Were you racist in 1984?

royle

I was looking at the Michael barrymore video in the thread,Lord god in heaven above... and it seems to me that racist views must of been mainstream back then,so were you racist?

I think a lot of people weren't so much racist, as ignorant.
Immigration wasn't such a big thing back then, and many areas didn't see a big influx of black, Asian and middle eastern people, I think it was a fear of the unknown rather than hatred.

A couple of months ago I was flicking through the TV channels one evening and there was an old episode of Only Fools and Horses on, must have been from the early 80's, watched it for 5 minutes and Rodney was talking to Del about what they would do for food and things if there was a nuclear attack. Del replied that he shouldnt worry as there would still be a paki shop open somewhere. The audience roared with laugher at that. I was more amazed that the line hadnt been cut out from being shown on UK Gold or whatever it was on!

I wouldn't say racist but out attitudes towards people we hadn't seen before were definitely different. We knew loads of black people by then but Pakistanis and Chinese for example were still quite rare, so we probably didn't know how to speak to them and kept them at a distance. How times change.

Bluemoon dan said:
A couple of months ago I was flicking through the TV channels one evening and there was an old episode of Only Fools and Horses on, must have been from the early 80's, watched it for 5 minutes and Rodney was talking to Del about what they would do for food and things if there was a nuclear attack. Del replied that he shouldnt worry as there would still be a paki shop open somewhere. The audience roared with laugher at that. I was more amazed that the line hadnt been cut out from being shown on UK Gold or whatever it was on!
Why's that not still funny now. It is to me.

I have never been racist.

The pub around the corner from me has NF sprayed on it walls, i still hate that pub

Skashion said:
Bluemoon dan said:

ssshhhhh you can't say that anymore Skashion!

Bilboblue said:
Skashion said:
Bluemoon dan said:

ssshhhhh you can't say that anymore Skashion!

But he's right, it is/was funny, Del did have a point too. I've seen a couple of episodes of Citizen Khan and if it's ok for them then it's ok for me too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.