Was Gareth Barry the Player You Expected?

Gareth Barry was everything that i expected him to be.

I'd watched him in enough Villa games beforehand to know that he's never been the truly consistent type ...... some good games , but probably more insignificant ones ..... and some City fans definetely went 'overboard' on him when he signed here ... but i knew the 'real score'.

Think about it ........ how many times previously had he really stood out whenever we played Villa ?

Not many ... that's how many!

Hes always got the odd goal , sure , and that's continued now that he's here ..... but seriously we wouldn't have got him for £12 million , if he was a world class player ....... he is in the 'good player' bracket however , but that's on his better days.

yep , he's not let me down in any way ......... and he's hardly likely to change now , at 29 years of age either!

Mike D said:
The problem is when you are a good player in a average/ above average team you always gonng to stand out more. When you are playing amongst better players you don't tend to stand out so much. For me Barry is a good player and I have no doubt we haven't seen the best of him yet. Next season you willl see a better Gareth Barry from this season but despite that he is never going to be the stand out player he was at Villa.
Exactly like Wright-Phillips.

playing along side a class midfielder he will get better, why does he play so well for england and why is he one of the first names on the teamsheet?

because he has lampard and gerrard, he can focus more on his defensive side of his game.

get a creative player in and barry will shine, for example barry always played well with ireland IMO.

mancityscot said:
Well if I was to answer that question, the answer would be a resounding no. When we signed him from Villa, I couldn't believe it. He was their talisman ad almost irreplaceable, never in a million years would I have though we could get such a player. He was a great player and was in the form of a gerrard, lampard player, that was the heart and soul of that club. I really admired him as a player. And even though hroughout the summer, even if we didn't buy anyone else that summer, it was still successful as we had signed him. Then our first three/ four games were played and were all won. Barry was immense and looked a supreme player for us. Then after the Villa game his form dropped, because of the stick he got. Now strangley enough that was when the form of the team dropped and we went on the streak of draws. Barry's drop In form was the demise of the team. But back to the main point. I expected him to overcome that and continue the form he started with at the beginning of the season, and in my opinion he didnt do that. Whether this was due to the stick he got we'll never know. But as the season went on he almost became anonymous in my opinion and was very lazy and nowhere near the level I thought he was at. I have a feeling that if Barry's form had been electric throughout the season we would have been 3rd or 4th.

He has fallen in my estimations, fro what I though of him when he was at villa and at the dart of the season.

Do any of you feel that Barry has underachieved greatly this season? was he the player you expected?

wasn't it mentioned earlier on in the season that he was playing with some kind of injury that required surgery but he was going to wait till after the world cup to have it done? maybe a hernia or something i can't quite remember unless i dreamt it.

I thought, considering this was his first season here and he was adapting to non-Villa life for the first time, he's done pretty good. According to the other players interviews, he's quiet quite and needs to come out of his shell a bit.

He'll do better next year, his talent is unquestionable (ask Fabio)

Given a choice between Barry and De Jong (especially if we get a creative m/fielder), i would take De jong every game. Barry has always IMO been the most overated player in the EPL though that has been superceded by that fuckwit Berbaflop!!

Greenjob said:
Given a choice between Barry and De Jong (especially if we get a creative m/fielder), i would take De jong every game. Barry has always IMO been the most overated player in the EPL though that has been superceded by that fuckwit Berbaflop!!

Funnily enough, I think De Jong is overrated by some Bluemooners....in my opinion, of course.

Mike D said:
The problem is when you are a good player in a average/ above average team you always gonng to stand out more. When you are playing amongst better players you don't tend to stand out so much. For me Barry is a good player and I have no doubt we haven't seen the best of him yet. Next season you willl see a better Gareth Barry from this season but despite that he is never going to be the stand out player he was at Villa.

how does this explain Barry consistently being one of the best players in the England team?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.