West Ham Vs City Pre Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
LHarper said:
Marvin said:
Always tactics. Over-emphasised. More important is that the players are confident, pass and move. When City are at their best it's attack v defence and 4 in midfield and 2 up top are meaningless. It's when you don't have the ball that organisation is important, but I like Manuel's strategy. Keep the ball, then you don't have to defend.

A narrow City win I think, but wouldn't like to guess the team. Unlike most I suspect, I want to see a strong City team v Newcastle. A couple of players like Silva and Aguero might get a rest? I know some will say they are professional footballers, but they are also human and wont be at their best if we play them into the ground.

Tactics are the most important part of football. They can't be over-emphasised.

I think actually you are both right, tactics are vitally important but no matter what tactics are employed the players still have to carry them out.

First half against CSKA were our tactics correct?

Second half what tactically went wrong?

I'd argue that the issue on Tuesday was all down to the players easing off 2nd half. You can make a good argument that before they scored or even just after Pellegrini should have made changes and that the subs he made, in hindsight, weren't the right options.

Our formations 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 only work when players are doing their jobs, the basics, working off the ball, passing accurately and timing tackles. 2nd half on Tuesday our fundamentals fell apart and we lost control and allowed a comfortable win turn into a match decided on a bad refereeing decision. If the performance from several key players didn't dip 2nd half we win at a canter.

Mister Appointment said:
ST Coleridge said:
Grieffymcfcctid said:
just hope we dont play two upfront!! it never works, so much better with one

I SWEAR TO GOD, if we start with two strikers and Yaya in midfield, I AM GOING TO PUNCH MYSELF IN THE FACE.

It just shouldn't be an option for away games any more. And I don't want to see Yaya in midfield if Silva starts 'behind' Aguero, either (as per Spurs last week) because he's just masquerading as a forward in a 442.

I'm going to punch myself in the face, and then start a petition or something. I mean, for fuck's sake Manuel...

Go have a look at our away record playing two up top. Then feel free to punch yourself in the face right now.

Correct. Haven't we lost like once in our last 20 away games in England? Liverpool before that it's all the way back to Sunderland nearly a year ago?

Tut tut 2 up top doesn't work :(

Agree in the Champions League it doesn't but in the Prem & Cups it does we've proved it.

I love the generic two up top hatred. The two up top that put us 2-0 up and comfortable in Moscow, sorry, I mean the two up top that let us concede two and draw 2-2 in Moscow. When did Dzeko come off by the way? 70th minute? At 2-1? To put an extra man in midfield? Hmm.

We've been good away from home and I think West Ham being in good form is probably reason to play 4-4-2. They will try to attack us which should leave space. I think it will be high scoring and City can win 4-1. I would play the same team that started against Moscow and look to give Jovetic some more minutes.

I can't see WHU coming out to play

They'll be very organised, very competitive and look to break on us, and get something from a set-piece. Important we score first

supercity88 said:
I love the generic two up top hatred. The two up top that put us 2-0 up and comfortable in Moscow, sorry, I mean the two up top that let us concede two and draw 2-2 in Moscow. When did Dzeko come off by the way? 70th minute? At 2-1? To put an extra man in midfield? Hmm.

We've been good away from home and I think West Ham being in good form is probably reason to play 4-4-2. They will try to attack us which should leave space. I think it will be high scoring and City can win 4-1. I would play the same team that started against Moscow and look to give Jovetic some more minutes.

Last year in the premier League the numbers were as follows:

Started 2 up top:
Fixtures: 28
W: 20
D: 3
L: 5

Points per fixture: 2.25

Started 1 up top:
Fixtures: 10
W: 7
D: 2
L: 1

Points per fixture: 2.3

Seems like the only thing that tells me is:
1) Saying "Pellers ALWAYS plays 2 up top" pretty much marks you as someone who does not follow the club very closely. Because if you did, you would have spotted those 26.31% of league matches last year where he played one.

2) Not a whole lot else.

Statistics obviously can say whatever it is you want them to based on how presented. But for my part I will echo what Marvin said as to the formation itself being less important than a whole host of other things. Ball retention, lack of tempo, lack of runners in front of the ball, Yaya suddenly losing his passing touch. These seem to be bigger problems than "got overrun in the midfield." And I wonder how this is going to happen against most clubs who on some level are overtly trying for a 0-0 result and putting ten men behind the ball.

I don't have numbers on the Chumps league in front of me for last year, but he played one at Bayern this year. So that is one for three with one up top for the stubborn, naive, and inflexible Pellers.

Markt85 said:
It's impossible to play you guys and feel confident HOWEVER is this probably the best hammers team I've seen since the 20+ years I've been going, confidence is sky high right now and I'm sure we will give you a real game. Valencia and Sakho are a real handful at the moment. Song and Noble in the middle provide work rate and get stuck in. Hoping Kayoute will be fit. Really looking forward to it and it's nice knowing even if you stuff us 5/6 - 0 I'll still walk away feeling good about this current west ham set up.

More importantly. Anyone fancy a pint ?

You've made 9,600 posts on an opposing fans' forum???? Wow! Are we the only ones, or are a 24x7 serial poster on lots of forums?

I would like to see 2 big improvements from City tomorrow..

1. I would like us not to concede a goal - something we've struggled with this season.
2. I would like us have more control of the game - particulary in midfield and in particular if we take the lead.Many posts on here have said we are better when were chasing and I agree.

We're not having problems scoring but for me these two areas that are crucial to our sucess this season. The players owe the club a performance tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.