Welcome Julian Alvarez | Signing confirmed on a five-and-a-half year deal

I don’t know why Sterling is being talked about here. But let’s be honest he’s been average for 2 seasons now his forms been up and down. people bringing up his stats and their good but we need to look to the future, Sterling’s form has been up and down for two seasons borderline average. If a offer came in of 50 to 60 mil then I’d sell him.

Not his past stats but what he is like now does not get into the front three.

Classic putdown.
Can't believe how emotional some posters get on here.
Not to derail the thread further but would just like to add this last thing on the sterling point. There was an unnecessary disparaging comment even if jokingly about sterling when discussing alvarez that led to this back and forth, yes it's all opinions but when that is happening even on threads that have little to do with him as a player you can get why some get a bit defensive(as long as there's no name-calling). I mean one of the most liked posts on here is one that categorically states that they don't see him as a very good player and that his reputation as one is vastly overstated. This being a player who has been one of the most influential(arguably top 3) during the club's most successful ever period it gets a bit tiresome. You would expect this type of comment from fans of other clubs who barely watch him or those who only started watching him the past few seasons. The truth is when you put down his accolades and accomplishments, there could be nothing overstated about him or his quality as a player, in fact you could argue the opposite to be true.

A highly rated teenager who breaks into the first team at just 17, plays a pivotal role in a title-challenging team leading him to win the golden boy(best young player in europe) award at 19, breaks into the national team at that age and at 20 earns a transfer which was the most for an english player at the time. The type of transfer that has derailed many highly touted young players previously especially taking into account the club he left and the vitriol he faced for it. Yet after an underwhelming first season gained the full trust of the best manager of his generation and in 17/18 produced a season which is still somewhat underrated given his exploits. 23 goals 17 assists with a few of those goals being late game winners that proved absolutely vital and ended up with a centurions season. Has an even better season in 18/19 with 25goals 17 assists ending with a domestic treble. A 19/20 season with a misfiring team and a covid break, still ending with 30 goals 10 assists. A 20/21 season where even with a complete change of system and his form taking a dip especially in the second half, still ended with 14goals and 12 assists and was a consistent feature in a 22 game-winning run which ultimately secured the title. Concluding with last season where he finished with 17goals 9assists.

Now there's no doubt that his performance levels dropped the past 2 seasons, severely in some cases. There's also no doubt that pep doesn't have the full trust in him as he previously did especially in the pivotal games in the champions league where he seeks to have more control to negate mistakes. I'm of the opinion that a fully motivated and on form sterling is more than capable of forcing his way back into contention for starting all those games. But it's one thing to say his performances haven't been good these past few seasons and a totally different one to imply he was never that good in the first place and him ever being viewed as one was false or misguided. When all is said and done though and his time at the club eventually comes to an end, there will be nothing overstated when his accomplishments are laid on the table. Under pep it currently reads 2nd Most goals scored(4 shy of aguero), 2nd most assists, most match-winners, most minutes played, 4 league titles, 1 Fa Cup, 4 League cups and possibly more all for the most technically and tactically demanding manger of all time. That doesn't happen if you are not at the very least a very good player.

As for alvarez and the thread at hand its actually scary what his potential can be, you can never be sure with players coming from south american leagues but there's something about him that makes me believe he could be very special under peps guidance. He very much reminds me of a raw version of suarez. Going from no genuine finishers to what looks to be two of the best ones in one window taking their ages into account might end up being one of if not the best windows ever. Patience is required with both him and halaand of course but I have very few doubts they will both be a success barring any injuries.

Not to derail the thread further but would just like to add this last thing on the sterling point. There was an unnecessary disparaging comment even if jokingly about sterling when discussing alvarez that led to this back and forth, yes it's all opinions but when that is happening even on threads that have little to do with him as a player you can get why some get a bit defensive(as long as there's no name-calling). I mean one of the most liked posts on here is one that categorically states that they don't see him as a very good player and that his reputation as one is vastly overstated. This being a player who has been one of the most influential(arguably top 3) during the club's most successful ever period it gets a bit tiresome. You would expect this type of comment from fans of other clubs who barely watch him or those who only started watching him the past few seasons. The truth is when you put down his accolades and accomplishments, there could be nothing overstated about him or his quality as a player, in fact you could argue the opposite to be true.

A highly rated teenager who breaks into the first team at just 17, plays a pivotal role in a title-challenging team leading him to win the golden boy(best young player in europe) award at 19, breaks into the national team at that age and at 20 earns a transfer which was the most for an english player at the time. The type of transfer that has derailed many highly touted young players previously especially taking into account the club he left and the vitriol he faced for it. Yet after an underwhelming first season gained the full trust of the best manager of his generation and in 17/18 produced a season which is still somewhat underrated given his exploits. 23 goals 17 assists with a few of those goals being late game winners that proved absolutely vital and ended up with a centurions season. Has an even better season in 18/19 with 25goals 17 assists ending with a domestic treble. A 19/20 season with a misfiring team and a covid break, still ending with 30 goals 10 assists. A 20/21 season where even with a complete change of system and his form taking a dip especially in the second half, still ended with 14goals and 12 assists and was a consistent feature in a 22 game-winning run which ultimately secured the title. Concluding with last season where he finished with 17goals 9assists.

Now there's no doubt that his performance levels dropped the past 2 seasons, severely in some cases. There's also no doubt that pep doesn't have the full trust in him as he previously did especially in the pivotal games in the champions league where he seeks to have more control to negate mistakes. I'm of the opinion that a fully motivated and on form sterling is more than capable of forcing his way back into contention for starting all those games. But it's one thing to say his performances haven't been good these past few seasons and a totally different one to imply he was never that good in the first place and him ever being viewed as one was false or misguided. When all is said and done though and his time at the club eventually comes to an end, there will be nothing overstated when his accomplishments are laid on the table. Under pep it currently reads 2nd Most goals scored(4 shy of aguero), 2nd most assists, most match-winners, most minutes played, 4 league titles, 1 Fa Cup, 4 League cups and possibly more all for the most technically and tactically demanding manger of all time. That doesn't happen if you are not at the very least a very good player.

As for alvarez and the thread at hand its actually scary what his potential can be, you can never be sure with players coming from south american leagues but there's something about him that makes me believe he could be very special under peps guidance. He very much reminds me of a raw version of suarez. Going from no genuine finishers to what looks to be two of the best ones in one window taking their ages into account might end up being one of if not the best windows ever. Patience is required with both him and halaand of course but I have very few doubts they will both be a success barring any injuries.
I don't agree with you, but that's a class reply. You make a really good argument there.

I'll only be brief with my reply, but I think Sterling's movement, pace and ability to get into position are world class. When he's running at teams, they struggle to contain him and he is a very talented player apart from one critical part of his game: when he has time to think he bottles it.

If I see (say) Salah, Mane, Kane, Son, etc etc etc through on goal I expect them to score. When Sterling does the same, I expect him to miss. If he could ever get around this, he would be the best player on the planet but I don't think he will be able to.

I think he's one of those players who could easily be a Ballon D'or winner if he could finish.

I don’t know why Sterling is being talked about here. But let’s be honest he’s been average for 2 seasons now his forms been up and down. people bringing up his stats and their good but we need to look to the future, Sterling’s form has been up and down for two seasons borderline average. If a offer came in of 50 to 60 mil then I’d sell him.

Not his past stats but what he is like now does not get into the front three.
Guess you would happily sell Grealish too then....as he doesn't get into a front 6 ;)

I know we need to draw a line under sterling in this thread, but that's an excellent post. Complete lack of respect for one of the best players of the pep era. If he goes, which he might, it should be bitter sweet and with a sense of apprehension.... Not the celebratory washing of hands that half the fanbase is demonstrating. If he does stay, watch his form completely rejuvenate with haaland as the focal point.

Alvarez is really fucking exciting but will need quite a lot of time I'd imagine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.