VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, several were still appealing when the ball went in to Brighton’s half before being put out. McAllister ran 20 yards to ask the ref how he hadn’t seen it.

VAR had to request he look at it, especially given the many “errors” Brighton have received public apologies for over the season. It would have been a massive scandal had they ignored the blatant handball. Fairly sure Brighton would have gone full litigation.

And Mariner was absolutely crushed when he was forced to give it.
He did look crestfallen when he had to give it, The Ref and VAR ignored the blatant Liverpool handball at West Aaam recently . Maybe Brightons many highlighted VAR shaftings meant even the Teflon rags had to play by the rules tonight

You don't think it's incompetence to have the stupid rules in the first place? People have difficulty, and will, quite rightly, always have difficulty understanding why they want to disallow goals for 1mm offside that no-one can see, but won't correct other decisions that everyone can see.

They really don't do themselves any favours.

I can see the arguments for and against. If you’re going to have VAR judging offside positions then IF they have the technology to more or less turn it into a factual decision, why not use it? You’re never going to make everybody happy. If they decided to ignore any offside calls that were wrong to within a metre, then you’ll still get controversy when someone is a metre + or - a mm offside

As for overturning subjective decisions like fouls, a lot of people seem to want different levels depending on the situation.

One of the most repeated comments on here is that the VAR should only interfere for the most blatant of mistakes. I can understand that argument. The common used phrase that they don’t want matches re-refereed makes sense in theory.

But then the sane people are bemoaning the system every time a possible City penalty isn’t overturned, when it clearly falls into that category. .

Let’s be honest the issue is simple
1 refs are bottling the big decisions because they feel VAR will let them know if it’s an issue
2 VAR ref doesn’t want to go against the on pitch ref and will avoid highlighting anything if possibel

As such there is a shocking amount of accountability that is missing
No one is willing to make a big call and it’s getting worse.

In independent VAR official who isn’t mates with the ref would be a good start
Or have a ref who is willing to make a tough call and then be told he is wrong by VAR

All in all it’s a shambles

539 pages on VAR yet we probably all agree that the first step is to let the public hear the decision being made. That would be difficult in the stadium I agree when certain clubs cant fit a tv screen in their dumps.

To me it's so simple let us hear what's going on. All the time it's done behind the fans backs it will always be accused of being fixed.

The fact the authorities refuse to let the fans know to me means it is fixed, they are clearly hiding something. I am still pissed of with the rags equaliser against us. Why couldnt we hear how the ref made that decision ? Because the game is bent. But having said that to make things even more confusing VAR gave Brighton a penalty last night ! So perhaps is betting that is pulling the strings ?

One of the most repeated comments on here is that the VAR should only interfere for the most blatant of mistakes. I can understand that argument. The common used phrase that they don’t want matches re-refereed makes sense in theory.

But then the sane people are bemoaning the system every time a possible City penalty isn’t overturned, when it clearly falls into that category. .

On offside, I firmly believe you can be TOO accurate. The law wasn't written to judge if a person's toe is offside in their running stride, when the rest of their body is onside. It's just ludicrous that a player can be looking across the line, can time his run perfectly, be 100% sure by line of sight that he is onside, but be called offside because some asshole with computer tells him he had his knee, or his foot or even his toe, extended beyond the last defender because of where he was in his running stride at some moment plucked out of the air at random by same asshole. Even if you can completely judge to the nanosecond when the ball was kicked it would still be against the spirit of the game to call things like that offside, imo.

At the end of the day, though, do the benefits of VAR, and there are some, outweigh the downside of goals being disallowed for offsides that can't be detected by the human eye, the continual delays, the removal of spontaneous celebration in the ground, idiotic protocols that lead to just as many debatable decisions as before, the Rashford non-offside (which pushed me over the edge on VAR quite frankly), how many dubious handball decisions and now dives are making a comeback? And the endless fucking poetry.

From my distant standpoint, I'm not sure, and it would be interesting to hear what people who can actually go to games think.

I suppose it will always just be a constant cycle

I can point to decisions that would not have been given pre VAR, like Shaws handball, or Stones goal v Arsenal being flagged etc

likewise, there will always be a penalty or major decision that should have been given even with VAR.

… I don't think there will ever be a system that pleases. VAR can find ways to constantly evolve and improve though so that's why i will always be for it, transparency is the next phase they simply have to bring in - but still not hopeful this will please that much for those that are already preconditioned to thinking bad decisions are corrupt decisions.

Let’s be honest the issue is simple
1 refs are bottling the big decisions because they feel VAR will let them know if it’s an issue
2 VAR ref doesn’t want to go against the on pitch ref and will avoid highlighting anything if possibel

As such there is a shocking amount of accountability that is missing
No one is willing to make a big call and it’s getting worse.

In independent VAR official who isn’t mates with the ref would be a good start
Or have a ref who is willing to make a tough call and then be told he is wrong by VAR

All in all it’s a shambles
That is it in a nutshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.