Well done Aleks...

Top player Aleks. Always has been. The problem was under Bobby we dropped off, and defended deep. This is not Aleks strength.
Pellegrini on the other hand always wants his full backs high up the pitch. And this suits Kolarov to a tee.
Unless Clichy ups his game in the final third, then Kolarov will probably get the majority of the starts.

Don't forget he nearly went to Mourinho's Madrid, before we signed him.
He's never been as bad as a lot on here have said.
Still everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Is there an argument sometimes for playing Kolarov on the left of midfield, and Clichy at left-back ?

I appreciate we have an embarrassment of riches in midfield, but Kolarov does offer something a little different with those balls he likes to drive into the 6-yard box. I would have thought that Negredo and Dzeko would appreciate that kind of delivery; Aguero less so, perhaps (derby match aside).

Blue Theatre said:
Is there an argument sometimes for playing Kolarov on the left of midfield, and Clichy at left-back ?

I appreciate we have an embarrassment of riches in midfield, but Kolarov does offer something a little different with those balls he likes to drive into the 6-yard box. I would have thought that Negredo and Dzeko would appreciate that kind of delivery; Aguero less so, perhaps (derby match aside).

good point I think he played a few games in midfield before he signed for us.

Vastly improved this season, Pellegrini is getting the best out of him and long may it continue. His distribution, defensive positioning and attacking play have all improved, Clichy has got to up his game to get back in and that's what we want, real competition for places.

murcian blue said:
Blue Theatre said:

I really don't like the idea, he has a great left-foot sure, but he needs space to use it effectively, otherwise he just ends up turning and passing back. Play him in midfield and i reckon he'd end up getting fewer crosses in than he does now.

It wouldn't work with him as a LW. He plays better moving forward into that space, that space vacated for his overlapping runs rather than him committing defenders and dribbling past them.

He's definitely in his element under Pellegrini. Such a shame his free kick went wide.

Btw, anyone got a GIF of his blood fuelled rage at Naismith?

jimharri said:
moomba said:
jimharri said:
Yes, and I replied to someone else who had brought up Mancini. Check the thread. Try criticizing him if you want to rage at the person who brought Mancini into the discussion. Anyway; whatever.

That poster made entirely reasonable and relevant observations. No need to rage at anyone, let alone that.
Fine. Whatever you choose to believe in. You and I will never agree on certain issues; we could be here until midnight and not get anywhere. You think you're right, and I think I'm right. Therefore, I'll leave this thread as it's pointless arguing.

Wow, the sexual tension between you two is almost chewable!

Always liked him, always defended him. Happy to see him playing so well, only wish more of our players would charge at the far post for his crosses.

pee dubya said:
murcian blue said:
Blue Theatre said:

I really don't like the idea, he has a great left-foot sure, but he needs space to use it effectively, otherwise he just ends up turning and passing back. Play him in midfield and i reckon he'd end up getting fewer crosses in than he does now.
Agreed. He needs the Left Mid occupying the Rightback, and then he can prey on the other team's winger, if he fails to trackback. If you play him at LM. That means it will be his job to actually take on the fullback. I don't think he'd be very successful at that. Worse still, he'd literally also be taking the likely spot of either one of 3 of our 4 best creative players. Our 4 most creative players being (SIlva, Nasri, Jovetic and Yaya). All 3 play sometimes on the left.

Funny enough, this is part of the reason why I doubt we will buy a Reus or Draxler type over the summer. We simply have too many creative players all vying partly for the LM position. But then again, we can always switch formations and go to a 451 :)

I'm absolutely delighted he's playing well but not so sure if he can replace Clichy permanently as his defensive sides should improve. It's surprising that no one points out his poor defending at the game against United where he looked overwhelmed by Valencia from time to time. Eventually, Milner came on and helped him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.