Vet Fees

Letter to MP:

In your constituency, and across the nation, independent vet practices are being bought out by national chains and by venture capitalists. Though the name above the door may remain, this is having a dramatic effect on vet fees and pet insurance costs, with many families deciding that they cannot afford to have their pet treated, or plunging themselves into debt to do the right thing. As a nation of animal lovers, it cannot be right that there is no regulatory body supervising the industry with a code of practice regarding fees and charges.

A short time ago, I began a petition, the link to which is below:

http://chng.it/BqrQFx7L

On a personal note, I recently was charged more than £900 for an X-ray and anti-inflammatory medication for my dog by MediVet, in Aigburth, a charge that the vet apologised for, informing me that her company set the fee but that the same treatment, in Spain, would have been approximately £100. MediVet has taken over several independent practices in the South Liverpool area but maintains the existing signage for the formerly independent businesses. Similarly, the cost of my pet insurance has risen by 600% in the last four years as an inevitable cost of the soaring vet fees, though there are also allegations of collusion between vet practice and insurers emerging. A number of people have since approached me with specific examples in their area.

Since starting the petition, the issue has been raised in the national press:

Calls for inquiry as equity vultures snap up vets amid rising bills and welfare fears | Daily Mail Online

Vets charge three times as much as online chemists for pet remedies | News | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

I would be very grateful if you could raise this as an urgent matter where the nation appears to be falling victim to unregulated big business and I am happy to discuss the issue further or provide additional support.

Best regards,

Letter to MP:

In your constituency, and across the nation, independent vet practices are being bought out by national chains and by venture capitalists. Though the name above the door may remain, this is having a dramatic effect on vet fees and pet insurance costs, with many families deciding that they cannot afford to have their pet treated, or plunging themselves into debt to do the right thing. As a nation of animal lovers, it cannot be right that there is no regulatory body supervising the industry with a code of practice regarding fees and charges.

On a personal note, I recently was charged more than £900 for an X-ray and anti-inflammatory medication for my dog by MediVet, in Aigburth, a charge that the vet apologised for, informing me that her company set the fee but that the same treatment, in Spain, would have been approximately £100. MediVet has taken over several independent practices in the South Liverpool area but maintains the existing signage for the formerly independent businesses. Similarly, the cost of my pet insurance has risen by 600% in the last four years as an inevitable cost of the soaring vet fees, though there are also allegations of collusion between vet practice and insurers emerging. A number of people have since approached me with specific examples in their area.

Calls for inquiry as equity vultures snap up vets amid rising bills and welfare fears | Daily Mail Online

Vets charge three times as much as online chemists for pet remedies | News | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

I would be very grateful if you could raise this as an urgent matter where the nation appears to be falling victim to unregulated big business and I am happy to discuss the issue further or provide additional support.

Best regards,
900 quid ? Jesus, I'm never buying a dog !

Letter to MP:

Best regards,
You were definately done over on that cost , it should have been about £200 max i think ,the meds costs about 25 quid unless they charge dog owners more for the metacam than cats

You were definately done over on that cost , it should have been about £200 max i think ,the meds costs about 25 quid unless they charge dog owners more for the metacam than cats
Just received information from a friend who was charged £96 for pain killers for his dog - this is growing.

Just received information from a friend who was charged £96 for pain killers for his dog - this is growing.
It is a scandal that is for sure , i have a healthy pets club at mine , six monthly check ups and monthly flea and worming stuff free , discount on vaccinations , works out enough to be worth having but the other costs are mind boggling. Merlin ate some hornets like you do and his face swelled up , £70 for consultation, metacam shot , captive market unfortunately

We use animal trust vets which is a none profit organisation and there are only a handful of them dotted around the northwest in failsworth,Ashton and Bolton and possibly a couple of others

We recently acquired our American bully at 8 weeks old and for a health check,both puppy vaccinations micro chipping and worming tablets the grand total was £70
Definitely worth a look at and there x-ray charges etc are on there website

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.