Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had Jesus not already been capped for Brazil? Or was already being watched by the Spanish Auld Firm? I believe it was Pep who wanted him, meaning our scouts probably knew FA about him until Pep said.
I'll let you have Nacho tho.
I'd presume, most of our players 18 and under have been scouted, they don't seem too bad.

I was under the impression that a scout is supposed to uncover previously unknown/unheralded talent that should be able to fit into a team's chosen system. I do not believe that our first-team scouts have been good at this at all. Think of the players we have been linked with that other teams have bought but because they played in a non-top-four country, they get overlooked until they play a season in England.
Hypothetical question: Messi or Ronaldo get transfer listed. Would you really send scouts to watch them? Of course you wouldn't, cos it's not necessary.

I'm not sure how you mean by first team scout. We're one of the top clubs in Europe - any player good enough to get into our first team straight away is going to be known about by every top club, which is why they cost £30m+. In those instances, the scouting is going to be about character, off the field stuff, rather than can they pass. Which other top 4 club in one of the top leagues has 'found' a player who was able to drop into the first team? It's not how it works at any of them - they either try and find promising kids or buy proven talent. You don't get to be top 4 by taking gambles

If you look at the of the recent top premier league players who you could argue we could have picked up cheap - Kante, Mahrez and Payet, all 3 obviously had talent, but they were at well known clubs, would have been watched and teams would have decided they weren't worth the risk, hence why they went relatively cheaply - even Payet who was in the team of the season in France. All 3 had the seasons of their lives last year, yet I suspect we'd all have been a bit pissed if they'd been our 3 signings in the previous summer.

Back to Van Dijk, he has spoken.

"Every player in the world has ambitions; I have ambitions like everyone else. I want to get the maximum out of myself as a player. I can improve in every aspect and that takes time. That takes games. That takes playing at the highest level and with the national team.

"The figures you mention about me? I cannot do anything about that. That is football these days. But I don't feel the pressure - no chance."

From: http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/tran...fuels-man-city-liverpool-rumours?ICID=HP_BN_3

Seems to me he would like to make the next step up, lets just pay the fee and get him in.

Van Dijk

been told by a good lad who i know that YES united are in for him and its 80% that he will move in this window

Do you really believe our first-team scouts are doing a good job?

Yes I absolutely do. I also believe we have some of the best youth scouts in the world and our policy regarding the signing and development of the youth is exceptional in my opinion.

You cannot point at Virgil van Dijk as proof they are worthy of 'despair'. We just signed john stones mate.

Yes I absolutely do. I also believe we have some of the best youth scouts in the world and our policy regarding the signing and development of the youth is exceptional in my opinion.

You cannot point at Virgil van Dijk as proof they are worthy of 'despair'. We just signed john stones mate.
Is that the same John Stones we could have bought for peanuts a couple of years ago?

Is that the same John Stones we could have bought for peanuts a couple of years ago?

You can't be serious. are you saying Everton have better scout than us because they got John Stones earlier? Is that your logic? In which case Everton must also have better scouts that Barcelona, Madrid and Southampton right? Madness mate.

We bought diaz, Garcia, maffeo, angelino on the cheap because we got them early but you can't get everyone at that age. Sane could have been double the price he was by next year had we not snapped him up early, John stones could have gone up by next year had we not got him early. De Bruyne could have been 80-90 mil by now had we not bought him for 50 earlier on.

What I'm trying to say is there will always be players we miss out on, just as there is for every team in the world. But I think our scouts are doing a damn good job on the whole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.