VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Thanks for that, but it's just PR waffle.

How do they determine when the ball was played? It's manual isn't it? But this says "Hawk-Eye can use any broadcast camera to identify the point of contact with the ball". What I think they mean is that it enables a VAR operator to guess/ manipulate when the ball is kicked from any camera and then that moment is synchronised with all the other cameras to help determine the actual offside line, which again is done manually with the help of H-E correcting for perspective/parallax. Disingenuity in explanation.

But my point rather is how does the system, H-E is it?, draw the lines, at what angles, taking into account perspective and parallax, how and with what data points to fix the correction? I am at the point now where I feel like questioning every little thing they do and how they do it. Trust gone completely.

And it doesn't answer my question about the apparent bend in the offside line in the middle of the pitch. I suppose camber could be a reason, but the half way line and the grass lines don't show a corresponding distortion.

It doesn't matter. I am not expecting answers. It's just a reflection on my dissatisfaction with the whole thing and the growing realism that the system, like their lines, is bent.
All the cameras have to be precisely calibrated on all 5 axis (roll, pitch, yaw, x, y). If any of those cameras are even slightly out of calibration then drawing the lines is essentially guess work.

All the cameras have to be precisely calibrated on all 5 axis (roll, pitch, yaw, x, y). If any of those cameras are even slightly out of calibration then drawing the lines is essentially guess work.

And we are dealing with people here who can't identify the appropriate defender to determine offside, forget to draw lines, think running with the ball and faking to shoot isn't interfering with an opponent and take ten minutes to fix a lineman's transmitter. Fills you with confidence, no?

3918686.jpg

How’s this not offside, either? What are the odds on our two main challengers getting dodgy offside goals given in their favour in the same weekend?

View attachment 69793

Oh come on, neither of them touched the ball or interfered with an opponent attempting to play the ball. Affecting the goalkeeper's decision making isn't covered by the 4 letter of the law offside determinants. You know the rules.

So what I am saying is that they are not offside according to the letter of the law but it is subjective anyway.

Oh come on, neither of them touched the ball or interfered with an opponent attempting to play the ball. Affecting the goalkeeper's decision making isn't covered by the 4 letter of the law offside determinants. You know the rules.

So what I am saying is that they are not offside according to the letter of the law but it is subjective anyway.
How’re they not blocking the keepers view?

Why add subjectivity to a rule that was perfectly fine as it was. If you're offside, you're offside. Whether you're "interfering" or not. What was wrong with it? We love to fuck with things that are perfectly fine. Then they don't fix things that truly spoil the game like persistant time wasting, crowding round the ref and throw ins (i fucking hate throw ins).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.