What a difference - City Fans 2014 v Pompey Fans 2019

My first away game was at City on 16/10/82, it was a 2-2-draw, 25K there and I was squashed to bits on the Kippax. Coming from a pit village Moss Side was a bit of an eye opener in 1982 to say the least!

We went to OT for our first away game in a car, as opposed to a supporters coach, as 14 year olds (with an adult driver who was a United fan), and that was the first (and only) time we got jumped on, heading back to the car park by 4/5 men, so never exactly liked them since then; self righteous twats who think its fine to take the piss out of us for going down (again), but spat their dummy out big style with us because of the Poznan.

When we brought big numbers down in 91, and Quinny scored, I could only get tickets for the Main Stand opposite the Kippax and it was a 39K sell out. Still ranks as one of the best away days ever, despite the result and yet another relegation!

Only game I wasnt bothered about losing if we had.We needed to win to go above united that day.

If I remember correctly Luton would have gone down instead of Sunderland if they had won, would have been payback for 83 too.

Been to Wembley a few times now but 2014 was unique. Despite their disappointment Sunderland fans stood on ramparts and applauded City fans as they exited the stadium.
Premier League needs clubs/fans like Sunderland - City climbed back up before we had the investment from Abu Dhabi - mainly due to people like Joe Royale Kevin Keegan and David Bernstein - hope Sunderland can do the same in the next few years.

Remember the huge away following in 1991 when we sent them down and they were sound and even saw lads swapping shirts outside the ground and lots of hand shaking from either side. Didn’t see any trouble.

Loved their Poznań on that final day in 2012!

And went down to Wembley the night before in 2014 and was drinking with Mackems on the Saturday and there was loads of City/Sunderland mingling everywhere and didn’t see a hint of trouble. Then the next day after the game neither sets of fans were rubbing it in/being sore losers.

Huge respect for Sunderland. Top club, top fans.

A bit of light ribbing here but find these Bob Mortimer songs about Sunderland proper funny:

And I’ll bet Mackems don’t take themselves too seriously and can have a laugh at that too. Imagine if someone did a song like that about Liverpool...

Last edited by a moderator:
My first away game was at City on 16/10/82, it was a 2-2-draw, 25K there and I was squashed to bits on the Kippax. Coming from a pit village Moss Side was a bit of an eye opener in 1982 to say the least!

We went to OT for our first away game in a car, as opposed to a supporters coach, as 14 year olds (with an adult driver who was a United fan), and that was the first (and only) time we got jumped on, heading back to the car park by 4/5 men, so never exactly liked them since then; self righteous twats who think its fine to take the piss out of us for going down (again), but spat their dummy out big style with us because of the Poznan.

When we brought big numbers down in 91, and Quinny scored, I could only get tickets for the Main Stand opposite the Kippax and it was a 39K sell out. Still ranks as one of the best away days ever, despite the result and yet another relegation!

I went to that game in 91 (was it really that long ago?) with a good mate who was a Sunderland fan. At the end, he just shrugged and said "where's the best pint round here?" Some years later, out in M/Cr with the same guy, we met Tueart, us for a beer, him for an orange juice. Mate says to Dennis "Did you prefer City or Sunderland?" The reply was " City, by a mile." Me giggling, mate cursing....worse than relegation in his eyes!

Always like the mackems since 91, couldn’t get my head around actually getting on with fans wearing red, white and black scarves

Had a good laugh in 2014 with same fans

Add to this that I live next door to a Newcastle fan, he’s never seen them live and is a total prick

He has plastic plants in his garden but doesn’t get irony

Good luck in hopefully the start of back to back promotions

Always had a lot of respect for Sunderland, top club and incredible away support. They did however upset me while as a seven year old listening to the 73 away replay at Roker. Still glad they beat Leeds in the final.

I was at the game with a young lady in a wheelchair. We got to Euston tube station and the lift wasn't working. With the look of despair on my face , so many Sunderland fans came over to help. They carried her up and down 3 flights of stairs. Stayed with us on the tube so they could help us at Wembley if we needed it. We went to the same pub and had a fantastic time. No trouble with anyone. Always been my second team even before that day.

Arriving back from St James Park after the 4-3. Near Piccadilly singing my head off, turned a corner and about 20 HFFs (hard faced fuckers) wearing red and white scarves coming towards me. You can guess the rest...........we got bladdered together that night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.