VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anybody genuinely interested in an unbiased, informed review of VAR decisions, ESPN journalist Dale Johnson ( @DaleJohnsonESPN ) does a weekly round up of all the VAR decisions in the Premier League every Monday. He knows the laws of the game. He understands VAR better than most and he isn’t afraid to call out decisions as bad calls.

This week he directly addressed a question asked on here numerous times this week, as to why Darren England was right, in his opinion, to give a penalty and send off Cancelo but also right 24 hours later not to intervene in the Alexander- Arnold incident, when acting as a VAR.

285719d107f975ec9772b60b78c64256.jpg

4d495ef44dc68013afc73227003d31e1.jpg

For anybody genuinely interested in an unbiased, informed review of VAR decisions, ESPN journalist Dale Johnson ( @DaleJohnsonESPN ) does a weekly round up of all the VAR decisions in the Premier League every Monday. He knows the laws of the game. He understands VAR better than most and he isn’t afraid to call out decisions as bad calls.

This week he directly addressed a question asked on here numerous times this week, as to why Darren England was right, in his opinion, to give a penalty and send off Cancelo but also right 24 hours later not to intervene in the Alexander- Arnold incident, when acting as a VAR.

I can understand that but it leads to the uncomfortable conclusion that in the Cancello incident VAR would not have intervened whichever decision (no foul/foul/foul +yellow/foul+red) provided that the referee had a clear view of the challenge and it was simply his opinion. To me that makes it even more important that we hear the dialogue between the on field referee and VAR.

I can understand that but it leads to the uncomfortable conclusion that in the Cancello incident VAR would not have intervened whichever decision (no foul/foul/foul +yellow/foul+red) provided that the referee had a clear view of the challenge and it was simply his opinion. To me that makes it even more important that we hear the dialogue between the on field referee and VAR.

Obviously we’ll never know. But to everyone bar a few City fans, the Cancelo incident was as clear a penalty and red card as you could see. So I’m sure that if the referee hadn’t seen it like that for any reason, the VAR would have asked him to reconsider. Unlike the DeBruyne penalty, where the decision on the field was almost certainly going to stand either way.

That is bullshit.

It’s exactly how it fucking works. Ref says no penalty but VAR tells him to go look again and when they do, it’s normally reversed.

Gaslighting fuckers lol

Obviously we’ll never know. But to everyone bar a few City fans, the Cancelo incident was as clear a penalty and red card as you could see. So I’m sure that if the referee hadn’t seen it like that for any reason, the VAR would have asked him to reconsider. Unlike the DeBruyne penalty, where the decision on the field was almost certainly going to stand either way.
VAR is not needed for such obvious cases. VAR is needed for non-obvious cases. It would have been strange if the referee hadn't seen the penalty in the Cancelo episode. Although football is sometimes filled with weirdness.

VAR is not needed for such obvious cases. VAR is needed for non-obvious cases. It would have been strange if the referee hadn't seen the penalty in the Cancelo episode. Although football is sometimes filled with weirdness.

Not sure what you mean by saying it’s not needed for obvious cases? It was the number one driving force behind its inception. To correct obvious mistakes made by the referee.

But it wasn't a penalty and red to everyone else. When I spoke to people in work, none of whom are City fans, opinion was divided and on Talksport (I know) yesterday, I think it was the Chelsea fan presenter on Hawksbee and Jacobs said it was never a penalty or red. And that was just the few people I spoke to or heard, so you can multiply that by whatever for footy fans as a whole.
So as I say, not everyone thought it was pen and red.

But it wasn't a penalty and red to everyone else. When I spoke to people in work, none of whom are City fans, opinion was divided and on Talksport (I know) yesterday, I think it was the Chelsea fan presenter on Hawksbee and Jacobs said it was never a penalty or red. And that was just the few people I spoke to or heard, so you can multiply that by whatever for footy fans as a whole.
So as I say, not everyone thought it was pen and red.

Maybe I should have qualified it by saying…Anybody with even a rudimentary understanding of the laws of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.