WH Smith rip-off

BimboBob said:
I have Kindle on my phone. Hate it. My wife is trying to persuade me to have a proper Kindle for Christmas. I am resisting due to my love of proper books. I like the smell of a new book. I like the fact that i own it in hardback and it looks good on a shelf when i've finished it. I like proper book shops. You can spend hours in them.

good man. my sentiments exactly.

BimboBob said:
I like the smell of a new book. I like the fact that i own it in hardback and it looks good on a shelf when i've finished colouring it.
Seriously, I like my Kindle but books with maps & illustrations don't translate well to Kindle plus you can't flick through a Kindle in the same way you can flick through a book.

Prestwich_Blue said:
BimboBob said:
I like the smell of a new book. I like the fact that i own it in hardback and it looks good on a shelf when i've finished colouring it.
Seriously, I like my Kindle but books with maps & illustrations don't translate well to Kindle plus you can't flick through a Kindle in the same way you can flick through a book.

Haha! Git...

I've got 3 bookcases in my lounge with over 350 books in.
I love books, I collect books. Got Graham Greene 1st editions, Peter Robinson signed editions etc..
However
I also have a Kindle and think it is absolutely fantastic.
It is my reading method of choice on holiday. I've got 75 books on it. Enough for a while and weighs grams.
They are fantastic products.

The only time I was ever forcibly ejected from a shop was in WH Shits. woman behind the till short-changed me out of a twenty pound note and I caused a bit of scene. Never been back since. Cool story, Bro.

As for the Kindle, I bought Mrs Jots one for our anniversary and she loves it, daft cow.

Prestwich_Blue said:
I needed a new refill for a good ballpoint and WH Smith had a "Buy one, get one half-price" offer. Their price was £4.99, meaning £7.50 for two.

Fortunately I checked the Pen Shop, who were selling the same thing full-price for £3.25, meaning i could get two at full price, for £1 less than Smith's "special offer". I feel a letter of complaint coming on.

Had you down as a crayon type of person to be honest.

:-P

.....and WH Smiths reported an increase in sales in the first half of the year. No wonder, although I dont understand why people buy from there. So much cheaper in other places. A bit like Boots. Top whack when you can get your smellies much cheaper in other places.

BimboBob said:
denislawsbackheel said:
BimboBob said:
It's rip off Britain. Everyone knows this. Complain all you like mate, they won't give a shit. As long as they still have all the little old ladies popping for a book and a pen refill then all is good.

Things will change when they all die though as behind them is a fully functional internet society with no need for pen refills.

I do buy books from them though but not bags as they charge 1p for them.

books?
printed on paper?

In the internet society they are electronic!
And free if you know what you're doing.

I have Kindle on my phone. Hate it. My wife is trying to persuade me to have a proper Kindle for Christmas. I am resisting due to my love of proper books. I like the smell of a new book. I like the fact that i own it in hardback and it looks good on a shelf when i've finished it. I like proper book shops. You can spend hours in them.

I'm not a fan of books and 2 weeks ago I would have thought you were mad for saying you could spend hours in a book shop. However, I went into a book shop last week and was in there for over 2 hours and only left becuase I had other things to do. Was a huge shop though! About 5x the size of your average waterstones

BimboBob said:
denislawsbackheel said:
BimboBob said:
It's rip off Britain. Everyone knows this. Complain all you like mate, they won't give a shit. As long as they still have all the little old ladies popping for a book and a pen refill then all is good.

Things will change when they all die though as behind them is a fully functional internet society with no need for pen refills.

I do buy books from them though but not bags as they charge 1p for them.

books?
printed on paper?

In the internet society they are electronic!
And free if you know what you're doing.

Amen brother bob. Kindle is for semi-literates who think they're playing a high-brow version of Pacman.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.