Villa Vs City Post Match Thread

There appears to be a view in the papers today, and expressed in the papers this morning, the the result was harsh on Villa, who deserved a point. This is nonsense. Only City deserved to get anything ie the full three points out of this game; the game was played almost exclusively in the Villa half, and more precisely in and around their box. It would have been a travesty had City not won. Yet this was not a good City performance, though it got better after half-time and more so as the second half wore on. Unfortunately, as the game wore on, my lads and I were using words such as "sloppy" and "careless" to describe the way City were accomplishing routine tasks (hopefully, I think we must be wrong because I heard Shearer use the same words when I watched MotD this morning). Our defence rarely came under too much pressure, but at times it did, as the media say, "to the counter". I'm not sure this is true. It seems to me that we are actually vulnerable to what the pundits call "a very open game". This appears to be a series of thrusts - attack/counter/counter. The pattern seems to be they attack, we halt their attack and launch a counter, which takes our midfield upfield but then we lose the ball and they play it forward, Vinni or his partner halt this attack but we tend to be all over the shop, stretched out and ripe for the counter. Villa never managed this because our players are better than theirs and they didn't have the pace, but Roma did, and this seems to be our difficulty in Europe. Ya Ya is not lazy, he isn't lacking motivation and he is a world class player - but he doesn't get back into position in defensive shape anything like quick enough. This is what Fernando was bought for, this is what he did yesterday and Villa never got in our half after he came on. This is what we must do in the CL.

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
There appears to be a view in the papers today, and expressed in the papers this morning, the the result was harsh on Villa, who deserved a point. This is nonsense. Only City deserved to get anything ie the full three points out of this game; the game was played almost exclusively in the Villa half, and more precisely in and around their box. It would have been a travesty had City not won. Yet this was not a good City performance, though it got better after half-time and more so as the second half wore on. Unfortunately, as the game wore on, my lads and I were using words such as "sloppy" and "careless" to describe the way City were accomplishing routine tasks (hopefully, I think we must be wrong because I heard Shearer use the same words when I watched MotD this morning). Our defence rarely came under too much pressure, but at times it did, as the media say, "to the counter". I'm not sure this is true. It seems to me that we are actually vulnerable to what the pundits call "a very open game". This appears to be a series of thrusts - attack/counter/counter. The pattern seems to be they attack, we halt their attack and launch a counter, which takes our midfield upfield but then we lose the ball and they play it forward, Vinni or his partner halt this attack but we tend to be all over the shop, stretched out and ripe for the counter. Villa never managed this because our players are better than theirs and they didn't have the pace, but Roma did, and this seems to be our difficulty in Europe. Ya Ya is not lazy, he isn't lacking motivation and he is a world class player - but he doesn't get back into position in defensive shape anything like quick enough. This is what Fernando was bought for, this is what he did yesterday and Villa never got in our half after he came on. This is what we must do in the CL.
Good common sense post mate, but did you sing any songs about Kean wanking his dog off?

I love it when you hear shit like, "Kompany had to bail them out there" or "Aguero rescued them the points" etc etc.

They are players paid to do a job just like every other player at every other club yet it's always reported as a negative when it's us.

Helmet Cole said:
Can anyone who was there yesterday remember if there were any songs about Kean wanking his dog off? If not, shame on you all.
there were some songs about Keane but i really couldn't give a fuck about listening to anything about the rag ****

crmcfc said:
summerseat blue said:
Bluep*ss said:
I think this posters username has been shortened from Cretin mcfc.
fucking knows fuck all about football is more to the point

This from someone who thinks yaya is a twat and Mangala is Boyata mark 2. What a bellend!!!!!
You don't get irony do you mate.

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Tbilisi said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Other than the goal he didnt do much in my opinion.

Correct SHB, he had a poor game.Not his fault played in the wrong position away from home as Carragher pointed out.
I dont mind any player having a bad game but the lack of effort is what gets me..
TBF SHB, Yaya is 32 next birthday, 6ft 4", 14+ stone and plays near enough every game for us and all the internationals for the Ivorians which must have amounted to 50+ matches last season where he was rarely a substitute or substituted. Hauling his huge carcass up and down a pitch during a frantic Premier League match is not what such a frame is built for so most of us can be forgiven for seeing this as him being lazy. He is a rare, but ageing resource and should be treated as such because a James Milner he is not, has never been and never will be. I'm not saying he's never had frustratingly lazy days, but I think when taken into the context of what he's being asked to do, consideration of who and what he is needs to be afforded to him IMHO.

After last weeks matches against Hull and Roma including the Villa match, all the TV pundits agree with many on BM and fans in general that Yaya isn't best suited to a 2 man midfield. Last night both Shearer and Carragher said that playing Yaya as one of a two puts extra defensive strain on his midfield partner and Shearer showed how time and again we were left exposed when the opposition counter-attacked and Yaya was seen to be jogging back into his defensive position. They both went on to mention that whilst we mainly get away with it in the Prem, we always seem to get found out in Europe against skilful tactically astute opponents.

It was quite telling that when Yaya was interviewed he was asked if he preferred playing further forward and he replied yes he did, but went on to say that ultimately he'll just carry out the boss's wishes whatever they may be. I still think we should have got rid during the summer after 'Cake Gate' and gone for Fabregas or Pogba, but he's still here and remains one of us. At this stage of his career he needs our protection and I don't think we're doing him or ourselves any favours by flogging him to death in a two man midfield at his age when as part of a 3 he's shown how devastating he can be and yesterday's match perfectly illustrated this.

It seems like our plan B works better than our plan A as a previous poster has stated. Funny that's not changed since Mancini won us the title. If we use the 5 across the middle with Yaya pushing on more in Europe, there's only two or three sides who'd be able to compete with us.

BTW I don't mind the media saying we played badly yesterday, it puts all the attention and pressure on the favourites Chelsea!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.