Villa Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

Our problem is simple; We spend such a small amount of time defending we actually are completely unskilled in the basics of how to do it.

I can't imagine for one moment the defensive unit spend much time at all in training working to full intensity in a large size game. As a result, we rely on the theory that 4 good players, hallmarked as 'defender' makes a good defensive unit!

We know that set pieces offer Shit teams opportunities they could never create in open play yet we continue to give away last third free kicks!

The 3rd goal was pub/park/schoolboy football and completely exposes the problem of the defence not being as one and lack of communication.

I suppose we could argue that we should have killed Villa off long before their first goal and perhaps a more clinical display from the forwards would have saved the day.

As it is, more questions asked and more lessons to learn.

Having said that, this was a freak match. I dun even know how villa manage to score three after being dominated for so long and without their only striker worth mentioning. Truly a wtf result

chesterbells said:
argyle said:
Piss poor defensive display. Also thought Hart could have done better for both goals.

Going forward we aren't direct enough at times.

Can't believe we lost that game.

Milner only has workrate and tackling and sure as hell can't pass, cross or shoot accurately!!

Milner can't pass?? Did you see our goals vs Wigan midweek?

Indeed......Wigan....his level

foxy said:
SWP's back said:
hgblue said:
We've taken 1 point from 3 winnable away games. This isn't a one off, and it isn't a freak result. We don't put teams away when we're dominating games and away from home especially you have to do that. We need to be more ruthless and we need to start doing it quickly.
It was a freak result if you watched the game.

Against Stoke and Cardiff we played badly, we didn't today by any stretch.

An offside goal
A stupid foul
And Kompany & Nasty having a brain fart.

Nothing the manager can do tactics wise to stop those errors is there.

Everyone needs to chill the fuck out.

Agreed, this sums the game up perfectly. Freak result. If we were poor and didn't create anything then fair enough, but we were dominant playing attractive football, Nasri had a great game! Freak results happen in football. Chelsea, Spurs and Utd also dropped points today. Arsenal go to Swansea later which isn't an easy ground! Not all bad news!

It was 'a freak result' against Cardiff.
Now its another 'freak result' against Villa.
Will be another 'freak result' away from home against relegation fodder?

A pattern is beginning to emerge and its a not good one if we have any expectations whatsoever of lifting any silverware this season.

I'm no doubt going to get murdered for this, but I thought we played well. We just can't 'put a game to bed'. Most talented team in the Prem and an absolute must to watch (most of the time). Just seems we lack a little ruthlessness. I'm all for the great football bit every now and again I just wonder why we can't be a bit fcking boring and finish the game and land 3 points when we need too? The rags lost as well today so I'm not as angry as I should be..... Love the way we are going just a little frustrated...... Sometimes........

Im happy for the players tonight at least mr.pellegrini wont shout at them and they can all go out later on tonight feeling all cosy and nice and well treated.

You can't surround world-class with mediocrity, at least rarely... Tevez had to put up with it in the first season of the Mancini-era. He single handedly dragged us into the CL and now we've failed to move forward. Dzeko and Milner the main culprits. People kiss their ass. Why? Good players in their own right, good attitude and both work hard... it's like the fat kid in PE, he's working his ass off, but he's still not on the same level of some other skinny kid who can merely jog and still be better.

Imagine sticking Jordan Henderson in the Barcelona side... it wouldn't happen as he's not on par with those around him, it destroys the side, not just in a physical sense, but also when it comes to player morale. Kolarov was another, though recently he's doing well to adopt to those around him.

Milner will always be chasing shadows though, despite working his ass off, he's out of his depth. As is Dzeko. It was the same under Mancini.

It really isn't all that difficult to see. Aguero, Toure, Silva, Nasri, Navas etc. are on a different level to Milner, Lescott, Dzeko, Garcia.

You can't teach them to do better either, some manage to evolve. Hart, Kompany, Richards, Zabaleta are all good examples of players who fit in perfectly. Milner was always a sad case as we never got the same Milner that Villa had and alot are in denial about that. Look at all the winning Champions League sides. Usually perfection all over the park, no passengers. Barry was the latest victim, great player in his own right, but just couldn't play at the same level as Y.Toure or Silva. It's like playing football on the park with the older kids, the young ones just play passenger and give it to the big kid because they can't match their potential.

I should stress that Dzeko, Barry, Milner, Garcia etc. are all great in their own right and the attitude all approach to the game is to be applauded. But there's a reason why young footballers all play against the same age level. U12s, 13s, 14s, 15s etc. It's exactly the same scenario, U12s can't compete with the 15s.

And it's not fair on any of the players. Milner works his ass off but can't reach the same or contribute the same as Silva. It effects both of their games and not in a positive way. Look at the team we started last week against United, it was all very level playing field:

Hart, Zaba, Kompany, Nastasic, Kolarov, Fernandinho, Toure, Navas, Nasri, Aguero, Negredo.

There is no weak link in that side, nor is there one in Barcelona's or Bayern Munichs. Take a look at their benches, all arguably at the same level as those in the starting 11. We've still got deadwood at the club.

Como Cat said:
mansour's tow ropes said:
Como Cat said:
Get a grip.

so you think its acceptable to not win simple away games?

Bit simplistic? We've just won 3-0 away in the CL in a must win game and absolutely humiliated Utd in the league. He set the team up to win today bearing in mind they are playing Munich on Wednesday. City should have won today with their performance but didn't because of what occured on the pitch. The manager can't dictate every aspect of the game. I'm comfortable with Pellegrini notwithstanding he may have misjudged some aspects of our three away games so far. 'Pellegrini can fuck off'?.... I still think you need to get a grip.

sorry but I disagree, these kind of games are what cost Mancini his job. Underestimating opponents, thinking the job is done, sitting back on a 1-0...? If this continues, yes he can fuck off

hilts said:
chicagoblues said:
Before the kick off I was surprised to see Lescott on the bench.Is he injured ?

He was having a good laugh that is all i saw of him
He deserved to start this match ..no doubt about that...Nasty been playing lot of football lately ..
talk about rotation ..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.