Was Gareth Barry the Player You Expected?

Team mates (from the horses mouth at recent branch meeting) rate him immensely.The 'unsung hero','people dont always appreciate what he does for the team in a general workmanlike way' are paraphrases of what they said.One said Barry's opta stats generally show that he has covered around 2 km's more than the rest of the team.

Fellow professionals one would have thought are as good a reference as any for a players worth to the team.

I think he is one of those you miss when he is not there (against the better teams at least).This was certainly the case last week .... Spurs got more of the ball and a lot more space when he went off injured.At least I thought so!

yawa said:
I agree. He started great but dipped very quickly. He rarely keeps the ball under pressure and it looks like his legs are about to give way every time he has possession. Lots of improving to be done.
Another 1 that feels the same impression, It might just be me but are the pounds piling on (weight that is, we know ther're already accumilating in the bank account!)

He was carrying an injury for most of the season and it showed. He was in top form last few games before he got injured against Spurs which cost us fourth place. The minute he went off we were overrun in midfield and the game was lost.

blue order said:
Team mates (from the horses mouth at recent branch meeting) rate him immensely.The 'unsung hero','people dont always appreciate what he does for the team in a general workmanlike way' are paraphrases of what they said.One said Barry's opta stats generally show that he has covered around 2 km's more than the rest of the team.

Fellow professionals one would have thought are as good a reference as any for a players worth to the team.

I think he is one of those you miss when he is not there (against the better teams at least).This was certainly the case last week .... Spurs got more of the ball and a lot more space when he went off injured.At least I thought so!
I've heard Gerrard in an interview a year or two ago saying how much he rated Barry, he's never been a headline grabber but it seems players and managers alike rate him very highly. I've been impressed but its because what I've seen is what i've expected, one of those players that you only realise how good he is when he's not in the side, he wins numerous crucial tackles and headers during games, and his distribution is usually of a very high standard. A very important player for us imo, think he'd like to get forward a tad more but tactics at times prevent that.

leewill31 said:
very poor comments by some on here about barry obviously you haven't noticed the amount of work and effort this guy has done to compensate the lack of creativity in the middle.

playing along side de jong has stifled his game and that's not de jongs fault there just have been very limited choices thus what i have seen is a defensive midfielder trying to all so play an attacking forward and has totally suffered for it.
Spot on, I cannot understand some of the comments on here by people who have not got a clue about football, the bloke is class and not like some of the headless chickens we have had in the past, someone mentioned they would prefer the thug joey barton....do me a fucking favour.

obviously not the player Cuntis expected; ha!
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2967683/Gareth-Barry-out-so-Owen-Hargreaves-is-back.html#mySunComments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... unComments</a>

cleavers said:
m35 blue68 said:
Absolutely SPOT ON there leewill31, for someone who would not only be a cert to go to south africa if fit but be on the teamsheet in all the games then people on here are certainly showing a lack of knowledge for football and are blinded buy the blue blinkers.
People need to wake up and realise when we have got a good player on our hands - no he probably isnt the best in the world but i'd go with a player who 6m/yr capello would chose rather than the muppets on here who chose to always want to have a player to pick on and criticise - so who we slagging next?

Get a life you pricks and take the blinkers off!

So people are not allowed an opinion now ?

Opinions yes, but this thread is aimed at slagging the bloke off which shouldnt be, unless its just to throw a grenade and duck back down behind the parapet.

Chick Counterfly said:
he's got a lot going for him but somehow he seems a bit of a curate's egg for me. his best asset is his craft in keeping the ball in midfield. he has a good technique and uses every trick in the book. when he plays well he can really pull strings, but he seems very passive at times... for me, he's obviousle very slow, and his passing is often a bit weak... you see how viera does it, he really pings it into the forwards feet at a rate of knots, the midfielders don't have time to cut it out, the defender doesn't have time to get close. we have technically good forwards and they can use the pace of the ball to their advantage.

with barry he often either goes square, or down the wing with his passes... they can be fantastic but I've always thought he 'loops' the ball to his team mate, it's accurate and easy to control but the opponent has time to adjust and make the target's life difficult. it's not a huge issue but when we look laboured, too slow in our play, I often notice it. the real complaint is that there have been so many apalling set pieces. and two goals is a poor return, he's had quite a few decent chances only to fall over at the crucial moment.

I'm know he has craft, and I know he usually puts the work in on the pitch but there is something I just can't put my finger on. the passiveness, and the way he never seems to talk about us....I just don't know how happy he is here. good player tho, and a good professional. I agree, put an essien or a gerrard alongside him who drives forward and he'd look a lot better, IMO.

Great post imo. Can't help but agree with the bit I've highlighted; Barry often looks desperately unbalanced at times you really need him to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was carrying a couple of niggles during the season, given how laboured he appeared compared with when he was on top form.

Nicky D said:
Chick Counterfly said:
he's got a lot going for him but somehow he seems a bit of a curate's egg for me. his best asset is his craft in keeping the ball in midfield. he has a good technique and uses every trick in the book. when he plays well he can really pull strings, but he seems very passive at times... for me, he's obviousle very slow, and his passing is often a bit weak... you see how viera does it, he really pings it into the forwards feet at a rate of knots, the midfielders don't have time to cut it out, the defender doesn't have time to get close. we have technically good forwards and they can use the pace of the ball to their advantage.

with barry he often either goes square, or down the wing with his passes... they can be fantastic but I've always thought he 'loops' the ball to his team mate, it's accurate and easy to control but the opponent has time to adjust and make the target's life difficult. it's not a huge issue but when we look laboured, too slow in our play, I often notice it. the real complaint is that there have been so many apalling set pieces. and two goals is a poor return, he's had quite a few decent chances only to fall over at the crucial moment.

I'm know he has craft, and I know he usually puts the work in on the pitch but there is something I just can't put my finger on. the passiveness, and the way he never seems to talk about us....I just don't know how happy he is here. good player tho, and a good professional. I agree, put an essien or a gerrard alongside him who drives forward and he'd look a lot better, IMO.

Great post imo. Can't help but agree with the bit I've highlighted; Barry often looks desperately unbalanced at times you really need him to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was carrying a couple of niggles during the season, given how laboured he appeared compared with when he was on top form.

this is the point he has carried a few injurys as we all know but he has carried on and been flogged all season because quiet frankly he is without doubt one of if not the best central midfielder we have(not much choice i know).

this is why i have a problem with a few misjudged comments about him on here,though no fault of his own he has had to put his body and fitness on the line for the club and far to many have missed this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.