VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there we go - needless dig at a fellow poster.

He offered no opinion on whether he thought it was the correct decision or not, so reply was no reflection on him. In any case, stating that someone has no clue about the laws of football isn’t having a dig. Just stating a fact. I have no clue about the rules of rugby union but I wouldn’t be offended if someone pointed that out.

Maybe I should have qualified it by saying…Anybody with even a rudimentary understanding of the laws of the game.
I have no idea how good the knowledge of the laws of the game are to my friends at work or the guy on the radio. It was their opinion, and as one said, who is a Brighton fan, it was pretty much the same challenge Haaland made on the Brighton defender when he scored his goal.
Plus looking at some of the decisions made by referees in the league this season, I'm not sure some of them know the laws of the game as well as they should.

I have no idea how good the knowledge of the laws of the game are to my friends at work or the guy on the radio. It was their opinion, and as one said, who is a Brighton fan, it was pretty much the same challenge Haaland made on the Brighton defender when he scored his goal.
Plus looking at some of the decisions made by referees in the league this season, I'm not sure some of them know the laws of the game as well as they should.

I’d disagree it was a similar challenge to Haaland’s. In that instance you had two players who only had eyes for getting to the ball. There was contact and on another day a referee could have seen it as a foul by Haaland. But it’s the sort of contact that referees have been encouraged to rule as part and parcel of a contact sport when players are challenging for a ball.

Cancelo had no intent to play the ball. He literally changed the angle of his run from heading towards the ball, to realising he wasn’t going to get it and diverting his run straight into the man and barging him over. The only explanations I’ve seen trying to justify why it wasn’t a foul have been claims that it was similar to an incident that hadn’t yet happened at the time.

Not sure what you mean by saying it’s not needed for obvious cases? It was the number one driving force behind its inception. To correct obvious mistakes made by the referee.
Yes, of course. I mean, it's rare to turn to VAR in such obvious cases. But if there was a mistake there, then VAR helps fix it.

I’d disagree it was a similar challenge to Haaland’s. In that instance you had two players who only had eyes for getting to the ball. There was contact and on another day a referee could have seen it as a foul by Haaland. But it’s the sort of contact that referees have been encouraged to rule as part and parcel of a contact sport when players are challenging for a ball.

Cancelo had no intent to play the ball. He literally changed the angle of his run from heading towards the ball, to realising he wasn’t going to get it and diverting his run straight into the man and barging him over. The only explanations I’ve seen trying to justify why it wasn’t a foul have been claims that it was similar to an incident that hadn’t yet happened at the time.
Definitely a rough game. He did not play with the ball, but with another player. Also, intentionally. Red!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.