Vat on Independent school fees?

Do you think it should?

I don’t think it should waste time on token gestures and Labour well know it is else they’d be going after the charitable status as well. It’s not serious legislation but rather to appease a wing of the party and show how left Starmer is….honest guv.

Fundamentally I don’t think good education should be less attainable, but rather more attainable. I’d much rather hear them talk about tax rises to increase the education budget by 30% than this nonsense. Make private schools unviable through competition.

For most careers it probably doesn't make a huge difference.

For the ones with power; politics, senior lawyers, senior civil servants, journalists - it's "curious" how much of a difference it makes.
Those that enter politics just compounds my point, no? They're not in their positions because they are intellectual titans, they are there because they have the asterisk (Eton or equivalent) next to their names. The prestige of their education slickened their career traction, not the quality of the teaching they received. Someone brought up Johnson; the perfect example. Ironically enough, if he had been state educated I think he'd have turned out a much better, emotionally intelligent human being. Sound parenting is key; with a foundation of sound parenting any child's learning can be entrusted to the state.

On the matter of taxing these private institutions, it would only be worthy if every penny taxed was redistributed to state education, and not stashed away in the coffers for "austerity" or some vanity project a decade down the road. Suffice to say, I wouldn't hold hope of such redistribution happening.

Bar the last sentence you’re spot on IMHO
Maybe "most" was unfair. But if I were to ever have kids and the wherewithal to pay for their private education, I'd rather put my 30k pa in a trust fund ready for adulthood. A privately educated child could go on to become a world-leading scientist, or a coke-addled banker that ends up homeless; in the instance of the latter, ~250k being available as a safety net is much better than ~250k pissed away on private education.

Those that enter politics just compounds my point, no? They're not in their positions because they are intellectual titans, they are there because they have the asterisk (Eton or equivalent) next to their names. The prestige of their education slickened their career traction, not the quality of the teaching they received. Someone brought up Johnson; the perfect example. Ironically enough, if he had been state educated I think he'd have turned out a much better, emotionally intelligent human being. Sound parenting is key; with a foundation of sound parenting any child's learning can be entrusted to the state.

On the matter of taxing these private institutions, it would only be worthy if every penny taxed was redistributed to state education, and not stashed away in the coffers for "austerity" or some vanity project a decade down the road. Suffice to say, I wouldn't hold hope of such redistribution happening.
Absolutely - I wasn't totally joking when I posted earlier that private education is actually a burden, which the taxpayer should be compensated generously for. Not sure how many billions the private education sector should be paying us in compensation for a fuckwit like Boris Johnson, but not sure any amount was worth it :/

On your other point, a few years on, it will become impossible to say where any money is spent, but the introduction of the policy is specifically matched up with spending in schools.

I wouldn't be surprised if the more ambitious targets for the revenue raised are actually spent before the money starts coming in. Right now, it's just a convenient way of Labour making promises to increase state education funding, without the Tories telling everyone their tax will go up.

Do private schools teach home economics?

I feel education went to shit when we stopped teaching kids how to darn socks, change plugs, make fire and basic cooking skills

Do private schools teach home economics?

I feel education went to shit when we stopped teaching kids how to darn socks, change plugs, make fire and basic cooking skills
I left school in 1968.
Was never taught any of those.
So just when were they part of the curriculum?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.