Vat on Independent school fees?

Another 111 kids looking for places in state schools….

Think it's 70 not the 111 capacity, which in itself I would imagine is the key issue for the school. Some parents will send their children to another independent schools, there's already another one touting for their business. So if you assume about 50 pupils looking for state places and assume an even distribution across year groups and a bit of geographic dispersal of those numbers, it's really not a significant number of pupils to absorb into the system though the devil is always in the detail. Might be a couple of hot spots especially if parents are keen for their children to continue to receive a catholic education.

It's a shame for the children to be potentially split up from friends and obviously for the staff being laid off at Christmas but the fact that they are giving less than one term's notice seems odd and suggests the school hasn't been financially stable for a while. Maybe they were banking on a decent intake this year to get volume up closer to capacity/minimum operating cost, but this year is a low birth rate cohort so I imagine numbers are down.

Think it's 70 not the 111 capacity, which in itself I would imagine is the key issue for the school. Some parents will send their children to another independent schools, there's already another one touting for their business. So if you assume about 50 pupils looking for state places and assume an even distribution across year groups and a bit of geographic dispersal of those numbers, it's really not a significant number of pupils to absorb into the system though the devil is always in the detail. Might be a couple of hot spots especially if parents are keen for their children to continue to receive a catholic education.

It's a shame for the children to be potentially split up from friends and obviously for the staff being laid off at Christmas but the fact that they are giving less than one term's notice seems odd and suggests the school hasn't been financially stable for a while. Maybe they were banking on a decent intake this year to get volume up closer to capacity/minimum operating cost, but this year is a low birth rate cohort so I imagine numbers are down.

I agree. There are always going to be schools closing. If there are 2500 private schools in the UK, they won't all exist forever.

As for the capacity, Labour are probably most relaxed about the policy because every council area in the country has the free spaces to absorb almost all private school kids, never mind the small percentage that are likely to actually move.

Yep, they mentioned issues with teachers' pensions, so it's hardly an issue that's just come about in the last year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.