VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
So explain why Klanfield and the Swamp aren't currently up to spec if it were that simple?
I believe it’s mandatory for all clubs promoted to the league to have sufficient infrastructure for screens and cameras to be installed.

Absolutely beyond the pale that the rags and the dippers are ‘allowed’ to bypass this and it’s not something that is spoken about relentlessly.

They should be fined and threatened with points deductions every season until it’s installed.

Been having a look at the Rashford offside, because it didn't look right. Yes, I understand about perspective in principle, but it still looked a little distorted.

So hear me out.

What I did was take the image someone posted on here, and extended the relevant lines beyond the frame to see what happens. And whilst the way the grass is cut, and the halfway line is marked, gives straight lines across the pitch, the offside line is bent inwards at the centre of the pitch. Have a look at the below image with a line drawn across the pitch from where the offside line crosses both touchlines (you may need to enlarge it). There is a clear bend in the line, which isn't there for the grass lines. It looks like a few inches.

Not saying this is done deliberately, rather to suggest that we are accepting what happens with these lines without anyone independently appraising it. And when we do what we can to review it, the mm offside calls look a little suspect.

Rashford.jpg

Does anyone actually know how they are drawing these lines? If they are drawing them just from the images the broadcasters give them, the same images we see, how do they correct for perspective and parallax, when they don't have half the data points necessary to identify the correct angles (any more than we do). This is a complicated business and I would really like to hear how they are able to do this with the degree of accuracy they are claiming.

Does anyone actually know how they are drawing these lines? If they are drawing them just from the images the broadcasters give them, the same images we see, how do they correct for perspective and parallax, when they don't have half the data points necessary to identify the correct angles (any more than we do). This is a complicated business and I would really like to hear how they are able to do this with the degree of accuracy they are claiming.
https://www.premierleague.com/news/1488423 From the official PL site.

Been having a look at the Rashford offside, because it didn't look right. Yes, I understand about perspective in principle, but it still looked a little distorted.

So hear me out.

What I did was take the image someone posted on here, and extended the relevant lines beyond the frame to see what happens. And whilst the way the grass is cut, and the halfway line is marked, gives straight lines across the pitch, the offside line is bent inwards at the centre of the pitch. Have a look at the below image with a line drawn across the pitch from where the offside line crosses both touchlines (you may need to enlarge it). There is a clear bend in the line, which isn't there for the grass lines. It looks like a few inches.

Not saying this is done deliberately, rather to suggest that we are accepting what happens with these lines without anyone independently appraising it. And when we do what we can to review it, the mm offside calls look a little suspect.

View attachment 69731

I don't know what accuracy they are claiming but there can be as much as 20cm difference from one frame to the next if the last defender is static in this case, and the attacker is running at 10 m/s. Most top forward players run slightly faster than that.

I can only read the first paragraph but I think I read something similar at the time. It said there were less cameras at that game because it was an FA Cup game than there normally are at a Premier League match. Does this article go on to say Anfield has less cameras generally than the minimum specified amount the Premier League insist on for other grounds?

Yep. Thanks for that, but it's just PR waffle.

How do they determine when the ball was played? It's manual isn't it? But this says "Hawk-Eye can use any broadcast camera to identify the point of contact with the ball". What I think they mean is that it enables a VAR operator to guess/ manipulate when the ball is kicked from any camera and then that moment is synchronised with all the other cameras to help determine the actual offside line, which again is done manually with the help of H-E correcting for perspective/parallax. Disingenuity in explanation.

But my point rather is how does the system, H-E is it?, draw the lines, at what angles, taking into account perspective and parallax, how and with what data points to fix the correction? I am at the point now where I feel like questioning every little thing they do and how they do it. Trust gone completely.

And it doesn't answer my question about the apparent bend in the offside line in the middle of the pitch. I suppose camber could be a reason, but the half way line and the grass lines don't show a corresponding distortion.

It doesn't matter. I am not expecting answers. It's just a reflection on my dissatisfaction with the whole thing and the growing realism that the system, like their lines, is bent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.