Vat on Independent school fees?

Well what is your opinion of it? You come across as wealthy enough to private educate your kids, do you think you should pay VAT?

No I don’t - I have paid for my lad to go to private schools since age 3 and he is coming up to GCSEs. Think I pay £15k a year and it will go upto around 18. I can afford it but I know for a fact a high percentage of parents really struggling to pay the fees and they are just normal working people doing slightly better than average in professional jobs.

The maths on it don’t add up. I genuinely believe it will put off 1/5 1/6 going to independent schools so cancel out any sums saved. Think it is just a vote winner as so many in the left think all those at these schools are Cameron or Boris. Think it is genuinely harsh.

What I will say is that on another topic the wages on offer in this country to the vast majority are totally disproportionate to the cost of living and housing that is where the real issues lie! Not sure what the answer is on that to be honest but that’s for another thread.

It is what actually works for society that needs to be revalued: a banker will be repaying their student loan almost immediately but a teacher or nurse possibly never.

We should always question what we do, of course, but we have arrived at a situation of a failing economy, and a failing society, because of our values.
That’s a fair point regarding the banker and the nurse, but my point is that at the moment anyone can effectively take any degree course they want, rack up a fortune in terms of debt and - given the high default rates - we know that there everyone else will be picking up the bill for a large share of these courses.

And we know that plenty of course offered at many universities fail to boost the employment prospects of students, and yet society as a whole is funding them because of the way the current system works.

Personally I don’t think that’s a good situation and it limits the ability to help students in certain areas where more graduates are needed.

The maths on it don’t add up. I genuinely believe it will put off 1/5 1/6 going to independent schools so cancel out any sums saved.

That maths doesn’t add up.

There’s about 600,000 kids in private schooling at an average of £20k/year.

If 1/6 leave then there’s 500,000 and the VAT brought in is £2Bn p.a.

Educating a child costs the state on average £7k p.a, so the 100,000 new state school kids will cost £700m.

Net profit £1.3Bn p.a.

Sorry but that’s irrelevant and so is what would be the case if you were in charge.

As it stands, a nurse who goes to university will never pay off their student loan from working as a nurse.

That makes them worthless by your own logic.

So either nurses are worthless or your theory about degrees has completely fallen apart after the briefest examination.
Do you seriously think I believe nurses are worthless?

What I will say is that on another topic the wages on offer in this country to the vast majority are totally disproportionate to the cost of living and housing that is where the real issues lie! Not sure what the answer is on that to be honest but that’s for another thread.

This is what happens when you elect a bunch of wealthy landlords to Parliament and give them a long stay in office. The 2019 intake will be the ones regretting their mindless culture wars because its denied them the chance to build up a portfolio and cash in

Educating a child costs the state on average £7k p.a, so the 100,000 new state school kids will cost £700m.

Net profit £1.3Bn p.a.

Vat 20 percent

Net profit £1.3Bn p.a.

And the cost of building the 100000 new school facilities and places that could be needed immediately? It doesn’t add up you are correct on that.

This is what happens when you elect a bunch of wealthy landlords to Parliament and give them a long stay in office. The 2019 intake will be the ones regretting their mindless culture wars because its denied them the chance to build up a portfolio and cash in

Not a uk issue. Applies across most of western world. Seen house prices in Australia?

Vat 20 percent

And the cost of building the 100000 new school facilities and places that could be needed immediately? It doesn’t add up you are correct on that.

It’s not going to be immediate, not everyone is going to pull their children out immediately, particularly given how private school fees go up considerably through the year groups. There will be people who can only afford up to year 6 now, or up to year 9, or up to sixth form, and as their children age they’ll have to either find more money or move their kids.

We can build new schools easily enough.

£2Bn a year builds a lot of schools.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.