Vat on Independent school fees?

There is one I am familiar with which is an excellent school that parents are desperate to get in to. Private school standards in a state school naturally in huge demand. Has a very small catchment area but once you go to day board or failing that, full board, you can often secure a place - whilst they don’t offer flexible boarding they do say that as so many of their boarders live locally they do tend to go home at weekends.

Aren't most of these state boarding schools free for day students?

Aren't most of these state boarding schools free for day students?

Moreover if there is a successful model of state run boarding schools that excel and are able to earn additional funds from boarders to spend on the learning of all then surely we should replicate it wherever it is feasible to do so.

It is almost as if a state school has looked at private schools and gone “we will have some of that” and done it - certainly beats the alternative of a race to the bottom as the levelled playing field is actually to make it worse, not better.

Funny how the “it’s a capitalist society” folks aren’t on the same tune when it comes to this?

My son went to state boarding school and absolutely loved it, apart from the first year, which he hated. It definitely helped him hugely academically. He has very fond memories of that place. And because of where it was I got to see him more than I otherwise would. They were totally relaxed about visits. In the weekday evenings, or at weekends. No need to give any notice to the school. You could just rock up.

My girlfriend hates the notion of sending your kids away, and I get that, but no two children are the same and there will be plenty who absolutely love the experience. My lad is living testament to that.

And should there be VAT on the boarding fees? Absolutely there should.

My son went to state boarding school and absolutely loved it. It definitely helped him hugely academically. He has very fond memories of that place. And because of where it was I got to see him more than I otherwise would. They were totally relaxed about visits. In the weekday evenings, or at weekends. No need to give any notice to the school. You could just rock up.

My girlfriend hates the notion of sending your kids away, and I get that, but no two children are the same and there will be plenty who absolutely love the experience. My lad is living testament to that.

And should there be VAT on the boarding fees? Absolutely there should.

But there isn’t going to be VAT charged on those fees. Two tier I believe is the in vogue term. Is it a state model that, you think, should be replicated far more having seen the benefits?

Just ask your parents to go to your local state school. You won't have to carry privilege for the rest of your life.

But there isn’t going to be VAT charged on those fees. Two tier I believe is the in vogue term. Is it a state model that, you think, should be replicated far more having seen the benefits?
I’m saying there should be.

Yes, without a doubt. A hybrid school (which it ultimately is) is a pragmatic way of raising educational standards.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.