It hasn’t stopped VAR intervening before when it suits.

This is not remotely true.

VAR can (and has) intervene when a referee misses an incident, such as with challenges or handballs in the box. Also with potential red card challenges or violent altercations.

Even the act of not calling something they saw is a decision by the ref, so your false logic doesn’t even hold up.

VAR can ask the referee to review many types of incidents, whether the ref saw it and made a decision on the pitch or not.

The ‘clear and obvious error’ threshold creates massive grey area, though, giving far too much leeway to the referee and opportunity for influencing matches.

May be semantics re-reading your previous post. VAR spotting an incident a referee had missed is not him making the original decision. The referee has made the decision it wasn’t an offence by virtue of not giving it.

I ( maybe mistakenly ) read your post as meaning a referee can defer a decision to the VAR to make to make the original decision.

May be semantics re-reading your previous post. VAR spotting an incident a referee had missed is not him making the original decision. The referee has made the decision it wasn’t an offence by virtue of not giving it.

I ( maybe mistakenly ) read your post as meaning a referee can defer a decision to the VAR to make to make the original decision.
No, that is not what I was saying. Referees should not be doing that under the current rules.

Though, now that you’ve brought it up, I do think there is a case to be made that some referees are effectively doing that now by choosing not to make decisions on the pitch and waiting for VAR to review the non-decisions.

Many of the newer referees especially seem more reluctant to make big calls on the pitch.

Haven't we been informed that VAR has indicated that the ref needs to 'look at this'? It might be a penalty or a red card. He can then go over to the telly and decide, but I'm certain that that has happened in previous games.

No, that is not what I was saying. Referees should not be doing that under the current rules.

Though, now that you’ve brought it up, I do think there is a case to be made that some referees are effectively doing that now by choosing not to make decisions on the pitch and waiting for VAR to review the non-decisions.

Many of the newer referees especially seem more reluctant to make big calls on the pitch.

Ok, crossed wires. Whether there’s anything in your final sentence can’t really be proved either way. All I will say is a new referee to the Premier League will have refereed 99.9% of his previous career games with no VAR, so it would take a sudden shift in what got him in that position to referee at the top level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.