Vinnie plays on despite stroke risk

SWP's back said:
Scottyboi said:
Fair play to Vinny nice to see some people care about their national team. Ignore our selfish fans he is a man and can handle abit of pain.
If Vinny did this for us in a big game the reaction would be abit different.
It's not a case of "handling a bit of pain" though is it.

Back when I was 22 and used to play, I fractured my skull on a goal post (I'm a keeper), but as it was a cup semi-final and I was concussed, I said I'd play on (I have no idea I had fractured my skull you see) and the "physio/kitman/manager/tea boy" as I thought I was ok and only a few minutes had gone in the game etc. Anyway, half way through the second half I threw up and then couldn't walk. I ended up with "post concussion syndrome", had a haemorrhage 3 weeks later and was off work for 6 months.

It is not a case of who is 'double hard' and can play through pain, it is a question of looking after an athlete as no game of football is worth losing your career or life for and the decision should have been taken out of his hands.

But he did not have a skull fracture,w e have no evidence of concussion at the time and the doctor may have been perfectly conscientious we simply do not know.

Cityfan said:
SWP's back said:
Scottyboi said:
Fair play to Vinny nice to see some people care about their national team. Ignore our selfish fans he is a man and can handle abit of pain.

Back when I was 22 and used to play, I fractured my skull on a goal post (I'm a keeper), but as it was a cup semi-final and I was concussed, I said I'd play on (I have no idea I had fractured my skull you see) and the "physio/kitman/manager/tea boy" as I thought I was ok and only a few minutes had gone in the game etc. Anyway, half way through the second half I threw up and then couldn't walk. I ended up with "post concussion syndrome", had a haemorrhage 3 weeks later and was off work for 6 months.

It is not a case of who is 'double hard' and can play through pain, it is a question of looking after an athlete as no game of football is worth losing your career or life for and the decision should have been taken out of his hands.

But he did not have a skull fracture,w e have no evidence of concussion at the time and the doctor may have been perfectly conscientious we simply do not know.
If there is any risk then the medical staff are meant to err on the side of caution. The fact he did fracture his eye socket and have concussion suggests they weren't over cautious by any means.

SWP's back said:
Scottyboi said:

And that is the obvious difference you was asked if you were ok by someone who had no medical training whatsoever and like you say you said "I'm fine" which obviously it turned out you wasn't, so your man took your word for it

Vinny on the other hand was assessed by an expert who knew exactly what signs he was looking for, will then have monitored him over the next few minutes, told Vinny what signs to look for, if he felt sick, dizzy etc and will have assessed him again at half time

I got concussion playing once and there was no way I could carry on my vision had gone and was unsteady on my feet, so no way I could carry on and it was obvious to anyone

SWP's back said:
Cityfan said:
SWP's back said:

If there is any risk then the medical staff are meant to err on the side of caution. The fact he did fracture his eye socket and have concussion suggests they weren't over cautious by any means.
They are not meant to be over cautious they have a duty of care which means they have to respect their clients wishes as well.

TBH Someone who has just been smashed in the face and suffered concussion is the best at making pressured decisions. The manager should have taken him off, whatever Vincent thought.

I've carried on playing rugby after a concussion, I imagine most players have, it's stupid but there's not a medical professional to tell you not to, the doctor should have told him no. There's been a bit of stuff about this in the US about American Footballer's, it's dangerous.

without a dream said:
I've carried on playing rugby after a concussion, I imagine most players have, it's stupid but there's not a medical professional to tell you not to, the doctor should have told him no. There's been a bit of stuff about this in the US about American Footballer's, it's dangerous.

Yeah I remember seeing this:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/average-lifespan-football-player-52" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/average ... -player-52</a>

I apologise to Bumbleblue, Eccles Blue and Blue Smarties for my ‘buffoons’ comment; you did indeed use the ‘if true...’ disclaimer. I should probably apologise to everyone else who had posted in the first couple of pages, too. It does tend to bother me when people make knee-jerk reactions without even reading the details, but it’s wrong to pull people up about it; I should just leave it be.

However, I’m afraid there’s something in me that won’t allow me to leave it be, when simpletons insult and patronise me, a la SWP’s Back:

SWP's back said:
Stuuuuuu said:
It's truly hilarious that my last post was met with a response demonstrating staggering illiteracy. Pray tell what evidence there was at the time of the incident, that Kompany had suffered a "traumatic brain injury"?

Traumic Brain Injury: definition

-Penetrating head injuries occur when an object, like shrapnel, enters the brain and causes damage in a specific area.

-Closed head injuries occur when there's a blow to the head, which can happen during a fall, car accident, sporting event, or any number of different ways.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zzBM-_CZHA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zzBM-_CZHA</a>

You cannot have concussion without first receiving TBI. The doctor should have known at the time of the incident that TBI was a realistic possibility given the force of the blow Kompany received. Which turned out to be the case.

Now jog on you idiot as I am shocked you can even spell "illiteracy" given your complete lack of comprehension of a very simple point.

We know that concussion was diagnosed after (do you want me to define ‘after’ for you?) the event. You state that, “The doctor should have known at the time of the incident that TBI was a realistic possibility...” How can you be so sure of this? The doctor didn’t even diagnose concussion at the time of the event. Whether or not he should have is immaterial; the fact remains that he didn’t.

SWP's back said:
Stuuuuuu said:
Even still, being a literate being, I read even those three in the context of the full posts - which clearly made judgements outside of the conditional.
You may consider yourself literate, but that sentence is a cluster fuck of terrible English.

It’s frankly hilarious that you have desperately searched through my posts to try and find a sentence to criticise, in order to somehow temporarily overcome your evident self-esteem problems. I’m quite happy to argue about grammar if you like (it comes into my profession in a big way). The sentence you picked up on happens to make perfect sense, and even reads well to any fairly literate person. Any criticism of it can only be subjective. If you find it to be a “cluster fuck,” then that says more about your limited comprehension than it does about my writing skills.

Would you like me to point out some examples of your poor writing in this thread?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.