Violence at Euro 2016

Is this the first tournament where the Russians have been allowed out of their country to attend in fairly large numbers? I don't remember major problems from them before.

They were given a suspended points deduction after Euro 2012 because after being warned when fighting in their first game, they then fought again in their second game before invading the pitch on their third. That sentence ended during the qualification for this tournament. In the last tournament they played Poland and it kicked off big time, they were out in Warsaw celebrating their national day and the Polish hooligans started launching things off a bridge at them.

Germany v Poland will be the next to kick off without doubt.

Okay, I’m feeling a tad bored with this sanctimonious, holier than thou attitude towards our loveable, balaclava-clad Rusky cousins from across the Baltic.

Firstly, those bare-chested, beer-swilling, chair-throwing “ten German bombers in the air” loud and proud English, aren’t necessarily hooligans, but equally they’re unlikely to be found in a local museum, or admiring the cathedrals and vineyards of the French republic.
Our idea of a good time is basically drinking hard and drinking fast. We hang around in large numbers, and react aggressively to the slightest provocation. We frequently blame the Police for overreaction, but seldom question our own accountability.
The pre match Marseille chaos was reminiscent of a typical Saturday evening in Ibiza, Ayia Napa, or Faliraki. That’s what the English are like, and unfortunately, we’ve become a magnet for foreign hooligan subculture.
We all know that our real hooligans (many of them now in their mid 50s) were banned from travelling. However, the Russians and Marseille gangs just see wave after wave of English aggression, so it was always going to happen.
Many innocent English fans were caught in the panic, but sadly it was just an inevitable consequence of three days of stupidity.
Add a late Saturday kick off to the mix, and you’ve got a perfect recipe for carnage.

The violence inside the stadium was completely different, and far more sinister.
In fact, if a Russian supporter can smuggle a flare gun into a stadium, then you fear for public safety on a far more horrific scale.
From what i've seen of the many videos i've watched and told from mates who were there (and are now in Lille) you seem to be incorrect.

There was no real violence in the stadium, there was a flare gun fired and then just a rush and the England fans shit themselves and ran off. There was only the odd skirmish. Out in Marseille city centre, especially around the port, it was clearly full-on head stamping violence by the Russians, batons and tear gas from the Police and fighting from the French plus reactions to all this by the English. By no means are the English blameless but what you've posted is just pointing the finger at England fans.

Do you point the same blame at the Northern Ireland fans who were involved in fighting in Nice? What about the Germans and Ukrainians when they clashed for two nights in a row? Or is it just the English who bring it on themselves?

Last edited by a moderator:
They were given a suspended points deduction after Euro 2012 because after being warned when fighting in their first game, they then fought again in their second game before invading the pitch on their third. That sentence ended during the qualification for this tournament. In the last tournament they played Poland and it kicked off big time, they were out in Warsaw celebrating their national day and the Polish hooligans started launching things off a bridge at them.

Germany v Poland will be the next to kick off without doubt.
I think the Russians will kick off with the Slovaks before then.

Is this the first tournament where the Russians have been allowed out of their country to attend in fairly large numbers? I don't remember major problems from them before.
They took thousands to Poland in 2012 and unveiled this in the stadium when they played them:
picture.php

But apparently Polish hooligans were ready for what Russia brought and absolutely caved them in all around Warsaw - there were no arrests! NONE!

They took thousands to Poland in 2012 and unveiled this in the stadium when they played them:
picture.php

But apparently Polish hooligans were ready for what Russia brought and absolutely caved them in all around Warsaw - there were no arrests! NONE!
Always amazes me how the hell they got that in

I'm against hooliganism of any sort whoever it comes from and I agree the actions of some England fans have been a total embarrassment. What we're seeing from the Russians does seem different though and a whole lot more sinister in as much that it appears to be not only encouraged by the state but also aided by it. These people are trained and appear to have a lot of resource. The official Russian delegation has a neo-nazi far right activist travelling in their party and their own politicians are openly encouraging it. There's a lot of evidence pointing to the fact that government officials have colluded in Russia with violent gangs in attacks on gay people and it wouldn't surprise me if that kind of thing is going on here too.

There was no real violence in the stadium, there was a flare gun fired and then just a rush and the England fans shit themselves and ran off.

'No real violence'? Apart from people being punched in the face?

Most of the England fans inside the stadium are a different breed to some of those outside.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.