Vincent Kompany

NQCitizen said:
Vincents Tackle said:
NQCitizen said:
Form is temporary - that's the problem.

What happens when your 'temporary' form outlasts your 'permanent' class.

Make no mistake Kompany has only ever had one excellent season.

Really? Well the facts are that we had the best defensive record in the Premier League for 3 consecutive seasons - 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13 and the second best defensive record in the 13/14 season all with Kompany as our captain and best defender.

During those seasons we have won 2 cup finals and finished runners up in another, won the league twice and finished runners up, and third on GD in the others.

VK was also voted in the PFA team of the season in each of the 2010/11, 2011/12 and 2013/14 seasons.

He was also the Supporters Player of the Year and the Players Player of the Year for the 2010/11 season and he won the Premier League Player of the Season award for the 2011/12 season.

So maybe you can elaborate on this one excellent season he has had?

In the meantime, I'll stand by my comment that form is temporary and class is permanent.
So we had the best defensive record in the league when we had the best defensive manager in the league, possibly the best right back in the league, possibly the best left back in the league (they're an unremarkable bunch) and possibly the best goalkeeper in the league?

Kompany was fantastic in 11/12 no denying it. Very good in 10/11 too if not quite at that amazing level. 12/13 we know all too well about. 13/14 our two biggest jeopardising acts of the run in were Kompany's slice against Liverpool and the sending off against Hull were Demichelis cemented himself as our best central defender and his only real challenge has come from Mangala's recent form.

Kompany has been dreadful for at least this season undeniably and I think you'd struggle to find a period where Aguero, Yaya, Silva, Zaba even Fernandinho, Hart and Demichelis were off form for so long.

What if what you're taking as 'class' was just 'form'?

Plus he's 29, we'll be looking ahead next summer if not this. Even if he could regain his form his game isn't clever, technical or neat enough to play at the top as long as some defenders.

NQCitizen said:
So we had the best defensive record in the league when we had the best defensive manager in the league

Who chose to build his defence around Vincent Kompany and make him the captain.

NQCitizen said:
possibly the best right back in the league,possibly the best left back in the league

If by right back you mean Zaba then he wasn't even first choice right back in 2010/11 and most of 2011/12. Left back, well Clichy wasn't here in 2010/11 and he and Kolorov have rotated for most of their time here.

NQCitizen said:
13/14 our two biggest jeopardising acts of the run in

Hold on we're talking seasons here, they're played over 38 games not 2. I could just as easily point out his performance in the home game against the rags where he was immense if we're going to handpick games to suit an argument.

NQCitizen said:
Plus he's 29,we'll be looking ahead next summer if not this

You seriously think the club are looking to sell him this summer? I can't see it at all but out of interest who do you see as a realistic replacement?

NQCitizen said:
Even if he could regain his form his game isn't clever, technical or neat enough to play at the top as long as some defenders

I'd imagine his injury problems would stop him playing at the top as long as some defenders, it's certainly not his technical ability that's letting him down. Even after his 'dreadful' season he would still walk into any other team in the Premier League and most of Europe.

Vincents Tackle said:
NQCitizen said:
Vincents Tackle said:
Really? Well the facts are that we had the best defensive record in the Premier League for 3 consecutive seasons - 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13 and the second best defensive record in the 13/14 season all with Kompany as our captain and best defender.

During those seasons we have won 2 cup finals and finished runners up in another, won the league twice and finished runners up, and third on GD in the others.

VK was also voted in the PFA team of the season in each of the 2010/11, 2011/12 and 2013/14 seasons.

He was also the Supporters Player of the Year and the Players Player of the Year for the 2010/11 season and he won the Premier League Player of the Season award for the 2011/12 season.

So maybe you can elaborate on this one excellent season he has had?

In the meantime, I'll stand by my comment that form is temporary and class is permanent.
So we had the best defensive record in the league when we had the best defensive manager in the league, possibly the best right back in the league, possibly the best left back in the league (they're an unremarkable bunch) and possibly the best goalkeeper in the league?

Kompany was fantastic in 11/12 no denying it. Very good in 10/11 too if not quite at that amazing level. 12/13 we know all too well about. 13/14 our two biggest jeopardising acts of the run in were Kompany's slice against Liverpool and the sending off against Hull were Demichelis cemented himself as our best central defender and his only real challenge has come from Mangala's recent form.

Kompany has been dreadful for at least this season undeniably and I think you'd struggle to find a period where Aguero, Yaya, Silva, Zaba even Fernandinho, Hart and Demichelis were off form for so long.

Plus he's 29, we'll be looking ahead next summer if not this. Even if he could regain his form his game isn't clever, technical or neat enough to play at the top as long as some defenders.

NQCitizen said:
So we had the best defensive record in the league when we had the best defensive manager in the league

NQCitizen said:
possibly the best right back in the league,possibly the best left back in the league

If by right back you mean Zaba then he wasn't even first choice right back in 2010/11 and most of 2011/12. Left back, well Clichy wasn't here in 2010/11 and he and Kolorov have rotated for most of their time here.

NQCitizen said:

Hold on we're talking seasons here, they're played over 38 games not 2. I could just as easily point out his performance in the home game against the rags where he was immense if we're going to handpick games to suit an argument.

NQCitizen said:

You seriously think the club are looking to sell him this summer? I can't see it at all but out of interest who do you see as a realistic replacement?

NQCitizen said:
Even if he could regain his form his game isn't clever, technical or neat enough to play at the top as long as some defenders

I'd imagine his injury problems would stop him playing at the top as long as some defenders, it's certainly not his technical ability that's letting him down. Even after his 'dreadful' season he would still walk into any other team in the Premier League and most of Europe.
They're actually some good points well argued, and the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of our two positions.

When I say looking at replacing him I don't necessarily think he'll leave, but we must be considering who'll be partnering Mangala for the years to come.

Personally I'd be happy for it to be Stones.

Vinny will be fine next season. He's too good not to be. World class players, and he is that, only become ordinary players if they lose their attributes through injury or age. He plays the game 'on the edge', rushing forward for 50-50s, turning players when on the ball and playing clever passes. When something's not right, like his confidence or fitness, it's magnified because he tries not to change his game but the gambles suddenly don't always come off, and this costs us dearly because he's so important to our bold, attacking- and open- style.

He will be the best centre half in the premier league again last season, and Mangela will be the perfect partner.

NQCitizen said:
Vincents Tackle said:
NQCitizen said:

NQCitizen said:

NQCitizen said:

NQCitizen said:

NQCitizen said:

NQCitizen said:

They're actually some good points well argued, and the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of our two positions.

When I say looking at replacing him I don't necessarily think he'll leave, but we must be considering who'll be partnering Mangala for the years to come.

Personally I'd be happy for it to be Stones.

I firmly believe that despite what the media keep telling us our core group of players have still got a good few years at the top. I agree that It's time to look at bringing in the future generation but lets phase them in alongside the likes of Kompany, Hart, Silva, Aguero, Zaba rather then as direct replacements.

I agree that Stones would be a quality signing but I wouldn't have him lining up with Mangala any time soon purely because I think CB is a position where you need at least one experienced player. Stones and Mangala in 3-5 years though could be great once Vinny hangs up his boots though.

Kompany is 29......that's fuck all for a centre half.
Yes he's had injuries this season,and still he hasn't been anywhere near as poor as some would ludicrously claim.......regardless,he'll be back to his best next season given the fact he's had opportunity to recover and play a pre-season with his chosen partner.

As for Stones,excellent prospect.....but then so is Denayer.

Lets hope the club concentrate on our real weakness,left back.

We all want the old Vinnie back dominating games as he did. We do though have to accept that he hasn't been able to replicate that form this season and many have said that was due to playing through injuries and a busy off season last year.

Everyone who is claiming he will be abck to his best next season must realise that that is only wishful thinking. Only time will tell

Kompany won't be sold and he shouldn't be. None of our players love the club more than him and we need players like that.

mosssideblue said:
We all want the old Vinnie back dominating games as he did. We do though have to accept that he hasn't been able to replicate that form this season and many have said that was due to playing through injuries and a busy off season last year.

Everyone who is claiming he will be abck to his best next season must realise that that is only wishful thinking. Only time will tell
No, it's nothing to do with wishful thinking. It's based on watching the player for several seasons and seeing somebody who has every attribute needed to be the best CB around. Not only that, he's proved it time and time again, helping us to lift silverware that less than 10 years ago was a pipe dream. The same attributes that people are clamouring to tell us Mangala has in spades and how it'll see him develop into a cross between Maldini and Bobby Moore. The reality is he's had a shakier season than Kompany.

Wishful thinking is hoping that Nasri stops being a soft arse and performs to the levels he's capable of week in week out, or that Dzeko shows the desire to be involved in the same way he was for a fortnight after we bought Bony or Navas hitting a cross that doesn't go out for a corner. It's not believing that a player who's done so much for us can recover his form after an injury hit 18 months.

mosssideblue said:

Everyone who is claiming he won't get back to his best next season must realise that that is wishful thinking as well. It's always about hindsight.

Fact is Kompany has been great for us except for this season. It can happen. It happened to a lot of great players. The expectations of these kind of players are immense and rightly so because they are good players and tend to give that little bit extra.
Kompany is seen as a true leader by the rest of the squad. I'm pretty sure the team is hurting for Kompany not been able to show his class. But maybe it's a good thing for him to be living in the shadow right now and come back even stronger. Because with Kompany you will know that will be his aim and that can only bode well for us.

eversince 76 said:
Everyone who is claiming he won't get back to his best next season must realise that that is wishful thinking as well. It's always about hindsight. Fact is Kompany has been great for us except for this season.

Actually Kompany hasn't been great for us since 11/12. He has been good for us in the seasons in between and average in the last two. Demichelis was great for us last season.

Didsbury Dave said:
Vinny will be fine next season. He's too good not to be. World class players, and he is that, only become ordinary players if they lose their attributes through injury or age. He plays the game 'on the edge', rushing forward for 50-50s, turning players when on the ball and playing clever passes. When something's not right, like his confidence or fitness, it's magnified because he tries not to change his game but the gambles suddenly don't always come off, and this costs us dearly because he's so important to our bold, attacking- and open- style.

He will be the best centre half in the premier league again last season, and Mangela will be the perfect partner.

Great player, can't get over his mentality as a captain though.

Last year I mentioned a trend that City only ever seem to play well to put together a run of form when the pressure is off in the title race. Our best run of form this season came from when the title was gone with Chelsea, we went 15 games unbeaten last year when it looked like the title had gone and we sat 3rd/4th, our best run of form the season before was after United had won the title and the season before after United looked to have won the title.

It's a pattern that we shouldn't ignore. I don't see Kompany as the right leader for City because I think he gets too gee'ed up which causes him and others around him to make mistakes. My preference is towards cool heads under pressure rather than Ramboing types; I get the feeling that you prefer a bit of energy and aggression when behind so imagine your view on him is different.
Looking at the pattern and seeing the type of leader that Kompany is then I wonder if some of our players are getting too nervous and "trying too hard" to make things happen rather than just playing the game and letting things happen naturally. If I had to sum up the mental state of our team across those seasons then "frustration" would be a word high on the list.

He's a good representative for the club in general but have said a few times whilst you've been away that a Xavi type who just knows to keep passing and keep on moving is a better fit for this squad than a Keane type who leads by example. The system works and the players are excellent players, when we go a goal down the nervousness and frustration spreads from the crowd into the players - I'd rather we had a reliable and calm general in that situation who has belief in the football that they are playing rather than a man with urgency who wants to make change happen now, now, now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.