We're not really here?

Didsbury Dave said:
Here is the definitive history of the song.

It was sung by City fans at Luton Town in the late 80s when hundreds of City fans attended a game where they were banned. Then it vanished.

This!

Ducado said:
I always thought it came from Millwall away when they banned away fans and some got in?

Luton Town....

Millwall were the root cause of the song I suppose....

Millwall fans rioted at Luton... which forced the Luton Directors to ban away fans....

levets said:
Ducado said:
I always thought it came from Millwall away when they banned away fans and some got in?

Luton Town....

Millwall fans rioted at Luton... which forced the Luton Directors to ban away fans....
Indeed! City fans did, however, get into Luton's ground and started singing the song. I think it may have reappeared when we played Millwall away when our fans were banned in about 2001ish.

danburge82 said:
levets said:
Ducado said:

Luton Town....

Indeed! City fans did, however, get into Luton's ground and started singing the song. I think it may have reappeared when we played Millwall away when our fans were banned in about 2001ish.

I can categorically state that NO city fans sung at Millwall when we were banned :-)
The away end was empty, so any City fans there would be sat with Millwall fans... only the stupid would start to sing.

danburge82 said:
levets said:
Ducado said:

Luton Town....

I was at Luton in 1990 along with hundereds of other blues. Must admit I can't remember the song but I've been told it was by blues I trust.

The Millwall story's a total myth, trust me. The few blues who were in the ground that night kept their mouths well and truly shut.

I promise that my post above, is true.

levets said:
danburge82 said:
levets said:
Luton Town....

I can categorically state that NO city fans sung at Millwall when we were banned :-)
The away end was empty, so any City fans there would be sat with Millwall fans... only the stupid would start to sing.

That's right. I remember Huckerby scoring and 'going over to celebrate with the fans', i.e. charging over to the empty away end and posturing to the empty terraces. Goat was pissing himself.

Soooo many different rumors..lol does no one really not know when it ORIGINALLY started?

havelocke said:
Chris in London said:
Damn the OP for not having a detailed knowledge of the bluemoon back catalogue ;-)

More seriously, this song is unusual in that it is one of the few songs we sing that are barometers of the game. This gets sung when we are on top, usually after a goal or a sustained period of pressure. It's my favourite City song for that reason. It's a bit like "Come on City" in that respect, which only gets sung when we are on the back foot or need to be stepping on the gas. The dippers do a similar thing with YNWA which usually translates as 'we've won this game, we know it, you know it'.

With other songs like the Viking song or Derby day there is less of a pattern to when they get sung.

I don't agree with Vicki that it will be sung less in the future, because the only time you usually hear it apart from when we've just scored or on top is when we are doing something that for City is unusual - like play at Wembley, or away in Europe for instance. If we had got to Istanbul or Dublin you can imagine how it would have gone down there. If we are away at the Nou Camp or the Bernabeu next year for instance, you will hear it sung then.

The day we stop singing it is the day when we don't just expect success - we do now - but when we take it for granted. That's the day we start turning into the rags.

Spot on Chris...
:-)

Seconded......and it was much better than singing "what the fook are we doing here" !!

jollycity said:
To my memory, having been watching City for donkey's years. I always thought we used to sing it when we were away at third tier clubs like Macclesfield, Lincoln etc. "We're not really here" as in "Man City can't really be here in this shithole ground of a crap club"

We're not really at York City in the Third Division are we?
I think this was first sung when we played Shef United away. At the time I think we were getting beat or got beat and it was a dig sort of thing that the real city had not turned up!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.