VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the referee has had an absolute shocker here.

I scrutinised a video of the goal and there is absolutely no way you can comprehensively say it didn’t cross the line (and you would need to have a very high level of confidence to overrule GLT).

You see the referee moving back and forth between frames on the VAR monitor. The frame in the still image above doesn’t even look like the one where the ball is furthest forward to me, there is at least one other frame where the ball is still moving forwards where it looks further ahead.

As mentioned above the framerate of GLT is 10x greater than broadcast cameras. I think it’s clear the referees didn’t understand that because they decided to overturn it based on two frames which could be either side of the ball crossing the line. Awful decision which just shows how little the referees know about their own limitations.

Sure GLT isn’t infallible as we’ve seen but it needs to be VERY obviously wrong to be overturned.

The only saving grace for this ref is if the Hawkeye team had given them the heads up that they thought something might be off with the calibration and to make a call on the video evidence instead - but I haven’t heard anybody say that’s what happened.

I’ve not seen it but from what I read they seemed to be suggesting that the tech. guy in the VAR room knew there was a malfunction. So they effectively disregarded it and resorted to what they could see. I imagine in that situation the burden of proof resorts back to having to have clear evidence to give a goal rather than clear evidence that GLT was wrong.

I’m no tech. guy but I don’t imagine any system is foolproof. GLT seems to be as reliable as you can hope for though. This is only the third time I’ve heard about it malfunctioning across all the leagues. You could argue that for really close ones, know one is going to question it if it was wrong but if as it seems here, they can tell when it’s playing up, it seems to working to an acceptable level.

The more matches I watch the more I am convinced there is undue influence of match situations in an attempt to realise specific match outcomes. That includes (non)decisions for bookings (some that would see key players for certain teams sent off or not sent off), highly suspect and chaotic officiating (and wildly inconsistent applications of the laws of the game) which seems to be influenced by off the pitch entities in real-time during matches, and farcical offside decisions (with not even the graphics being provided making much sense).

And every week the PGMOL are now admitting “mistakes” are being made, but nothing is being done to prevent them in the future, nor are they taking any steps to increase transparency and confidence in officiating or VAR.

I think the powers that be think they are untouchable and that not even the new independent regulatory body will do anything to hold them to account.

And the sad thing is they are probably right.

After today's Spurs v Chelsea match anyone going to stand up and support the Var official ?

Attwell though am guessing he ain’t a referee and var makes all decisions for him and that’s where it’s going!

Oh funny that there ain’t any rag or scouser referees ever!

Because they are Told when they start to become referee Do not say your a rag or a scouser! Corrupting then all from the off!

Attwell though am guessing he ain’t a referee and var makes all decisions for him and that’s where it’s going!

Oh funny that there ain’t any rag or scouser referees ever!

Because they are Told when they start to become referee Do not say your a rag or a scouser! Corrupting then all from the off!
Every week we have a Var controversy it has lost all credibility.
I agree with you, the refs are told by var what to give. We think they are playing advantage when in fact they are just waiting for orders.

Just catching up with Match of the Day. That Arsenal disallowed goal seemed very harsh. Not even sure what they’ve seen after three replays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.