We are not mentally weak

How do you explain their appalling record against other top four sides in recent years?
They do not have the quality in DM and up front to win as many of their games as you'd think they could with what appears to be a quality side at first glance. They are not good enough in DM and CF and get found out against the better sides more often than not.

They do not have the quality in DM and up front to win as many of their games as you'd think they could with what appears to be a quality side at first glance. They are not good enough in DM and CF and get found out against the better sides more often than not.
Every team has some inherent weakness. We posses some that Arsenal do not share. It doesn't prevent us from being regular title challengers. They contain enough overall quality to at least sustain a title challenge imo. That they perennially fail to is down to a lack of mental strength, rather than an absence of general ability.

For me what is more to the point is intelligence.

United have by all accounts been poor in most games and in some for the whole 90 minutes. We meanwhile played very well during the first 5 fixtures and should have beaten West Ham too. However we are now second.

For me it is naivety. An inability to read the different stages of a match. As many have said a goal up away from home should have seen a more pragmatic performance against Spurs.

The Juve game was informative. We went one up with quite a lot of time left. Juve did not panic, bomb forward and end up 2 down. They bided their time and when the chances arose took them. It was a lesson we have not learnt yet. While we are at a much higher level now this reminds me of Keegan´s time in charge. Not much attention or indeed respect paid to opposition teams especially defensively. The belief that we are good enough to beat anyone, which of course we are, but not if we don´t show a bit more savvy at times.

You can put any name you wish to a side that when its behind gets nothing from a game and lacks the ability to dig out a result.

When we have been behind at half time in our past 12 games our record is 0-1-11.

This season we have blown leads against very average sides in Juventus and Spurs.

I do agree the massive injury list ( what resources are we putting into player management FFS ) has unbalanced us and Saturday was one big cock up starting from the management team down after we took the lead but overall our management team and the playing group lack steel and this combined with the injuries will derail this season unless we get smarter on match days and lift our intensity over 90 minutes.

I take it that this is just league games? We were 2-1 down to Bayern Munich at ht in our last CL group game last season and came back to win 3-2.

*awaiting the mentally weak pontificating about the mentally weak*

I'll have a go, GDM!!!! I think we have a lot of 'artists' in the team and if they can't get the right shade to light up the canvas something pretty near enough just won't do. Sergio seems to be after a goal that could be hanged on the wall of the Argentina National Art Gallery, whereas MANUre will be happy for one to be floating in Pomona Dock!

To the players: I have seen your artistry. I applaud it. It has rocked we FOCs in CBL3! Could we possibly have half a dozen scuffers and scabbers on Wednesday. Yes, I know that the press will focus on them being scuffers and scabbers but a resounding win à la MCWFC is all we're asking for. Can't be too much to ask for. Just give both linos a fuckin' eye test before kick off!

When vinny is not there and we are behind u look around the team for someone to pick the players up of the floor! That player doesn't seem to be there or he's just not showing? Hopefully with zabba coming back he will be the player to get the others going when the chips are down!

When vinny is not there and we are behind u look around the team for someone to pick the players up of the floor! That player doesn't seem to be there or he's just not showing? Hopefully with zabba coming back he will be the player to get the others going when the chips are down!

Precisely, the really strong characters and leaders in the squad are Zaba, Kompany,Silva, Yaya and Aguero. They're the players who got us to our first trophies in this era and nobody would question their mental toughness. At the start of the 2nd half on Saturday we had just a half-fit Yaya who was soon to go off and an out of sorts Aguero who can't sort his own game out let alone anyone elses. But that's when the rest of the squad have to step up and I felt they failed dismally, and yes I do think that was down to a collective lack of resolve and leadership and I would call that mental weakness.

Precisely, the really strong characters and leaders in the squad are Zaba, Kompany,Silva, Yaya and Aguero. They're the players who got us to our first trophies in this era and nobody would question their mental toughness. At the start of the 2nd half on Saturday we had just a half-fit Yaya who was soon to go off and an out of sorts Aguero who can't sort his own game out let alone anyone elses. But that's when the rest of the squad have to step up and I felt they failed dismally, and yes I do think that was down to a collective lack of resolve and leadership and I would call that mental weakness.

Aguero, Yaya, Silva aren't leaders. They'll go out and do something fantastic which will lift the team, but not like Hart or Zaba or Kompany who will shout and yell and pump them up, and get them going with a loud word and demand the best from the team.

They're doers, not leaders.

I think Otamendi will be a leader in time, but he's the new guy for now.

Aguero, Yaya, Silva aren't leaders. They'll go out and do something fantastic which will lift the team, but not like Hart or Zaba or Kompany who will shout and yell and pump them up, and get them going with a loud word and demand the best from the team.

They're doers, not leaders.

I think Otamendi will be a leader in time, but he's the new guy for now.
I strongly disagree with you on Silva, he may not be vocal but he is definitely a leader, he pulls the strings in that team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.