Villa Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

I think it one of those games we would win nine times out of ten, but I think Joe could have done better with the free kick ( standing to far to his right) although well struck the ball was a fair distance from Joe's left post, and the last goal, charging out to far, the villa guy still had a lot to do, but as I say nine times out of ten we would have won

kippaxblue76 said:
One big issue for me yesterday was when we retook the lead to go 2-1 up we stopped closing them down as quickly, I said this to the lads I was sat with and they all agreed. You could see Villa start to put one or two passes together and it gave them a foothold in the game, were they under instructions to do this or was it 'ok the jobs done they wont come back again'. Another crucial point for me was why have two on two at the back for there third goal, surely an extra defender always ??
Spot on. Exactly the same thing happened when we went 1-0 up against Cardiff.

Kevindxb said:
OB1 said:
Kevindxb said:
I disagree. If we kept the pressure we would've scored a third and killed it. Instead, we we gave them a breather and they made every kick counts. You cant expose your CBs and expect them not to make mistakes. We lost edge in the midfield (first line of defense) by removing Nasri. Aside from an offside goal, the game was going so well for us until the substitutions and tactics change.

I don't think Pellegrini wanted his team to give Villa any sort of breather: IMO, he brought Navas on to try and strike a killer blow. After Nasri left, most of the play remained in the Villa half.

We'll just have to disagree.

He didn't. He's mucked up the tactics which allowed them the breather. changed too much too quick.

I take it all these coaching badges and premier league experience you have, brings you to this conclusion about
tactics and I thought they were minty or orange.

Len Rum said:
kippaxblue76 said:
One big issue for me yesterday was when we retook the lead to go 2-1 up we stopped closing them down as quickly, I said this to the lads I was sat with and they all agreed. You could see Villa start to put one or two passes together and it gave them a foothold in the game, were they under instructions to do this or was it 'ok the jobs done they wont come back again'. Another crucial point for me was why have two on two at the back for there third goal, surely an extra defender always ??

We absolutely weren't under instructions to do that. I dunno if anybody else caught it but once Dzeko scored and everybody huddled around. MP was screaming and yelling to get back to finish the job, I've noticed that so far celebrations have been kept to a minimum but MP looked very frustrated with that one. I think that the players get real arrogant and forget to actually finish the job for a full 90+ minutes.

hgblue said:
Hanger said:
Its exactly what happened last season, dominate play but not finishing teams off. Happened for Mancini and now for Pellegrini , need to start turning dominance into goals.

Could explain why Mancini wanted Cavani. Dominating possession against lesser teams doesn't impress me in the slightest. It's what you do with it that counts.

Dominating possession increases the probability of winning significantly. If this team continues to dominate possession, the wins will stack up, home and away.

Left it until now due to the usual knee-jerk shit. Weirdly, whilst disappointed we've not won the game, I'm remarkably sanguine. I know it's been a bit up and down this season so far in places, but the ups have shown me enough to not be too worried.

Onwards and upwards.

Len Rum said:
kippaxblue76 said:

I doubt that Pellegrini has told them not to keep pressing. I do think that it will take time for the players to make continual pressing second nature.

I didn't watched the game,followed it on BBC but if we can't win away games against Cardiff n villa especially after taking the lead then we should all kiss goodbye to the title,this hot n cold form might get us second place but title will b a long shot if this continues

im happy with yesterday regardless the freak nature in which we lost... play like that away from home and we have no problems.

I think it's very unfair to criticise the manager. It wasn't his fault we lost the game. Nastasic for the free kick (unnecessary) and
him and Kompany for the third were mistakes which cost us the game.

I was a big fan of Mancini, but am now happy with Pellegrini. I think our football is so much better going forward,
we now have the tempo and link up everybody complained was lacking under Mancini. Sure everybody will say
"We wouldn't have let those goals in under Mancini" but I would say "Prove that to me and also prove to me
that we would have scored our goals under Mancini".

We can't prove anything, Mancini has gone. Thanks Roberto for EVRYTHING. Lets give Pellegrini some time and
i'm sure our teething problems will be solved.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.