Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very odd how so many people don't seem to be able to get their head around how much the market has inflated over the last few years. It's like the bonkers summer this year never happened. Personally, given how few quality CBs who could fit into Pep's system there are about, I'd have thought if we could get VVD for 60m or 70m it would be about par for the course. I know 70m for a CB sounds ludicrous but no more ludicrous than many deals that went through last summer. It's just the way it is. The alternative is to spend less (but still a reasonably large amount) on someone who is relatively shit.
Probably because the market didn't get inflated beyond normal. 10 CBs moved clubs over the summer, none of, them cost over 45 million.

Bonucci, Keane, Rudiger, Skrinnier, Conte, and Lindelof all moved. None broke the 45 million plain.

And for the record, there are lots of CBs who can play on our system. Many. Hence why Inigo Martinez and JFE are viewed as credible options.

Better to hold the position that transfer fees don't matter.

But in a world where people think it does, 70 million for a Southampton defender is beyond excessive.

Probably because the market didn't get inflated beyond normal. 10 CBs moved clubs over the summer, none of, them cost over 45 million.

Bonucci, Keane, Rudiger, Skrinnier, Conte, and Lindelof all moved. None broke the 45 million plain.

And for the record, there are lots of CBs who can play on our system. Many. Hence why Inigo Martinez and JFE are viewed as credible options.

But in a world where people think it does, 70 million for a Southampton defender is beyond excessive.

That's a very poor attempt to argue the market didn't not get inflated. Just because no CBs moved for 50+ doesnt mean the market was not inflated, it means that no elite level CBs moved, and they didn't with the exception of Bonucci who was allowed to move cheaply so as to stay in country for his son.

Actually Michael Keane moving for £30m with 10 months on his contract is a great example of inflation.

And let's not forget Liverpool being prepared to pay 70m for Van Dijk and being told to fuck off for non financial reasons.

Regardless of those 2 examplee, no CBs moving for 50+ =/= market not inflating.

I have no idea why you think any of those moves are comparable transactions to VVD. You keep saying it but it isn't true. In order:
  • Bonucci - Only wanted to move within Italy, took a cut rate deal to go to Milan. City and Chelsea both would've paid 60mm to get him last summer if he was available to them
  • Keane - Four different loans over four years, plays two years at Burnley, moves with 10 months on his contract. Good player but no one thinks he is a top talent
  • Rudiger - Played for Roma, attracted Chelsea interest. Was going to move earlier but suffered a knee injury, Chelsea was the only big club coming back for him afterwards
  • Conti - Transferred from Atalanta to Milan, not remotely comparable to a transfer between PL clubs
  • Lindelof - Benfica sold earlier in the summer to pay for their own moves and raise some cash, finances a total shambles. United were the only destination

I have no idea why you think any of those moves are comparable transactions to VVD. You keep saying it but it isn't true. In order:
  • Bonucci - Only wanted to move within Italy, took a cut rate deal to go to Milan. City and Chelsea both would've paid 60mm to get him last summer if he was available to them
  • Keane - Four different loans over four years, plays two years at Burnley, moves with 10 months on his contract. Good player but no one thinks he is a top talent
  • Rudiger - Played for Roma, attracted Chelsea interest. Was going to move earlier but suffered a knee injury, Chelsea was the only big club coming back for him afterwards
  • Conti - Transferred from Atalanta to Milan, not remotely comparable to a transfer between PL clubs
  • Lindelof - Benfica sold earlier in the summer to pay for their own moves and raise some cash, finances a total shambles. United were the only destination

Conti is a clutch for straws, not Even in the same bracket or position transferwise.

3B9E884300000578-4064310-Virgil_van_Dijk_poses_in_a_Manchester_City_shirt_as_his_team_mat-a-96_1482612138289.jpg
looks good in Blue ,

I was going to respond to this but I think other posters have covered it. I'm sure when a top CB goes to a Premier League club he will cost a fortune, particularly if the transfer is between two Prem clubs. I don't know why some people are happy for us to spend pots of cash on attackers and midfielders but see us potentially undermine that by either not bothering buying defenders or if we do buy defenders, go for ones that don't come close to matching the quality we have in other areas of the team. You're only as strong as your weakest link and all that.

That's a very poor attempt to argue the market didn't not get inflated. Just because no CBs moved for 50+ doesnt mean the market was not inflated, it means that no elite level CBs moved, and they didn't with the exception of Bonucci who was allowed to move cheaply so as to stay in country for his son.

Actually Michael Keane moving for £30m with 10 months on his contract is a great example of inflation.

And let's not forget Liverpool being prepared to pay 70m for Van Dijk and being told to fuck off for non financial reasons.

Regardless of those 2 examplee, no CBs moving for 50+ =/= market not inflating.
Well, nothing you said opposes my position.
1. I never said the market didn't get inflated. I said it didn't any more than usual.
2. And that no one moved for over 50 suggest there was no unusual inflation.
3. Lots of top CBs moved. And they didn't cost 50 or more. Not to suggest a player can't move for over 50 million. But that should be the exception, not the rule.
4. If the world best CB wanted to move from one top club to another, Perhaps!

But I'm.sorry Southampton is on no position to be demanding 20 million above the the world record price. That's just silly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.