WH Smith rip-off

Prestwich_Blue

I needed a new refill for a good ballpoint and WH Smith had a "Buy one, get one half-price" offer. Their price was £4.99, meaning £7.50 for two.

Fortunately I checked the Pen Shop, who were selling the same thing full-price for £3.25, meaning i could get two at full price, for £1 less than Smith's "special offer". I feel a letter of complaint coming on.

supermarkets do a lot of this sort of thing, especially with bogus "half price" deals on wine. a bottle of basically undrinkable pinot grigio paintstripper, for example, is often shown as being reduced from £10.99 to "half price" £5.49 when it's never genuinely been sold at the higher price. (they're just obliged to have offered it at the inflated price for 28 consecutive days at one of their branches to claim they're offering it at half price). a bottle of the above is actually overpriced at £5.49.

It's rip off Britain. Everyone knows this. Complain all you like mate, they won't give a shit. As long as they still have all the little old ladies popping for a book and a pen refill then all is good.

Things will change when they all die though as behind them is a fully functional internet society with no need for pen refills.

I do buy books from them though but not bags as they charge 1p for them.

M&S
pot of sweet corn, carrots peas and brocolli
£1.99 Buy 1 get 1 free

Reduced on Friday short dated to £1.50

But that cancelled the buy 1 get 1 free deal!

Pointed out to the manager that that was a barmy way of doing business.

BimboBob said:
It's rip off Britain. Everyone knows this. Complain all you like mate, they won't give a shit. As long as they still have all the little old ladies popping for a book and a pen refill then all is good.

Things will change when they all die though as behind them is a fully functional internet society with no need for pen refills.

Fight the power comrade.

BimboBob said:

books?
printed on paper?

In the internet society they are electronic!
And free if you know what you're doing.

denislawsbackheel said:
BimboBob said:

books?
printed on paper?

In the internet society they are electronic!
And free if you know what you're doing.

I have Kindle on my phone. Hate it. My wife is trying to persuade me to have a proper Kindle for Christmas. I am resisting due to my love of proper books. I like the smell of a new book. I like the fact that i own it in hardback and it looks good on a shelf when i've finished it. I like proper book shops. You can spend hours in them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.