Video refs

On a serious note, I don't see why the Premier League has exclusively English referees. We've long since established that it's mainly foreigners who are at the top of the playing and managerial professions. Why do they think that referees would be any different? They should be hiring the best referees from around the world with the added bonus of not risking appointing referees to their favourite club (even though they all claim to support some obscure non-league side).
I was only thinking the same myself this morning. Refs are from neutral countries in European competition and it isn't perfect but at least the bias element can be removed. It isn't for lack of money in the PL so why not?

I have always been an advocate of teams having one challenge per game. That would ensure it wouldn't be video replays every 2 minutes and teams would not waste the challenge. Bit like cricket but they have too many. One challenge each would not affect the spectacle at all and would give teams the opportunity to make a decision. They should take videos away from the dugouts to stop the influence from the side.

Why not just have video refs watching the game in the background and when they see a significant incorrect decision then they buzz the ref to let him know to stop the game and pull it back to where the incident occurred? Even give them a mic to let them know what they'd missed.

I disagree with one challenge per game, especially with the number of errors that take place these days in each game

Why not just have video refs watching the game in the background and when they see a significant incorrect decision then they buzz the ref to let him know to stop the game and pull it back to where the incident occurred? Even give them a mic to let them know what they'd missed.

I disagree with one challenge per game, especially with the number of errors that take place these days in each game

Yeah maybe but if there is an agenda how would it help us :-)

It depends who looks at the video and makes the decision. Howard Webb on BT is often wrong on how he interprets ref calls.
Hopefully it won't be @Crouchinho

He might be 'wrong' but at least it's a considered wrong and i daresay his interpretation of 'wrong' isn't as wrong as you think

(and i doubt howard webb would be able to review all decisions on a saturday unless you clone him and that isn't worth thinking about!)

Enough now.

Other sports use them it works. We are the most lunatic sport in the world yet so subborn in accepting change.

As a team that 9/10 occasions dominates games, play in the oppositions half or box we stand to benefit hugely from pushing this.

Last week vs Everton the situation happened too quick and the ref took the cowards option. Today... blatant... twice for me as rose pushed sterling to make a goal saving challenge in the first.

Video refs are inevitable. Sooner the better.

I am all for video reffing to ensure that goals are only awarded when there are clearly no infringements in the immediate build up, for penalties to be reviewed before they are given, and for red cards to be scrutinised before the player leaves the pitch. The only pitfall, and it is an enormous one, the reviewer will be chosen on a match by match basis from the likes of Taylor, Mason, and Marriner!

And who is not convinced that football is the only sport yet to move into the 21st century because the powers that be might find that their brand is compromised when teams like City get the penalties they are entitled to and teams can turn up to The Swamp knowing that the result will reflect what actually goes on during the match and not based upon some RagShirt doing a triple salchow for the modern-day Howie to give the double sanction of a pen and a sending off, and where two footed tackles and elbows receive exactly the same treatment they get elsewhere?

He might be 'wrong' but at least it's a considered wrong and i daresay his interpretation of 'wrong' isn't as wrong as you think

(and i doubt howard webb would be able to review all decisions on a saturday unless you clone him and that isn't worth thinking about!)
What the fuck does all that mean?
Let me make it clearer - if there is bias applied to certain teams via the on field officials, what's to say the same bias won't be applied by the off field officials who review the video during the games?

I am all for video reffing to ensure that goals are only awarded when there are clearly no infringements in the immediate build up, for penalties to be reviewed before they are given, and for red cards to be scrutinised before the player leaves the pitch. The only pitfall, and it is an enormous one, the reviewer will be chosen on a match by match basis from the likes of Taylor, Mason, and Marriner!

And who is not convinced that football is the only sport yet to move into the 21st century because the powers that be might find that their brand is compromised when teams like City get the penalties they are entitled to and teams can turn up to The Swamp knowing that the result will reflect what actually goes on during the match and not based upon some RagShirt doing a triple salchow for the modern-day Howie to give the double sanction of a pen and a sending off, and where two footed tackles and elbows receive exactly the same treatment they get elsewhere?
Spot on. The off field officials could be selected to continue their shenanigans but then there would be no room to question things once the 'video' is reviewed and a decision is made 'based on the evidence'.
It will be great IF the panel is totally neutral.

As a long time rugby league fan i can remember the days before the video ref when there were shocking referee displays on a regular basis that always seemed to help the same teams. Since the advent of the video ref in super league you don't think at the end of the match you've been stuffed by the ref. It's a no brainer to introduce it, but i really doubt that it will be introduced as it will affect the establishments chosen clubs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.