Villa Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

This stat needs investigating, it's jaw-dropping.

Danny Pugsley ‏@danny_pugsley 21m
City's two away defeats have seen them concede six goals from just 10 shots on target.

Are we simply unlucky, are teams simply uber clinical against us, or is our goalkeeper a problem?

Damocles said:
I'm not being a dick here, I just cannot work this out for the life of me.

From what I can see, and correct me if I'm wrong, people are annoyed that we didn't change from the two up top that had already scored for us twice in a game and change this to (some other tactic never mentioned) because we should have been aware of the possibility of losing a one goal lead to a losing position despite us twatting them the whole game.

This is what we should have done, despite goal difference being the deciding factor in the title race several years ago? Stopped playing at a one goal advantage in the same manner that we did against Cardiff where we replaced Navas with Milner?

As I say, I'm not being a cock here I'm just miles away from understanding what you actually wanted to happen based in the moment and not in hindsight

Goal difference could be a factor again but you can't go after goal difference in every game and sometimes you have to accept that making sure you get the 3 points so that at the end of the season we can even consider a goal difference conclusion is the most important factor.

It's not like taking one of the 2 strikers off would have automatically stopped us playing nice football, controlling the game and giving us chances. All I think it would have done in a defensive aspect is sure it up, make sure we get the ball back earlier and so that our centre-backs had more cover.

So my first change would have been Dzeko off and Navas on. This would have left Negredo up front, and he's the harder worker of the two so would have been more effective up front on his own imo. I would have shifted Milner into the middle so the formation looks as follows:

-------------------Negredo---------------

-Nasri-----------------------Navas-----

------------Yaya------Milner----------
--------------Fernandinho---------

I just think that allows us more cover, less open in defence but still allows us to have a front 4 in attack with wing backs coming in as needed.

We now get into the territory of assumption over what would have happened from here on. Do I assume they still score or it stayed 2-1? I don't know, that's your call, but if they'd scored I'd have made a double change. Jovetic on for Nasri(identical role) and Garcia on for Milner(that would have pushed Fernandinho up to exploit his passing and pressing higher up the pitch allowing Garcia purely to concentrate on cleaning up). If we'd stayed 2-1 up I would have made a slightly different change, it would have been Nasri off for Garcia, to create a 5 in midfield with Milner out to the left mainly to cover with Garcia going into cover behind Fern and Yaya. I would have also put Clichy on for Kolarov to sure up the defensive side of the left-back role, as Clichy with his better defensive capabilities would have been useful if it had stayed 2-1.

That's what I would have done, and I've only done that because you asked for my opinion.

LoveCity said:

City's two away defeats have seen them concede six goals from just 10 shots on target.

Are we simply unlucky, are teams simply uber clinical against us, or is our goalkeeper a problem?

i think our goal is bigger than theirs in the 2nd half, think about it, Agenda

LoveCity said:

Well he was responsible for Cardiff's second and partly to blame for Cardiff's third and Villa's second and third today.So he's part of the problem.

LoveCity said:

Wow, that is some stat.

I think we actually played better today than we did against Hull - and yet we won that game 2-0.

Eez football.

Long way to go, panic not setting in just yet but we certainly need to learn to kill off teams

LoveCity said:

Why single out the keeper? those six goals would be the fault of several players, wouldn't blame Hart at all today, collective and individual concentration and being professional in the art of defending would be my guess, players are at their most vulnerable when they have had little to do

They should be aware of this though, they are paid well because they are the best

LoveCity said:

You need to look at the chances, but from what I can recall when teams get shots on goal against us it seems to be clear-cut chances resulting from an error or us being caught out and too open.

There wasn't a goal today that I thought Joe could have done much more to stop and he made 1 error I think in Cardiff but I do think more often than not it's a problem that's occurred in front of him and no matter how good he is it's difficult to stop clear-cut chances.

These things happen Pellegrini will eventually sort it. So long as the team plays well and individual performances are monitered and corrected. No problem. Hes the man for the job for sure.

Can't work that result out. I was happy about the overall performance but this is becoming a regular event. Like so often last season, we play all the football, then get caught against the run of play. There were some good crosses played into the box today from Kolarov and Milner, but nobody seems to be busting a gut to get on the end of them.
That ruddy linesman wrongly gave two offside decisions against us in the first half and then got the goal wrong too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.