Welcome Erling Haaland | Signing confirmed on a 5 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Release clauses, done right, make sense for the player and the club.

We saw last season with how Grealish and Kane worked out.

Grealish wanted to come to City, City were willing to pay the release clause, Villa were amply compensated.

Kane wanted to come to City, City were willing to pay a record-breaking fee, Spurs shut the whole thing down.

A release clause, set at a value high enough to deter everyone constantly making offers, high enough for the selling club to make a big profit and be able to afford a replacement, and low enough that a club that really wants to buy the player can justify spending it, puts the player in charge of his future. If someone meets the release clause, he has a simple choice to make - stay or go. Whatever he wants, his club can't stop him.

Pep's said loads of times that if a player wants to leave and a bid comes in at an acceptable price to the club, he'll be allowed to leave. The only difference between that approach and a release clause is that with a release clause we know in advance how much we'll get for him if he does go.

We wouldn't keep a player against his will if a club he wanted to go to made us an offer that represented his value. We know that, but maybe Haaland's wiser than Kane and so unwilling to rely on a gentleman's agreement.

Telegraph Sport understands the release clause is between €150m and €200m.

First they say that the clause is considerably higher than the 150 million euros said in the press.
And then "Telegraph understands the fee to be between 150 million and 200 million".
It could be 150,000,001 euros or 200 million.
50 million of difference doesn't seem considerable to me when we talk about this kind of amount.

First they say that the clause is considerably higher than the 150 million euros said in the press.
And then "Telegraph understands the fee to be between 150 million and 200 million".
It could be 150,000,001 euros or 200 million.
50 million of difference doesn't seem considerable to me when we talk about this kind of amount.
"Telegraph understands" = "we makin' this up"

I'd be more surprised if there wasn't a release clause given his career moves to date.

Plus we have said and shown that we never keep a player from moving on if a suitable deal is there to be had anyway.

If we can split the £51m fee over a few seasons, which apparently we will be doing, and can command at least £150m+ after two or three seasons then I'm OK with that worst case scenario. As will our financial statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.