We need defenders who can defend

Its the worst defence we have had in years. We got a rock solid keeper but whats in front of it for the majority of the season has been poor. We cant do the art of defending our players we have there are prone to fucking up and its not as if we spent 30 million plus on some of these defenders. Oh wait we have.

Im all for having a defender who can play the ball out of defence as long as they can defend too. Otamendi for me can play the ball well but his defending can go from brilliant to shambolic at times and its the same with Mangala. As for our fullbacks Kolarov . Clichy and Sagna just cant be relied on to defend and put a shift in. There all good going forward. Our only real defender is Zaba yest he is returning from injury just think a Zabba would help this team out big time. Add in Kompany too and its a solid defence that can do both defend and support the attack.

This season is going to be won on how well we do defensively in the remaining games stay strong we will score goals and keep some clean sheets we will be winning this title. If we continue to defend as we are we will struggle in games and might it tighter to win the title.

You might want to rethink your appraisal of Sagna. He has been fantastic this season both in defending and "putting a shift in". In fact have just read your post again and think your just off point in so many ways

Mangala, as much as I like the lad, seldom will play the ball out.
Clichy and Kolo may not be the best defensively, but they seldom fail to put a shift in.
Clichy isn't that great going fwd.

I'm totally in agreement with others who have said that the lack of protection from midfield is the biggest contributor to us leaking as many as we have this season, and there are several culprits

How many more tens of millions would people throw at the problem? Even if we got Stones and Ramos, they'd be condemned as shit on here after a few games.

The problem is the system. Everyone should be trained and drilled in what's expected of them instead of seemingly being told just to go out and enjoy themselves.

(Plus bad luck with Vinny, who does appear to add some discipline when he plays.)

The problem is quite simply the tactics employed by our manager. A high defensive line with a slow defence. Throw in too many luxury players who are not prepared to graft.

We should play a back four coupled with two holding midfielders, then a left footed pacey player on the left and a right footed pacey player on the right for balance, shape, and also to counter the opposition getting in behind us out wide on the wings .

With Aguero up top the remaining one place in the team can be decided by a bun fight between Yaya, De Brunner and Silva. Will our manager do that no he won't.

How many more tens of millions would people throw at the problem? Even if we got Stones and Ramos, they'd be condemned as shit on here after a few games.

The problem is the system. Everyone should be trained and drilled in what's expected of them instead of seemingly being told just to go out and enjoy themselves.

(Plus bad luck with Vinny, who does appear to add some discipline when he plays.)
Correct,fuck me how long have I been saying this for !

Who'd of thought a top prem team manager doing that.

Pellers isn't Pep, but he is a successful and experienced manager. Give him some credit

Its a preference i have regarding Sagna dont think he is offering as much. Just compare Sagna at the weekend to Zaba if he starts midweek. Were more solid as a unit when Zaba plays more leadership and better all round its just a opinion thats all.

All titles are won on who defends the best,we are dodgy at times I admit,but I look at it this way today,we beat Leicester a week on Saturday and that will be that,we will be top and it's in our own hands,which I feel we won't let slip,so at 13/10 to win it,get your coin on now lads to pay for your Summer holidays.............

I suugest you go and check your facts: the team that have been champions in England in the last several years have more often been the team that scores the most goals rather than the team with the best defence.

Our defence makes too many individual errors like Saturday when Otamendi fucked up but a lot of the rest of it is down to the system. Even saying that I bet we are close to having the most clean sheets this season although most were with Kompany playing.

As a top team you simply have to defend on the front foot, absolutely no question about it.

You may well get short term success (ala Mourinho) playing a very defensive, containing system and counter attacking but teams soon get used to it and shut up shop, take the 0-0 and they're happy.

To be successful long term you have to score goals and front foot defending as risky as it is gives you far more opportunities to score on counter attacks.

People moan about Pellegrini and the system we play but it is let down by the lack of work rate and desire in midfield, nothing else.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.