Vet Fees

https://www.animaltrust.org.uk/clinics/

These are very good on prices within their control. Once they did not charge for a consultation and about £15 for the tablets, and about £40 for another when a cyst was drained. If they need to do blood tests and therefore send to a third party the prices would go up though for example.

Was literally going to post this.

These are the good guys as they are non profit.

https://www.animaltrust.org.uk/clinics/

These are very good on prices within their control. Once they did not charge for a consultation and about £15 for the tablets, and about £40 for another when a cyst was drained. If they need to do blood tests and therefore send to a third party the prices would go up though for example.

They never charge for consultations, only treatments. Their vets all tend to be very young, often foreign too, and it's their first position after graduating. The upside of this is they are fully up to speed on latest practices. And by sheer luck, a young Greek vet recognised our boy's illness as one common in the Med. That literally saved his life.

Only downside to the one we used (Failsworth) was their admin side was bobbins. Took forever to send info to insurers, dozy in returning calls etc.

This it?

For future reference, to help you search. If it was on Terrestrial television, these sort of documentaries usually fall under a specific badge of the major broadcasters. Therefore if you can remember the channel, it is easier to narrow down the search, i. e. BBC panorama, Channel 4 Dispatches etc.

If you are at a loss searching for the specific a programme because you can't remember the title or format brand, search for an index or wiki that contains the network's brands.
Thanks for that. I think that was the programme but l am a little confused with dates. At the time the programme was on we discovered my greyhound had cancer in his knee area and a second X Ray revealed he was riddled with it and advised he should be put to sleep. It was quite expensive but perhaps not too bad looking above.
Someone mentioned a new New Zealand vet had just set up was good and cheap. So when l got my Staffie we registered there. From her vaccination certs we can work out we got her after June 2012 which is quite a time after the programme on Panorama and l don't think l was dogless for two years.
I will have to chat to the family to find out when l was in hospital and also City's fixtures about 10 years ago. Our trophies are always good milestones for me;)

This week, I have been charged £920 by my vet for an x-ray. The explanation I was offered was that she was a larger dog and that she needed hospitalisation. Now, both of those explanations don't ring true - she weighs 30kg so less than a Labrador, for example, and the hospitalisation meant just staying in the vet from morning until evening, as is normal for an x-ray. This led to me looking into the issue and finding that in the last five years, many practices have increased their fees by upto 5x. As a consequence, I started a petition for a regulatory body in the industry. If you also think this is an issue, I would be grateful if you would sign and share my petition:

I spoke to my wife who has been a vet nurse for 30 years with the same clinic and it's owned by a partnership.
I asked her why an xray would cost the equivalent of $1600AUD.
She said a lot of clients don't account for the cost of the anaesthetic and the likelihood of having to take numerous xrays in order to find the issue. If, for example, its a leg break, they will take at least 4 xrays to make sure all potential breaks are found. They don't stop after finding the first break. It's not like they can ask the dog, "where is it broken?" Also, anaesthetics don't last a long time. Especially on bigger dogs. They can't ask the dog to stay still while the xray is being done. If they move or jolt, it has to be re-done. Owners think they can hold the dog while its being done, but as you know, everyone has to clear the room. Someone in this thread mentioned using human medication for conjunctivitis which cost a lot less. She is quite sure it won't work on canines and here in Australia the cost would be a lot less because it's subsidised by the government through Medicare. Don't know how it works in the UK.
Having said that she can't work out why it's cost you so much. Based on that you wrote in the original post and with limited information, it would cost the equivalent of about £300 give or take here.
I don't know if any of this helps, but I guess she wanted you to know, it's not as straightforward as you think.

Recent article in the FT about a private equity firm buying up vet practices, it's in Ireland but similar situation to the UK. There is another in the Times more directly about vet fees rising as a result.

That’s probably the source of most of these increases.

I haven't linked the article as if you click from here it won't work for non subscribers, but here is the title- search for it via Google and it should be accessible.

"vets private equity" besides the aforementioned articles also brings up some other interesting links.

Going to the vet: what happens when private equity invests in a cottage industry​

I spoke to my wife who has been a vet nurse for 30 years with the same clinic and it's owned by a partnership.
I asked her why an xray would cost the equivalent of $1600AUD.
She said a lot of clients don't account for the cost of the anaesthetic and the likelihood of having to take numerous xrays in order to find the issue. If, for example, its a leg break, they will take at least 4 xrays to make sure all potential breaks are found. They don't stop after finding the first break. It's not like they can ask the dog, "where is it broken?" Also, anaesthetics don't last a long time. Especially on bigger dogs. They can't ask the dog to stay still while the xray is being done. If they move or jolt, it has to be re-done. Owners think they can hold the dog while its being done, but as you know, everyone has to clear the room. Someone in this thread mentioned using human medication for conjunctivitis which cost a lot less. She is quite sure it won't work on canines and here in Australia the cost would be a lot less because it's subsidised by the government through Medicare. Don't know how it works in the UK.
Having said that she can't work out why it's cost you so much. Based on that you wrote in the original post and with limited information, it would cost the equivalent of about £300 give or take here.
I don't know if any of this helps, but I guess she wanted you to know, it's not as straightforward as you think.
We had a full breakdown and they did some of what she suggests. Nevertheless, the vet's conversation with me was that she had no control over price and it was extremely expensive, in her words.

We had a full breakdown and they did some of what she suggests. Nevertheless, the vet's conversation with me was that she had no control over price and it was extremely expensive, in her words.

Part of a large group? Worth checking out if there is private equity involved in their ownership.

Perhaps a local run family practice might be more affordable.

I think I mentioned this on a previous vet rip off thread many Moons ago but they're still up to their old tricks. Vets pushing Synoquin at high mark up prices when it's just chondroitin and glucosamine dressed up under a snazzy brand name.

Lots of complaints over the years as the ingredients chondroitin and glucosamine can be bought off shelf at any supermarket/health shop for pennies. So now they've bunged in some Dexahin which has omega 3 so now it must be worth the ridiculous mark ups. Lrge breed 120 tablet pack is £70 plus. I bought into the dream for our Rottie by a vet who pushed it our way for a large mark up.

Synoquin provides a safe complementary or alternative approach to traditional drugs.
Synoquin EFA Joint Supplement Large Breed Tablets is a nutritious supplement that encourages the growth and maintenance of cartilage and healthy joint formation, offered in a tasty, chewable tablet form.
Synoquin EFA provides essential nutrients which dogs may not receive from their daily diet and is an effective alternative to more traditional drugs for dogs that are suffering from arthritis.
Key ingredients, such as the naturally occurring Chondroitin and Glucosamine, provide support to the repair and maintenance of joints, allowing dogs to keep active and improve overall health.

Oh well our indelible duo look happy enough on the packet after being previously crippled with arthritis.
After taking the supplement see how they both frolic. Must be the extra fish oil bunged in to stop them complaints.

za04DLi.jpg

I asked our vet if they were the same as what we took and he said yes as long as the dosages were managed.

We both go for our bi-weekly trot around Heaton Park and this wouldn't be possible without Natures Best (dyor)

Last edited:
For those with dogs with Arthritis, I give mine (size wise between a Beagle and a small Lab and about 14 years old) half a tin of sardines every morning, I’ve missed giving them to him 3 times, and the next day he’s been back to limping, once back on it , right as rain the next day, so something to think about, for something around 30p a tin at Aldi/Lidl you can’t go wrong, Omega 3’s are just as important for dogs as they are us .

Ps, many Vets are robbing couldn’t give a shit wanker bastards as far as I’m concerned.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.