Vincent Kompany - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that depends on how people perceive Kompany's position in the squad.

Compared to the other 3, he's poor on the ball - the passing is a lot slower, he takes a too many touches and that slows our build up play down a lot. He's still a long way from match sharpness and I thought some of his defending was quite reactionary, like he was a bit slow to see danger and then had to make covering challenges rather than cut things out earlier.

As a 4th choice CB I think he was brilliant. As a 1st choice CB and captain, he's got quite a way to go before he's anywhere near his best and he's got to catch up almost 2 seasons worth of practice playing out of the back, being important in the build up and spreading the ball quickly.

Personally I'm just happy to see him on the pitch whenever he makes it on these days. He's been such a big part of the club for so long that I'm glad he played in the CL for the first time and if we go on to win it he can say he was part of that, because he deserves to be.
I think that is a fair assessment

Still think our best 11 is now without him in the side. He isn't as composed on the ball and has lost a bit of pace. At times he can still be a bit rash or play the wrong pass out from the back. Having said that more gametime will no doubt help. We are in a great position to have Stones and Laporte ready and waiting though. Two great young defenders who will benefit from watching Kompany and Otamendi amd in Stones' case he needed time off the pitch as he was making an error in every game following his injury.

Lots more football to be played and chances for both to get back in.

Still think our best 11 is now without him in the side. He isn't as composed on the ball and has lost a bit of pace. At times he can still be a bit rash or play the wrong pass out from the back. Having said that more gametime will no doubt help. We are in a great position to have Stones and Laporte ready and waiting though. Two great young defenders who will benefit from watching Kompany and Otamendi amd in Stones' case he needed time off the pitch as he was making an error in every game following his injury.

Lots more football to be played and chances for both to get back in.
The thing is, it’s a bit catch 22. The evidence so far says he is still a good defender - there were a couple of really good challenges in the second half vs basle. But his playing the Pep system is not surprisingly at least a year behind everyone else. His speed of thought, positional sense and distribution are nowhere near the others. The thing is, to fix that, can we afford to give him the game time he needs to fix that. A period where we are looking to achieve an unprecedented haul of trophies is not a time to be learning on the job.

Kompany is poor on the ball? Some of you are talking absolute nonsense.

He’s 4th, maybe 5th, haven’t seen enough of tosin, on the ball and it’s not close. I wouldn’t label him poor though.

Like Dom said we’re just happy hes back...and as 4th choice he’s world class.

Whilst I agree with what's been mostly said about Kompany on this page in terms of passing ability, I'd like to posit the idea that if Kompany had a full season injury free to develop his game under Guardiola he may be a significantly better passer. If he worked as hard as Otamendi has done (why wouldn't he?) I can imagine him making similar improvements and at least closing the gap in ability considerably.

It's all a bit redundant I'm aware, as he's:

a) Never injury free
b) Currently quite some way behind, which is what most of the debate refers too in fairness.

Still, a few games fit and his defending will be back to normal, we've seen with a few players recently what a good run of games can do.

Kompany is a much better passer than he had showed in his last two starts.

Thought his form in the final games of last season was very very good. He was scoring, passing well, carrying the ball into midfield. He is yet to show this form again but I think it’s because he’s rusty and maybe worried about getting injured again.

Thought vs Basel he was good defensively. Maybe some important challenges but was not good in possession. Took too many touches, took too long to pass, not ambitions with the ball. He can do much better. Hopefully we’ll see him hit form again soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.