VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
If referees are afraid to give big decisions and the VARs aren’t inclined to overrule them, you’d have thought that would naturally lead to less penalties?

But the exact opposite is true. There’s been more penalties awarded on average per season in the VAR years than in any equivalent time frame since they started recording these things.
That's only true for the penalties that the ref sees, and that are close to 50/50, where in the past the ref would make a decision. I agree that refs would now leave some of those to VAR, rather than giving them, and that's a problem if VAR is getting changing advice, and now being instructed to not overturn in most cases.

So the number in that category may have dropped slightly, but it's more than made up by the number of penalties given for incidents the ref doesn't see, or doesn't see clearly enough, and that would never have been given without VAR.

If referees are afraid to give big decisions and the VARs aren’t inclined to overrule them, you’d have thought that would naturally lead to less penalties?

But the exact opposite is true. There’s been more penalties awarded on average per season in the VAR years than in any equivalent time frame since they started recording these things.
Yes there has been more penalties
But that doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be even more on top of it.
The thing that says if all is that we all watch the replay of an incident and we still have absolutely no idea what VAR will give.
It should be obvious, but every decision is different
It’s being managed by idiots

The thing that says if all is that we all watch the replay of an incident and we still have absolutely no idea what VAR will give.
It should be obvious, but every decision is different

I’d disagree on that. Certainly as far as fouls are concerned at least. They’ve been pretty consistent this season in sticking with the on field decision for penalties in all but the most clear cut errors.

Just out of interest, do you have the stats since Webb came in and changed the threshold for intervention mid-season?

I’m not sure exactly when he took over. There was a spell when it was announced and he was sniffing around for a while, before the date he actually took over.

I’d disagree on that. Certainly as far as fouls are concerned at least. They’ve been pretty consistent this season in sticking with the on field decision for penalties in all but the most clear cut errors.
Which means more wrong decisions are left uncorrected

Why no pen re-take for encroachment? Wasnt it one of the players who encroached who cleared the ball?

The one thing VAR should get right is the black/white decisions. Off side, encroachment etc

If between var and the ref they shit out of other decisions , hiding behind ‘clear and obvious’ , they should get the black/whites right

Why no pen re-take for encroachment? Wasnt it one of the players who encroached who cleared the ball?

The one thing VAR should get right is the black/white decisions. Off side, encroachment etc

If between var and the ref they shit out of other decisions , hiding behind ‘clear and obvious’ , they should get the black/whites right
I didn't notice at the time, if encroachment occured then it's VAR's job to order a retake. I'll have to rewatch it

I thought there was encroaching but it wasn't the guy who got to the ball first. Seemed fair enough to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.