Vinnie plays on despite stroke risk

I'm just worried about Vinnie. Was worried about the possibly lingering calf issue, am now worried about this on top of it. The guy is a warrior and a legend, but god we need him as our rock in the center of defense next season, and though I'd expect nothing less of VK than to push to play through this, perhaps the decision should've been out of his hands.

Mixed feelings...

Proud of him for being a lion but terrified that he was kept on the pitch and will be in the hands of the staff that made that decision every time there is an international break.

The more we learn about head injuries as a society the more it becomes clear that the macho thing to do is almost never the medically sound thing to do.

Eccles Blue said:
So Stuuu, the fact that so many of the posters prefaced their posts with 'IF THIS IS TRUE' makes us all 'illiterate knee-jerk buffoons' does it? I don't think so mate, we were reacting, quite naturally, to a report from a fellow blue that our Captain MIGHT have run the risk of a stroke we were not reacting in a knee jerk fashion because then we would not have put IF THIS IS TRUE or words to that effect.

Illiterate:
a. Unable to read and write.
b. Having little or no formal education.
a. Marked by inferiority to an expected standard of familiarity with language and literature.
b. Violating prescribed standards of speech or writing.

Just for your information for next time. :-)

Can you use your fantastic literacy skills to find a reliable source, indicating that Kompany was at risk of stroke?

And yes, I counted an entire three posts which said, "if true...". Even still, being a literate being, I read even those three in the context of the full posts - which clearly made judgements outside of the conditional.

I refer you to your own point 2a.

Stuuuuuu said:
Eccles Blue said:
So Stuuu, the fact that so many of the posters prefaced their posts with 'IF THIS IS TRUE' makes us all 'illiterate knee-jerk buffoons' does it? I don't think so mate, we were reacting, quite naturally, to a report from a fellow blue that our Captain MIGHT have run the risk of a stroke we were not reacting in a knee jerk fashion because then we would not have put IF THIS IS TRUE or words to that effect.

Illiterate:
a. Marked by inferiority to an expected standard of familiarity with language and literature.

Can you use your fantastic literacy skills to find a reliable source, indicating that Kompany was at risk of stroke?

And yes, I counted an entire three posts which said, "if true...". Even still, being a literate being, I read even those three in the context of the full posts - which clearly made judgements outside of the conditional.

People experiencing traumatic brain injuries were at substantially increased risk of ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes up to five years later, according to a retrospective study in Taiwan.

Analysis of hospital records for more than 23,000 individuals diagnosed with traumatic brain injury (TBI) pointed to a 10-fold increase in the risk of stroke within three months (hazard ratio 10.21, 95% CI 8.71 to 11.96) after adjusting for other risk factors, relative to age- and sex-matched controls, reported Herng-Ching Lin, PhD, of Taipei Medical University, and colleagues.

The one- and five-year hazard ratios for stroke after a TBI diagnosis were 4.61 (95% CI 4.16 to 5.11) and 2.32 (95% CI 2.17 to 2.47), respectively, Lin and colleagues wrote online in Stroke: Journal of the American Heart Association.

It's truly hilarious that my last post was met with a response demonstrating staggering illiteracy. Pray tell what evidence there was at the time of the incident, that Kompany had suffered a "traumatic brain injury"?

Stuuuuuu said:
It's truly hilarious that my last post was met with a response demonstrating staggering illiteracy. Pray tell what evidence there was at the time of the incident, that Kompany had suffered a "traumatic brain injury"?

Traumic Brain Injury: definition

-Penetrating head injuries occur when an object, like shrapnel, enters the brain and causes damage in a specific area.

-Closed head injuries occur when there's a blow to the head, which can happen during a fall, car accident, sporting event, or any number of different ways.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zzBM-_CZHA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zzBM-_CZHA</a>

You cannot have concussion without first receiving TBI. The doctor should have known at the time of the incident that TBI was a realistic possibility given the force of the blow Kompany received. Which turned out to be the case.

Now jog on you idiot as I am shocked you can even spell "illiteracy" given your complete lack of comprehension of a very simple point.

SWP's back said:
Stuuuuuu said:

-Penetrating head injuries occur when an object, like shrapnel, enters the brain and causes damage in a specific area.

-Closed head injuries occur when there's a blow to the head, which can happen during a fall, car accident, sporting event, or any number of different ways.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zzBM-_CZHA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zzBM-_CZHA</a>

You cannot have concussion without first receiving TBI. The doctor should have known at the time of the incident that TBI was a realistic possibility given the force of the blow Kompany received. Which turned out to be the case.

Now jog on you idiot as I am shocked you can even spell "illiteracy" given your complete lack of comprehension of a very simple point.
I'm sure not much more than a month ago you were telling us all to stop spending so much time bickering on here. Welcome back Sam, we've missed you. :-)

SWP's back said:
Stuuuuuu said:
Eccles Blue said:

Illiterate:

People experiencing traumatic brain injuries were at substantially increased risk of ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes up to five years later, according to a retrospective study in Taiwan.

Analysis of hospital records for more than 23,000 individuals diagnosed with traumatic brain injury (TBI) pointed to a 10-fold increase in the risk of stroke within three months (hazard ratio 10.21, 95% CI 8.71 to 11.96) after adjusting for other risk factors, relative to age- and sex-matched controls, reported Herng-Ching Lin, PhD, of Taipei Medical University, and colleagues.

The one- and five-year hazard ratios for stroke after a TBI diagnosis were 4.61 (95% CI 4.16 to 5.11) and 2.32 (95% CI 2.17 to 2.47), respectively, Lin and colleagues wrote online in Stroke: Journal of the American Heart Association.
So this is what Fergiscum was going on about, makes sense now.

Skashion said:
SWP's back said:
Stuuuuuu said:

I'm sure not much more than a month ago you were telling us all to stop spending so much time bickering on here. Welcome back Sam, we've missed you. :-)
Eugh, I just can't stand it when someone is stupid but mistakenly thinks that everyone else are the stupid ones and that they are clever. Then they ask a question and haven't the wherewithal to join the dots from A to B to C and need spoon feeding through the process.

I normally ignore these twonks but I have an hour to kill before going out<br /><br />-- Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:18 pm --<br /><br />
Stuuuuuu said:
Even still, being a literate being, I read even those three in the context of the full posts - which clearly made judgements outside of the conditional.
You may consider yourself literate, but that sentence is a cluster fuck of terrible English.

SWP's back said:
Stuuuuuu said:

On my phone, hence short reply for now. Read my comments. Read your reply. Realise what a desperate imbecile you are. Feel embarrassed.

If I have to spell it out to you, then you really are a hopeless case.<br /><br />-- Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:06 pm --<br /><br />Oh, and sorry for using complex and compound sentences, which evidently trouble your simple mind.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.