Viktoria Plzen pre match discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonights game

is there any indication of the line-up for tonight, on talksport they said Vinny might be back

Cheers nobby_31

Re: Tonights game

This is a massive game, think we have to beat these home and away to get through the group.

Can someone tell me whether there were mitigating circumstances around that 5-0 win over Napoli? Napoli are a bloody good team as we know, and although they are weaker than when we faced them any team that beats them 5-0 has to be a worry. Even more so when they are expected to be soundly beaten by most

Without scanning through much of the thread and perhaps being a bit lazy, what do we know about Plzen?
Good players? Good teamwork? Obviously they're the czech champs, but not much else is known.
Any vids?

johnmc said:
Can someone tell me whether there were mitigating circumstances around that 5-0 win over Napoli? Napoli are a bloody good team as we know, and although they are weaker than when we faced them any team that beats them 5-0 has to be a worry. Even more so when they are expected to be soundly beaten by most
Napoli fielded a mixed team in the first leg, but Cavani was there and Hamsik got subbed in at half time. Even without the usual starting eleven they started off really strong but they only kept it up for a few minutes before Plzen took the initiative. Viktoria was the better side in the first half overall and well deserved the 1:0 lead they got. Then after the break with Hamsik on the pitch it was all Napoli, they improved massively and had several really good chances to equalize. But Plzen got lucky a few times, after about an hour the initial pressure waned and that's when they scored their second (possibly offside). I wouldn't call it a freak victory as Plzen were solid enough and deservedly lead at half time but on another day Napoli would have converted one of their chances in the second half. A couple of fortunate moments for Viktoria but their getting a good result was not particularly shocking, although a 3:0 scoreline was unexpected. The second leg was just a formality.

Exeter Blue I am here said:
I would certainly hope that would be the case, but we had an expensively assembled squad when we went to Poznan and lost, Kiev and lost, Sporting and lost, Napoli and lost, Ajax and lost, etc, and that was with a settled side and manager. Viktoria Plzen may be relative small fry compared to some of those teams, but we will still need to bring our 'A' game tonight if we're to get anything at all. Experience suggests we may not

I think, as I often do, that the mentality of our players will be all important tonight.

I don't know Plzen so couldn't say what I think the best team selection would be but I'd be inclined towards a conservative approach, with one striker and as much strength and mobility as we can muster in midfield, without sacrificing the technical ability to pass to a team mate. I'd probably have all of Rodwell, Yaya and Fern in the side.

blueinsa said:
Woke up very positive this morning and we will dick em tonight, no worries.

Im in the ibis plzen with a bit of lunch and a beer. And im buzzin for tonight. Come on city. Don't make me give my season ticket up.

spongebob123 said:
Without scanning through much of the thread and perhaps being a bit lazy, what do we know about Plzen?
Good players? Good teamwork? Obviously they're the czech champs, but not much else is known.
Any vids?
This is what I posted some days ago.

As far as football is concerned, Plzen play a compact 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1 if you are into that sort of thing, usually relying on quick wing play with Pavel Horvath supplying the men in front of him from midfield . And although Viktoria have surprised a big name or two in their two seasons in UEFA competitions, City really ought to aim for three points tonight.

It is true that Plzen can play some neat football, but when facing a clear favorite they prefer to keep it tight and careful, perhaps a bit too much. I could see Viktoria getting respectable results against a top half of the table English team, but not a top 4 outfit. The gap between them and City is just too big.

Their key man is a 38-year-old and seemingly always overweight playmaker Horvath who was not at his best last season but he shed some pounds and is once again the heart of the team. Not particularly mobile, he makes up for it with a great range of passing and set pieces. However, he does not have a great record against the stronger teams Plzen have faced in Europe, he prefers having the ball and dictating the play rather than having to chase it or defend all the time.

The Plzen midfield is where their strength lies but that is not going to be a factor against a clearly superior team. It works against reasonably strong opposition but against someone strong, they won't have the ball enough to play their game. This brings us to their defence, which is not particularly outstanding. Plzen can defend fairly well as a tyeam but individually the central defenders are sometimes prone to mistakes. When defending a lead or a man down the whole team will keep it compact near the box and wait to spring a quick counter, but it is hardly an impenetrable fortress and a team of City's calibre shouldn't have much trouble breaking it down.

Which is what goes not only for Viktoria's defence but the tie as a whole really. I can see them fashioning a couple of chances tonight, they are capable enough. But really even if that might lead to a counter or two City should try to dictate the tempo and they will win fairly easily.

its my birthday today so im hoping for a present from City tonight. A win and i'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.