Welcome Julian Alvarez | Signing confirmed on a five-and-a-half year deal

I will never understand City fans who think like this.

He’s been “exposed”… and yet he’s still the forward Pep has picked the most over those 2 years, he still started more games than anyone else in his position, he’s the clubs second top scorer over the period.

If Pep “demands technical excellence and security” then why does Mahrez play less than Sterling? Why does Grealish play less than Sterling? Why did Torres play less than Sterling?

So what is it all these City fans who hate/“don’t rate” Sterling see that Guardiola doesn’t?

People constantly invent things they believe Guardiola has to have. The truth is that our 3 least technical players - Sterling, Walker and Dias - are absolutely integral to every success the side has because they have abilities and qualities the other 20 technically excellent players in the squad can only dream of having.

I think what the last couple of seasons have actually exposed is that without Sterling we would have almost zero movement in behind, which is why for all of his flaws he still finds himself on the team sheet again and again ahead of more technically proficient players

I realise most fans need to identify at least one player who is technically not good enough. I would have thought a player who has played at the highest level for 10 years for England's two top teams and been a first pick for England in that time must in the opinion of those elite coach's have some technical ability.

A slight point but the 3 years he played for Liverpool's 1st team they finished 7th, 2nd & 6th. The two seasons either side of that period they finished 8th. They certainly weren't one of England's two top teams by a country mile.

A slight point but the 3 years he played for Liverpool's 1st team they finished 7th, 2nd & 6th. The two seasons either side of that period they finished 8th. They certainly weren't one of England's two top teams by a country mile.
Kk
Point taken, The person I was replying to says of Sterling.

"I don't think he is a very good player"

He has played at the top level for 10 seasons. Statements like that are the reason people in the game think many fans are clueless.

No need to apologise but it was a huge transfer for the reasons I stated.

I agree it's time to move on for the benefit of both parties and agree he won't get the dipper abuse , although he does receive some unwelcome and unnecessary abuse on here at times.

Criticism perhaps rather than abuse? I love him but he is really, really frustrating at times.

The thread is about Julian Alvarez, deciding to bring Sterling into the conversation seemed strange to me.

Each to his own I guess.

I am just happy that the best coach in the World has managed to concentrate on improving Sterling, identifying his strengths and trying to improve his weaknesses,despite not being the Worlds best in front of goal. Pep picks him.Constant critiscm of Sterling is a reflection of the Coach who has picked him repeatedly since he started Coaching our team.

I realise most fans need to identify at least one player who is technically not good enough. I would have thought a player who has played at the highest level for 10 years for England's two top teams and been a first pick for England in that time must in the opinion of those elite coach's have some technical ability.

Anyway it's all about opinions, but I was told by a top Coach that footballers like water find their level over time.

You say " I don't think he is a very good player"

Argue that with any top coach and they would laugh you out of the building.

I would still be able to argue my opinion, irrespective of anyone else, top coach or not.

I don't consider playing for England any type of barometer.

IMO raz has two weapons in his locker. That turn of pace and positioning(he does the defensive dirty work too). The fact that sterling still gets the nod from pep in a bunch of games is easily down to our lack of pacey attackers and peps obsession with rotation.

I really don't believe there is more to it than that. Mahrez is now in his 30's too.

Respectfully, the retort of "he gets picked regular" is weak imo. I believe if pep had a similar alternative things would be quite different...i don't believe pep rates sterling lately as per tolmie's excellent post.

Opinions and all that.

Last edited:
I would still be able to argue my opinion, irrespective of anyone else, top coach or not.

I don't consider playing for England any type of barometer.
Totally agree the England National team is nowhere near our level or for that matter most top European club sides.

International football is no longer the pinnacle of the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.