Villa Vs City Post Match Thread

hgblue said:
Mister Appointment said:
OB1 said:
We really weren't that sloppy or careless in performing routine tasks because our pass completion as a team was better than any team's average for the season so far ( Arsenal are just ahead of us in those stakes). Plenty of the passes that did not find their man were the more difficult ones, the long balls and attempts to thread a final ball through the massed ranks of the Vile.

There were some mistakes that had me shouting at the TV and some of them featured in the Shearer special but my biggest complaint was our finishing.

Kun needed that goal.

I really hope Vinny, Eli, and Fernando get a run of games together after the international break. With that base we played some of our best football of the season in the last 20 minutes of the match.

When we had the extra man in midfield you mean? ;)

I see what you're saying, but for me it had more to do with Fernando being on the pitch. He's obviously been brought in to play a very particular role which allows the players in front of him to play with a bit more freedom.

Mister Appointment said:
hgblue said:
Mister Appointment said:
Kun needed that goal.

I really hope Vinny, Eli, and Fernando get a run of games together after the international break. With that base we played some of our best football of the season in the last 20 minutes of the match.

I see what you're saying, but for me it had more to do with Fernando being on the pitch. He's obviously been brought in to play a very particular role which allows the players in front of him to play with a bit more freedom.
So in essence, a 3 man midfield..... :-)

Dribble said:
Mister Appointment said:
hgblue said:

It's a more likely option with Fernando fit because it means we have three natural centre midfield players with the right combination of characteristics. Fernando's a different player to both Toure and Fernandinho and having him in the side whether you play with just one other centre mid or two, still changes the dynamic of everything which goes on in front of him.

Dribble said:
Mister Appointment said:
hgblue said:

Yesterday we did have that in the latter stages but, for most of the game, we did not and it was not the lack of an extra midfielder that we did not take any of our numerous chances. We had a problem when 'Dinho had to go off and Nando was not ready to enter the fray. When Nando was ready, he came on and changed the game by freeing up Lamps and Yaya.

Look I would use one striker far more often but I do not get to choose and the guy that does has proven conclusively that most of the time we can handle a central midfield two of Yaya and a DM.

Mister Appointment said:
Dribble said:
Mister Appointment said:

It's a more likely option with Fernando fit because it means we have three natural centre midfield players with the right combination of characteristics. Fernando's a different player to both Toure and Fernandinho and having him in the side whether you play with just one other centre mid or two, still changes the dynamic of everything which goes on in front of him.

I don't want to tempt fate or get carried away too soon but Nando looks like being a fantastic acquisition for us. He is a proper DM.

I do want to see him and his twin line up with Yaya sometime very soon as I am intrigued to see how effective they will be.

OB1 said:
Mister Appointment said:
Dribble said:

I don't want to tempt fate or get carried away too soon but Nando looks like being a fantastic acquisition for us. He is a proper DM.

I do want to see him and his twin line up with Yaya sometime very soon as I am intrigued to see how effective they will be.

I agree, I think a 3 man midfield would struggle without it being those 3 as I don't think Lampard could do 90 minutes, he's cover and I hope if Pelle now has the players to move to a 3 he does so as we were a much better side once we moved to that shape, it brought Yaya into the game and accentuated Silva's contribution.

I look forward to Zuculini coming back next season and hopefully acting as cover to Fernando, once we have a full 25 man squad to play with.

OB1 said:
Mister Appointment said:
Dribble said:

I've been calling for the club to buy a mobile dm for years, and now we have an excellent one. I predict you'll see him alongside Fernandinho with Yaya in a more attacking role sometime soon, because it's an absolute no brainer. Some people see a dm replacing a striker and believe it to be a negative move, but football tactics are much more subtle than that, and people need to weigh the loss of a striker against the greater control and platform that having a stronger midfield will provide. Not to mention the freedom this will afford Yaya to get forward and terrorise defences.

Stu Brennan's verdict.
--------------------------------

The brilliance of Yaya Toure’s match-winning goal is beyond doubt. But take a moment to consider the boldness of it.

In a week when his credentials have been questioned, his City performances dissected, his motivation questioned and his future queried, lesser men than Toure might have quailed.

He could have taken the coward’s way out, and played the simple game he does so well, short, easy passes.

He had David Silva in mercurial form, he had Frank Lampard coming on to threaten more havoc in the over-worked Villa defence and he had James Milner adding his blend of industry and invention to the mix.

He could have left it to one of them to fashion an opening and joined the ranks of Premier League players who stack up impressive stats by never playing a difficult pass.

But Toure is made of sterner stuff and he continued to try to create, which meant taking risks – when they don’t come off, you get groans rather than cheers.

There are players in the Premier League who have impeccable passing stats and even some who have landed big-money moves on the back of it, in an age when performance analysis carries as much weight as a discerning eye for talent.

Toure has consistently been one of the best and most prolific passers in the game – this season, when he is supposedly on a slippery slope towards football oblivion, he has made more than 100 passes more than his nearest rival, Chelsea’s Cesc Fabregas. He still makes those passes with a success rate of more than 90 per cent.

And yet that only tells half of the story. Of course, many of those passes are simple midfield efforts, keeping play moving, making the opposition work and waiting for the right moment to step things up.

But Toure also has a bravery in his game, he is prepared to try things that can ruin your statistics – or can win you a match.

His basic game appeared to have suffered after all the criticism, not to mention the personal grief of losing his brother in the summer. He uncharacteristically misplaced ordinary passes in this game, and the poison pens were poised again.

It is a hideous reflection on human nature that, when considering Yaya’s indifferent form going into this game, people focussed intently on the summer shenanigans over his birthday grumpiness, and yet virtually neglected the fact he had suffered a shattering family bereavement.

The Premier League can be a cruel place, with footballers expected to perform regardless of personal circumstance. Throwing out the old criticism that a player has to perform when he is paid more than £200,000 a week carries some weight, but makes no allowance for human frailty.

The easy way out would have been to hide, but Toure kept trying to make things happen, endeavouring to come up with something that would change the game.

The Villa players were aware of it. That is why, in the 82nd minute, when they saw Toure with the ball at his feet, 25 yards out, they shimmied across to ensure he could not shoot with a right foot that created carnage last season.

It was the right thing to do, but the beauty of Yaya is that he is one of those rare players who can punish defenders who are doing their job correctly.

Few expected him to simply pass the ball into the corner with his left foot, with virtually no back-lift. It was not the kind of goal that gets included in Goal of the Month competitions, but technically it was stunning, and in terms of importance to City it was immeasurable.

Once it went in, the tension was released, and a few minutes later James Milner released Sergio Aguero for the second time – his first effort hit the post – and this time he thumped home the second goal.

We then had the curious contradiction of Manuel Pellegrini and his players declaring it to be City’s best performance of the season, while Alan Shearer on Match of the Day declared the Blues had been poor, focussing on a number of misplaced passes and poor control.

The truth lay between those two extremes. There were times when City looked sloppy and distracted, but they also played some lovely football, hit the post twice, and created a dozen chances.

They were again susceptible to the counter-attack - until Pellegrini brought on Fernando and switched to a five-man midfield - but Joe Hart had just one save to make all afternoon.

Shearer might have been pernickety in his criticism, but there were plenty of positives for City on the day.

Eliaquim Mangala eased back into the team without alarm after his blow-up at Hull a week earlier, Silva was imperious at times, Aguero kept up his goalscoring run and Milner gave further evidence that he deserves a place in this team.

The Blues even found the solution to their alarming vulnerability to counter-attacking teams, when Fernando stepped into the team.

He offers a far more solid presence in midfield than Fernandinho, who limped off with a hamstring problem.

Depending on the extent of Fernandinho’s problem, it could mean Fernando will get a run of games after the international break.

It will also be interesting to see how the two Brazilians pair up when Yaya is away at the African Nations Cup – that could also be a dynamic partnership with Fernandinho freed from the defensive responsibilities that do not come naturally to him.

City were excellent at times at Villa Park, were worthy winners, and clinched it with a world-class moment from a world-class player.

If Shearer thinks that is a bad performance, rather than a huge plus, it is a daunting prospect for the rest of the Premier League

OB1 said:
Dribble said:
Mister Appointment said:

Yesterday we did have that in the latter stages but, for most of the game, we did not and it was not the lack of an extra midfielder that we did not take any of our numerous chances. We had a problem when 'Dinho had to go off and Nando was not ready to enter the fray. When Nando was ready, he came on and changed the game by freeing up Lamps and Yaya.

Look I would use one striker far more often but I do not get to choose and the guy that does has proven conclusively that most of the time we can handle a central midfield two of Yaya and a DM.
I know it wasn't for the lack of a 3rd midfielder why we didn't take our chances earlier in the game, but as soon as we did get that 3rd midfielder, the advantage we had became total control and we scored twice in the 15-20 minutes that we did have 3 midfielders and I don't think its a coincidence. After the match, even Kompany commented that he believed the last 20 minutes against Villa were the best City have played since he's been here (which I disagree with), but both he and Yaya advocated a 3 man midfield with Yaya at the forward point of it and IMO I don't think these are opinions that can be over looked forever.

It's that Plan B to the rescue again and I like many can't figure out why it can't become our Plan A. Even without one of 'The Twins', we still have Milner, Nasri, Jovetic and Silva as additional midfield cover. I suppose its horse's for course's and like you say the boss prefers a 442 formation and we won a double largely playing that formation. BUT as pointed out many times previously, in November last year there was a subtle change in the tactical use of 442 whereby one of our attackers started to drop deep when we were defending which lead to a change in our league fortunes from whuch we never looked back.

I've always been of the opinion that playing a 2 man midfield with one of the two being Yaya was risky and unnecessary especially against the better teams and tbf, I've seen nothing to change my mind. I just don't get why we have to take the Plan A risk and resort to Plan B to bail us out.

We've not passed the ball as well we did yesterday since we played at the Nou Camp, or maybe when we smashed Spurs at WHL.

It was the backlash from our dreadful performance against Roma.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.