Welcome Julian Alvarez | Signing confirmed on a five-and-a-half year deal

Had to reply to this ,
A very poor post.
Sterling came on last Sunday and made the first goal with a piece of brilliant wing play. He saved our Season. He has scored over 100 goals in 6 years at our club.
Your dislike of Sterling is legendary , liking any post that is in any way negative about him. Have you something personal against him?

Liking any post which is negative is a generalisation, even if the ones I do like tend to be in keeping of my own overall view of him.

Which is I don't think he's a very good player and his reputation as one is vastly overstated.

His cross for the first goal was excellent, as was Zinchenko's own impact, all players will have their moments which remind us why they are cutting it in the professional game and the rest of us are sat in the stands.

I consider Raheem's decision making and technical ability very poor in general, but he gets my support every time he steps over the white line, as any City fan will afford most players wanting them to do well.

That's an important distinction from me posting and analysing his ability.

Nobody can have anything personal against him unless they know the lad.

I don't rate him an upper echelon talent and believe Pep's demand for technical excellence and security of the ball over the last two seasons has exposed his limitations.

He's overcome plenty of obstacles in his life and has plenty of charitable endeavours, but I have never taken to his game.

Liking any post which is negative is a generalisation, even if the ones I do like tend to be in keeping of my own overall view of him.

Which is I don't think he's a very good player and his reputation as one is vastly overstated.

His cross for the first goal was excellent, as was Zinchenko's own impact, all players will have their moments which remind us why they are cutting it in the professional game and the rest of us are sat in the stands.

I consider Raheem's decision making and technical ability very poor in general, but he gets my support every time he steps over the white line, as any City fan will afford most players wanting them to do well.

I don't rate him an upper echelon talent and believe Pep's demand for technical excellence and security of the ball over the last two seasons has exposed his limitations.

He's overcome plenty of obstacles in his life and has plenty of charitable endeavours, but I have never taken to his game.
One of the few times that I have to disagree with you.

Sterling has been a superb signing , and played a huge part in our success, especially under Pep.

Has he flaws? Lots, the most frustrating player in our recent history? without a doubt for me!

World class? No chance.

Effective and a top quality player? Without question, his goal and assist return is superb.

In saying that, I think it is the perfect time to say goodbye and thank you from both sides, he has peaked in term of form and would benefit from a new challenge.

But underestmating what he has achieved for us is plain wrong, I said earlier about the impact his transfer had on Liverpool, it hurt and stung them badly and for that alone we should be grateful.

Sterling has been a superb signing , and played a huge part in our success, especially under Pep.

Has he flaws? Lots, the most frustrating player in our recent history? without a doubt for me!

World class? No chance.

Effective and a top quality player? Without question, his goal and assist return is superb.

In saying that, I think it is the perfect time to say goodbye and thank you from both sides, he has peaked in term of form and would benefit from a new challenge.

But underestmating what he has achieved for us is plain wrong, I said earlier about the impact his transfer had on Liverpool, it hurt and stung them badly and for that alone we should be grateful.

What we should understand is sterling is not a natural striker or 20 goals a season forward, pep and his system demands sterling to score the goals in the false 9, we create the chances but not being a natural striker he struggles with the pressure and the demands

stick him out wide and have somebody in the box, then we have one of the best winger in the game
next season, if sterling stays, he could be a key part of breaking down teams out wide for haaland

I keep saying it, next season going to be so good for pep because of the options and the 5 subs ? So if players want to stay and not pushed out the door then city and pep have one hell of a front line option in the Premier League

Reactions: CC1

World class? No chance.

While not wholly in agreement, I respect your view and the right to express it. After all, a forum is nothing without healthy debate. I'm baffled by your final point though. Are you suggesting it's a good idea to sign a player solely on the grounds that it would piss off the fans of a rival club?

While not wholly in agreement, I respect your view and the right to express it. After all, a forum is nothing without healthy debate. In my opinion though, the final point undermines your whole argument. Can you explain why it is ever a good idea to sign a player solely on the grounds that it would piss off the fans of a rival club? I'm genuinely baffled.
We did not sign him to piss them off, I never said that.

We signed a top player from a team that at one time we would never have had a chance of signing, unless they were at the end of their career looking for a payday.

Sterling when signed was a huge talent and it was a sign of our growing reputation and growing "project" that he wanted to come to us and he had to go through a lot of very personal abuse to do so.

THe point I was making that from a football perspective his signing has been a huge success but also the damage it did to Liverpool was also huge and a reality check for their deluded fans and ex players.

The thread is about Julian Alvarez, deciding to bring Sterling into the conversation seemed strange to me.

Each to his own I guess.

I am just happy that the best coach in the World has managed to concentrate on improving Sterling, identifying his strengths and trying to improve his weaknesses,despite not being the Worlds best in front of goal. Pep picks him.Constant critiscm of Sterling is a reflection of the Coach who has picked him repeatedly since he started Coaching our team.

I realise most fans need to identify at least one player who is technically not good enough. I would have thought a player who has played at the highest level for 10 years for England's two top teams and been a first pick for England in that time must in the opinion of those elite coach's have some technical ability.

Anyway it's all about opinions, but I was told by a top Coach that footballers like water find their level over time.

You say " I don't think he is a very good player"

Argue that with any top coach and they would laugh you out of the building.

Last edited:
We did not sign him to piss them off, I never said that.

We signed a top player from a team that at one time we would never have had a chance of signing, unless they were at the end of their career looking for a payday.

Sterling when signed was a huge talent and it was a sign of our growing reputation and growing "project" that he wanted to come to us and he had to go through a lot of very personal abuse to do so.

THe point I was making that from a football perspective his signing has been a huge success but also the damage it did to Liverpool was also huge and a reality check for their deluded fans and ex players.
My apologies Keeper but, in the absence of context, that's how it could be read. I absolutely agree that his signing was a significant statement of intent on our part. Equally, it was supremely satisfying at the time to see those entitled twats expressing their usual faux outrage while simultaneously choking on humble pie. There was also much to be admired about Sterling's single-mindedness in seeing the move through. That though is more about his strength of character than footballing ability. From a purely football perspective, I'm grateful for all he's done for the club but feel it's time to wish the boy well and give him an opportunity to test his mettle abroad, if indeed that's what he wants. One thing's for sure. He would never be subjected to the disgusting abuse meeted out to him by the scouse vermin.

Last edited:
My apologies Keeper but, in the absence of context, that's how it could be read. I absolutely agree that his signing was a significant statement of intent on our part. Equally, it was supremely satisfying at the time to see those entitled twats expressing their usual faux outrage while simultaneously choking on humble pie. There was also much to be admired about Sterling's single-mindedness in seeing the move through. That though is more about his strength of character than footballing ability. From a purely football perspective, I'm grateful for all he's done for the club but feel it's time to wish the boy well and give him an opportunity to test his mettle abroad, if indeed that's what he wants. One thing's for sure, he wouldn't receive the disgusting abuse meeted out to him by the scouse vermin.
No need to apologise but it was a huge transfer for the reasons I stated.

I agree it's time to move on for the benefit of both parties and agree he won't get the dipper abuse , although he does receive some unwelcome and unnecessary abuse on here at times.

Cant argue with any of that, without that cross we wouldn't have lifted that trophy imo but for fucksake if he had finished quarter of his chances this season alone we would have wrapped it up fucking weeks ago

Not 1 blue will batter him with abuse but you can't stop anyone from there personal opinion of him

He had 2 outstanding season the rest inc this year bang average

Even in the warm up when they have shooting practice you can see how hard he trys to score but he just hasn't got that natural instinct he isn't a worldy like some people think he is

Hes been a decent signing & thank him for his services but wouldn't think twice if he went just the same as he wouldn't care if he fucked off

We need to keep evolving & we have players to easily play left or right

If I had a choice of Sterling or Mahrez then Mahrez on the right will produce better passes & balls into Haaland imo

I will never understand City fans who think like this.

He’s been “exposed”… and yet he’s still the forward Pep has picked the most over those 2 years, he still started more games than anyone else in his position, he’s the clubs second top scorer over the period.

If Pep “demands technical excellence and security” then why does Mahrez play less than Sterling? Why does Grealish play less than Sterling? Why did Torres play less than Sterling?

So what is it all these City fans who hate/“don’t rate” Sterling see that Guardiola doesn’t?

People constantly invent things they believe Guardiola has to have. The truth is that our 3 least technical players - Sterling, Walker and Dias - are absolutely integral to every success the side has because they have abilities and qualities the other 20 technically excellent players in the squad can only dream of having.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.