WARNING - Parking for City games

Matty said:
urmston said:
People parking on someone's land without permission deserve all they get.

If off-road land is not specifically marked as a car park why not assume it isn't a car park?

Simple really.

There are parking bays on the floor of the land, ergo it's specifically marked as a car park.

I think most drivers realise that private land is rarely available for everyone to park on whether it is marked out as a car park or not. That's why most drivers are never clamped or fined.

Some motorists seem to think that if some land is not fenced off and festooned with notices forbidding parking then that's as good as an open invitiation to park on it. I doubt these people apply the same logic to their own driveways and gardens though, just other peoples land.

urmston said:
Matty said:
There are parking bays on the floor of the land, ergo it's specifically marked as a car park.

I think most drivers realise that private land is rarely available for everyone to park on whether it is marked out as a car park or not. That's why most drivers are never clamped or fined.

Some motorists seem to think that if some land is not fenced off and festooned with notices forbidding parking then that's as good as an open invitiation to park on it. I doubt these people apply the same logic to their own driveways and gardens though, just other peoples land.

If I'd parked on your driveway for 6 years, at times when you were away from home, and there was 0% chance of you returning, or me causing you an obstruction even if you did, then I would apply the same logic. Especially if I knew one of your friends, who had spoken to you and been given permission to use your driveway, and on occasion I'd used my car to transport said friend and parked on your drive.

I think it's a different matter if:-

A - You've been parking on the land for 6 years, with no threat of clamping.

B - Someone physically directs you onto the land, and charges you £5 to park there.

In scenario A I'd expect a little more notice than 2 not very large, and not very prominent, new signs to indicate the change in parking policy. After 6 years of parking there's a degree of expectation that the norm will be maintained, any change to that should be implicitly stated. The signs were not in areas that would be obvious to people parking. You'd need to notice the signs (which weren't present in all areas of the carpark), then physically investigate what they say (there was nothing as obvious and simple as NO PARKING written on them, it was small font description of the fines to be impossed so, in theory, you could spot the sign but not realise it was a no parking sign).

In scenario B there's quite obvious deception taking place. If someone is directing you onto the land, and charging you to park, then it's a reasonable assumption that they have the right to allow you to park there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.