We need defenders who can defend

Interesting how opinion is starting to change on Otamendi. I got slated week after week at the start of the season for suggesting he's quite a poor defender, his hollywood reel tackles earned him a hell of a lot of plaudits on here and he quickly become the new bluemoon darling who could do no wrong. I think he'll be one of the first out under Pep unless he decides to turn him into a destroyer type midfielder in the mould of De Jong. Pep insists on good positioning, Otamendi ignores positioning completely half the time and just chases the ball like a dog on heat. I still have faith Mangala will turn into a great defender under a manager that isn't Pellegrini. I think we'll go into next season with Kompany, Mangala, Denayer + a new defender with that +1 preferably not being Stones who i just don't think is very good at actually defending.

I take your point about Otamendi. But of the two, I'm not actually sure that it's Mangala who can improve. He just doesn't seem to learn anything. Maybe with Vinny next to him all the time, showing him the ropes. Trouble is, I'm now convinced that Vinny can no longer be relied on to put in a full season for us. I want this lad Denayer back sharpish, if he's potentially as good as everyone says he is. Anyone been tracking his performances on loan this season?

the harsh criticism of Ota is as unwarranted as the lofty praise and adulation; he's had an ok season, great at times, littered with mistakes. i seriously think with a senior centre back alongside him, constantly telling him what to do (oooo i dunno, Kompany?), he could be very good. he just needs constant reminders.

the harsh criticism of Ota is as unwarranted as the lofty praise and adulation; he's had an ok season, great at times, littered with mistakes. i seriously think with a senior centre back alongside him, constantly telling him what to do (oooo i dunno, Kompany?), he could be very good. he just needs constant reminders.

I agree but at 28 years of age he shouldn't need that.

firstly i did genuinely not know he is 28, that's surprised me!! and he still defends like a 20 year old??
secondly, i still think he's got 5 good years in him so a calming presence would still be a good thing

What you need from a solid backline is consistency. Our problem is the only player we have that has been consistent, is now constantly injured.

Otamendi looks a solid, consistent player, if he has a go0d solid partner alongside him. Unfortunately in Mangala and DeMike, he doesn't have that. So complacency can set in at times during a game, but as its its his first season in the PL you can give him that time..

Mangala and DeMike have had time. DeMike is old and and leaving so no point wasting time on him.

Mangala, reminds me of a Micah Richards playing CB alongside Richard Dunne. Hoping his sheer power and speed will get him out of trouble whilst the positioning awareness of his partner covers him. Problem is, for Mangala, the only player like that we have is Kompany.

We need another Kompany-type player in the backline. Someone who can read the danger before it comes, not waiting to deal with it when the danger is on top of them.

But overall, i think the key position and player we are lacking is the Central Defensive Midfielder. Someone who doesnt go further than the centre circle.

Delph is a Box to Box player, ideal to play alongside a CDM. As is Fernandinho.

Yaya ... cant decide what he is now, a CM/CAM?? defensively ... maybe useful defending a corner?

Fernando is probably the only CDM we have, but really should be the backup player to the real CDM, who we are lacking to cover and stop the danger from the backline.

Solutions?? New Defensively minded players? Do we try and go for players that have had good seasons and can still develop like Kante (Leicester) or Kouyate (West Ham) or get a stellar, overpriced, established player who may or not work in the PL?

... oh .... and before i woke up this morning , City were 4-0 up in the first 20 minutes against Everton. Dunno if that was a dream or a memory, but Navas scored number 4, on a break after good work from Yaya. Just thought i'd stick that bit in there too ....

Perhaps he just needs a season to get used to the league, like loads of players do?

Or perhaps just an extended period with one partner?

All our centrebacks seem to be in this pattern of making the same mistakes every time the pairing changes. Mangala does something stupid next to Kompany, then doesn't do it again until he's paired with Otamendi and he relapses. Then Demichelis plays and he does the same mistake once, then Otamendi is back and it happens again.

Otamendi is the same, he's made the same cock up get pushed of a ball next to Mangala, Demichelis and Komapany now.

Yet when given an extended run Mangala-Otamendi did look decent enough.

I disagree i think the way we're set up we could have baresi in his prime and beckenbaur and they would look shite. Our full backs attack we play with three flair player in silva Kdb and sterling and we play yaya defensive midfield . So we are set up to attack watch pellegrinis press conference "i repeat we are an attacking side who like to score goals and create many chances ". It ain't rocket science it's the system we use.

Our defence makes too many individual errors like Saturday when Otamendi fucked up but a lot of the rest of it is down to the system. Even saying that I bet we are close to having the most clean sheets this season although most were with Kompany playing.
You don't have to have played well defensively to have kept a clean sheet. The opposition could have missed a load of chances.

Both Otamendi and Demichelis need to be fucked off. Otamendi is far too rash. We need centre halves, urgently. Lukaku has made them both look ordinary tonight

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.