Vincent Kompany

FantasyIreland said:
Kompany is 29......that's fuck all for a centre half.
Yes he's had injuries this season,and still he hasn't been anywhere near as poor as some would ludicrously claim.......regardless,he'll be back to his best next season given the fact he's had opportunity to recover and play a pre-season with his chosen partner.

As for Stones,excellent prospect.....but then so is Denayer.

Lets hope the club concentrate on our real weakness,left back.

Unfortunately 29 isn't fuck all for any player who has had 4 Hamstring tears and 2 Abductor tears in his career, those injuries can take years off your prime.

aguero93:20 said:
FantasyIreland said:
Yes he's had injuries this season,and still he hasn't been anywhere near as poor as some would ludicrously claim.......regardless,he'll be back to his best next season given the fact he's had opportunity to recover and play a pre-season with his chosen partner.

Unfortunately 29 isn't fuck all for any player who has had 4 Hamstring tears and 2 Abductor tears in his career, those injuries can take years off your prime.

So when you've watched him this year, you believe it's the injuries that have taken there toll?

His decision making has made him look like Steve redmond,.... You're right re:the injuries, however, vinnys talent has been about his reading of the game for going on 4/5 years now, that has evaporated this year and it isnt anything to do with injuries!!!

Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
FantasyIreland said:

So when you've watched him this year, you believe it's the injuries that have taken there toll?

His decision making has made him look like Steve redmond,.... You're right re:the injuries, however, vinnys talent has been about his reading of the game for going on 4/5 years now, that has evaporated this year and it isnt anything to do with injuries!!!

I think he's lost a bit of mobility and acceleration and he hasn't adjusted his game to it yet, his reading of the game is fine, he just gives himself 4 seconds to get somewhere when he needs 5 and gets stranded as a consequence. If he adjusts his game he's still physically a monster of a player and he's got years left at the top.

I think he's lost a bit of mobility and acceleration and he hasn't adjusted his game to it yet, his reading of the game is fine, he just gives himself 4 seconds to get somewhere when he needs 5 and gets stranded as a consequence. If he adjusts his game he's still physically a monster of a player and he's got years left at the top.

His reading of the game this year has been abysmal, you marshal your back line in tandem, he's been erratic in a good proportion of the games this season....

And to adjust what?? His game has never relied on pace, it's purely been his judgement and dominance over opposition... If anything he has probably put too much size back on, however, again this shouldn't hold back his ability to do the foundations....

He's been City's greatest signing for value but he certainly shouldn't be immune from criticism, he'd tell you that himself......

He'll also come back stronger than ever, the top players always do!!!

His reading of the game this year has been abysmal, you marshal your back line in tandem, he's been erratic in a good proportion of the games this season....

And to adjust what?? His game has never relied on pace, it's purely been his judgement and dominance over opposition... If anything he has probably put too much size back on, however, again this shouldn't hold back his ability to do the foundations....

He's been City's greatest signing for value but he certainly shouldn't be immune from criticism, he'd tell you that himself......

I'd disagree, he has always used his physical advantage over strikers in speed and strength to dominate them and he's been able to play on the front foot for so much of his career because he's had the physical attributes to recover when he's gotten it wrong, that's getting a lot harder for him to do now. Leg injuries don't just cost you in speed, they also affect your balance and mobility which in turn affects your strength and by strength I mean power, not circumference of chest or arms (take note Micah).

I'm not saying by any means I'm writing Vinny off, far from it and I hope he comes back as good as new after a good pre season, but imo he needs to adjust his game to prolong his career at the very top, not just for performance reasons, but to spare himself further injuries as well.

I'd disagree, he has always used his physical advantage over strikers in speed and strength to dominate them and he's been able to play on the front foot for so much of his career because he's had the physical attributes to recover when he's gotten it wrong, that's getting a lot harder for him to do now. Leg injuries don't just cost you in speed, they also affect your balance and mobility which in turn affects your strength and by strength I mean power, not circumference of chest or arms (take note Micah).

I'm not saying by any means I'm writing Vinny off, far from it and I hope he comes back as good as new after a good pre season, but imo he needs to adjust his game to prolong his career at the very top, not just for performance reasons, but to spare himself further injuries as well.

I agree with certain aspects of what you'd say, although his exposure started in pellegrini's first season with the high line, it was actually Demi who stabilised him.

Under Mancini he was a more polished, accomplished centre half in the mould of great Italian defenders, why? His reading of the game and how deep he played, something he isn't afforded under MP!!

Pablo1 said:
mosssideblue said:
We all want the old Vinnie back dominating games as he did. We do though have to accept that he hasn't been able to replicate that form this season and many have said that was due to playing through injuries and a busy off season last year.

Everyone who is claiming he will be abck to his best next season must realise that that is only wishful thinking. Only time will tell
No, it's nothing to do with wishful thinking. It's based on watching the player for several seasons and seeing somebody who has every attribute needed to be the best CB around. Not only that, he's proved it time and time again, helping us to lift silverware that less than 10 years ago was a pipe dream. The same attributes that people are clamouring to tell us Mangala has in spades and how it'll see him develop into a cross between Maldini and Bobby Moore. The reality is he's had a shakier season than Kompany.

Wishful thinking is hoping that Nasri stops being a soft arse and performs to the levels he's capable of week in week out, or that Dzeko shows the desire to be involved in the same way he was for a fortnight after we bought Bony or Navas hitting a cross that doesn't go out for a corner. It's not believing that a player who's done so much for us can recover his form after an injury hit 18 months.

Have to disagree. No matter how good you were, there are no guarantees you will get back to those levels following a dip. Ask Moanio about Torres.

mosssideblue said:
Pablo1 said:
mosssideblue said:
We all want the old Vinnie back dominating games as he did. We do though have to accept that he hasn't been able to replicate that form this season and many have said that was due to playing through injuries and a busy off season last year.

Everyone who is claiming he will be abck to his best next season must realise that that is only wishful thinking. Only time will tell
No, it's nothing to do with wishful thinking. It's based on watching the player for several seasons and seeing somebody who has every attribute needed to be the best CB around. Not only that, he's proved it time and time again, helping us to lift silverware that less than 10 years ago was a pipe dream. The same attributes that people are clamouring to tell us Mangala has in spades and how it'll see him develop into a cross between Maldini and Bobby Moore. The reality is he's had a shakier season than Kompany.

Wishful thinking is hoping that Nasri stops being a soft arse and performs to the levels he's capable of week in week out, or that Dzeko shows the desire to be involved in the same way he was for a fortnight after we bought Bony or Navas hitting a cross that doesn't go out for a corner. It's not believing that a player who's done so much for us can recover his form after an injury hit 18 months.

Have to disagree. No matter how good you were, there are no guarantees you will get back to those levels following a dip. Ask Moanio about Torres.
Your thoughts on Kompany are well documented so I'd expect nothing less! :-)
I think he can get back to his best you don't, hopefully he'll get a chance to prove one of us right with an injury free season.

Pablo1 said:
mosssideblue said:
Pablo1 said:

Your thoughts on Kompany are well documented so I'd expect nothing less! :-)
I think he can get back to his best you don't, hopefully he'll get a chance to prove one of us right with an injury free season.

You have gone off on a tangent. Where ever have I said I don't think he will ever recover form. My thoughts are well documented, please share with the forum as I have never been derogatory.

Probably is that Kompany has never been the best reader of the game, and he has often relied on his physical attributes to get him out of trouble.

With his mounting injuries he hasn't been able to call upon that this year and when he has got caught out, and in his defence he hasn't had much of a midfield to protect him, he hasn't been able to recover.

Someone once called him the 'master of the last ditch' tackle and while it looks good and gets the crowd on their feet, I'd much rather he didn't get himself in that position in the first place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.