Vat on Independent school fees?

TBF to the government they have thought about a few of the potential loopholes and covered them in the draft legislation. I may not agree with the policy in principle but if it’s going to happen then I do expect it will be robust so credit where credit is due (even if I think it may be open to legal challenges).

And so it begins…

And so it begins…

There is absolutely no possibility that they can succeed and, unless their lawyers are doing it Pro Bono, they’re sailing fairly close to the wind if they’re suggesting they can.

Johnson is the single biggest argument, not for VAT, but for the abolition of private schools.
If you looked at his qualifications and read his CV, he’d have got nowhere near to being a success. I saw him described as “if he’d been born the son of a Suffolk farmer he’d have been allowed to pick some herbs, but wouldn’t have been allowed to drive the tractor or operate any machinery.”
Instead, because of untrammelled privilege, he managed to achieve the highest office in the land. And we wonder why this country is like it is……

Applying that argument, it logically follows that anyone who cannot afford a private education has children that are disadvantaged in education.

Then they should bring a case against the government to raise standards so they are not disadvantaged. That doesn’t change the argument being made (however strong or weak it is).

Applying that argument, it logically follows that anyone who cannot afford a private education has children that are disadvantaged in education.

It's slightly more nuanced because there is a real issue with services for that demographic in state schools, but it reeks of the lawyers trying to centre their challenge around a more emotive campaign than "it's unfair on the rich kids". The law wouldn't give much thought to whether or not the state system is doing a decent job though. The fact is, the state provides free educational support to those with special educational needs and disabilities so you either pay up or shut up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.