Watford (H) | EFL Cup | Post Match Thread

Can't believe the noise over that disallowed Watford goal. The lad extends his forearm across Braithwaite's face and shoves his elbow into him, and then he makes sure he gets him across the knee as well. Doesn't even complain when the ref blows up because he knows it's a foul.

It wasn't side on either, he was coming from slightly behind Braithwaite and barged him off the ball. Was excessive force and not a shoulder to shoulder contact. At 16 he's obviously going to go down more easily than a senior player would have, but it was a foul in my opinion.

Good night overall , glad some young lads got to play. Braithwaite was a surprise choice, only just got in u18s. Unless the older lads e.g JSP/ MH vhad a game I'd expected a few of that ilk but as we know Pep doesn't give out presents.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement fir a few of them unless they are getting ready for another game ?

Pep occasionally brings someone in who hasn't looked like the next off the conveyor belt. It's probably a combination of being impressed by his attitude and approach off the pitch and wanting to dangle the carrot to the younger lads down the age groups to get more out of them at their respective levels.

Some of the other EDS lads have a good level of competition in the UEFA Youth League etc and I'm certain Pep wanted to win the game, and will want to win the competition even if he does rotate. Great way to keep the squad happy, we've got a lot of fringe players who needed minutes and probably wouldn't have taken too kindly to seeing a load of academy players getting in ahead of them.

Pep singled Phil out after the final whistle. Gave him the full Keeganesque love-in, for some reason I think Phil's a bit fragile at the moment.
Domestic issues and fitness must be on his mind, because I honestly don’t believe he had an “illness.”

I hope things improve soon or he’ll find himself on the bench for awhile.

I hope we win this but with a full second string, which we are capable of..
Too many other games lots higher in the pecking order nowadays which is great as it’s down to our continued success..
I don’t think it will be to much longer before all PL teams are pulled from the competition completely.. The landscape has changed drastically and there is no going back from here ..

It wasn't side on either, he was coming from slightly behind Braithwaite and barged him off the ball. Was excessive force and not a shoulder to shoulder contact. At 16 he's obviously going to go down more easily than a senior player would have, but it was a foul in my opinion.
Saw it from a really good angle on the highlights. Definitely a foul.

Pep occasionally brings someone in who hasn't looked like the next off the conveyor belt. It's probably a combination of being impressed by his attitude and approach off the pitch and wanting to dangle the carrot to the younger lads down the age groups to get more out of them at their respective levels.

Some of the other EDS lads have a good level of competition in the UEFA Youth League etc and I'm certain Pep wanted to win the game, and will want to win the competition even if he does rotate. Great way to keep the squad happy, we've got a lot of fringe players who needed minutes and probably wouldn't have taken too kindly to seeing a load of academy players getting in ahead of them.
More a matter of position than anything imho. With Ake out and Gvardiol being used so much, it was a chance to blood a good technician with a good left foot. His highlight reel is decent and apart from his physicality (he’s 16!!) he did not look out of place.

He is either going to be a good first team squad addition or another $25M for the pot.

Good luck to the lad!

Last edited:
I hope we win this but with a full second string, which we are capable of..
Too many other games lots higher in the pecking order nowadays which is great as it’s down to our continued success..
I don’t think it will be to much longer before all PL teams are pulled from the competition completely.. The landscape has changed drastically and there is no going back from here ..
I agree!

Maybe it should become an EFL Trophy (as in League Cup!!!) again, with (maybe) an automatic promotion instead of European place? Something worth really fighting for!

Strange 90 mins.

Far the better team, but as per usual with Pep teams we just seemed to coast in the 2nd half and we all knew the goal would come for Watford (first shot on target)

Thought Rico, O'Reilly, Nunes, Jack and both James McAtee/Doku had a good game.

Braithwaite looked good, but I'm sure if the challenge on him that led to Watfords disallowed goal against someone like Dias it would of stood.

Savinho was great 2nd half on top.

Not sure, but Phil Foden looked half arsed in the game, especially in the 2nd half

Anybody else notice the two groups of around thirty fans singing very load foreign songs and clapping obviously supporters of another club. But celebrating both our goals and no trouble at all. Must of been 60+ in total. CTID

FC Twente fans, how they got tickets is another thing. Same time as the game was on, another group of Twente fans were fighting with Man United

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.