Welcome Erling Haaland | Signing confirmed on a 5 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be more surprised if there wasn't a release clause given his career moves to date.

Plus we have said and shown that we never keep a player from moving on if a suitable deal is there to be had anyway.

If we can split the £51m fee over a few seasons, which apparently we will be doing, and can command at least £150m+ after two or three seasons then I'm OK with that worst case scenario. As will our financial statements.

For me the frustrating thing would be if it kicks in after 2 years. Even Dortmund got 2 & a half, would have expected any clause not to be active until after 3 seasons.

To be honest, I'm surprised more footballers don't want release clauses in their contracts.

If I was a top player in this day and age I would want one. Who wants to be 'stuck' in a contract like Harry Kane is. That's why Declan Rice just rejected an 8 year contract with West Ham.

If you're a footballer it's the smart thing to do, although you probably have to make some concessions on wages if you want a release clause.

Less likely to need one at City as we're always going to be competing but I could understand why a footballer might be more comfortable with one.

For me the frustrating thing would be if it kicks in after 2 years. Even Dortmund got 2 & a half, would have expected any clause not to be active until after 3 seasons.
I imagine if what TH said about a new deal, extra year, after the first 12 months is true then the reasoning could be release clause based.

We are basically doing what we usually do… treating players as adults, forming levels of trust and respect with them, whilst winning (or at least competing hard) for every trophy. The club feels that kind of treatment is what players like. And they do, so they tend to stay. We either keep him for 5-10 years or we sell him after 2-3 years for in the region of £150-170m. Either alternative is a win for us really.

If it exists, the worst case scenario is we triple our initial investment.

Not bad business if anyone can afford it and he actually wants to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.