Weird Away Days

Barnsley Away in the 80’s on the football special. Train hit a horse and was then delayed for a couple of hours and we got to Barnsley at half time, 400 lads legging it down the hill to the ground. All that effort for 0-0 draw.

My first time on a football special that. If I remember correctly was a bank holiday weekend and we were home to Leeds on the monday (maybe wrong and old age getting better of me)

Went to Maine Road once to watch City Reserves play United Reserves. Just a shame it was played at Old Trafford. DOH!!!!!!!!!

Went in a Finglands soccer coach to Stoke in the mid 60's. When we got there we realised the driver had taken us to Port Vale.

Are Finglands still around?

That boxing day match at Stoke when we took 12,000 fans, the majority in fancy dress. I decided to hire a Father Christmas outfit so I looked the part, it being over the Christmas period. So I'm with my mates hungover on the bus to get the coach. Suddenly I hear, "Mam mam it's Father Christmas!!" by a group of excited kids. I'm thinking "Where??" and start looking around, totally forgetting I had this outfit on. So I then had to pretend I was bloody Father Christmas so as not to shatter the poor kids illusions. Pretty hard with a hangover and this happened most of the day there and back, lol!!!

Great day out but in true typical City style we lost.

Huddersfield away in the 60s' City fans changed ends at half time, seen it a few times in them days but this one was hilarious there so many of us.

I should mention it was a complete full end behind the goals just walked around the pitch to the other end.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.